Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 miles

there is no better feeling than arriving at the top on a bike and knowing that you were the engine!  It also makes the coast down thrilling as well

there is no better feeling than arriving at the top on a bike and knowing that you were the engine!  It also makes the coast down thrilling as well
It's a really good flow trail down from there, too - there might even be a ride vlog of it on YouTube. If I can find one I will post it!

what altitude do you get up to on your rides?  That scenery is AMAZING!
So that ride above from Sunday was to the top of Lyman Hill. Have no idea why they call it a "hill" because that sumbitch is TALL - it's the biggest of the Cascade foothills where I typically ride. And let me back up and say we didn't make it to the top - we hit a big snow wall about a half mile ride (about 200 vertical feet or so) from the summit. That said, that ride goes from about 296 ft in elevation at the valley floor to about 4200 feet on the crest. I'll post the All-Trails link to the ride below. Rides like that - almost 20 miles round trip, and 4000 feet in elevation gain - are exactly the kinds of rides that prompted me to get my e-mtb. Could never make it to the top on my pedal bike. When we hit the snow bank, we turned around and found a log to sit on to have a snack, and immediately got woofed at by a black bear (we don't have grizzlies) just over the ridge, so we vamoosed! Saw two owls, though, and a hiker we passed had just seen a bobcat. That mountain is crawling with wildlife, which makes it fun. Cougars are the only thing that really scare me, though.  Anyway, I'll add one more pic below too, from the summit last summer - when you get to the top, the view to the east of The Sisters (6500') and Mount Baker (10,500') is ... well, the images don't do it justice.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/washington/lyman-hill

baker.jpg

Couple more pix from our ride yesterday up the Middle Fork valley - found a couple of picked-over ribcages of what I would assume were deer or elk, and lots of bear scat loaded with early berries.

dailey prairie.jpg

north twin 2.jpg

pano3.jpg

south twin 2.jpg

Ok, for the first time this year, I took my bike for a spin -- rode the Swamp Rabbit from North Greenville Hospital (er, Prisma) down to Reedy River Falls and back, for a total of 22 miles.  Beautiful day for a ride, but got to admit, the last 4 or 5 miles my ass was killing me.  I've been on foot exclusively this hear, hiking/walking/running, until today. 

I may have to look into some kind of custom coccyx orthotic before riding again...that's going to be one strange fitting/mold  :censored: .

Do you ride with a chammy? The pants with the built-in  cushion? Especially your first few rides back you might want to.

Do you ride with a chammy? The pants with the built-in  cushion? Especially your first few rides back you might want to.
Yep, I had my chammy and still got biker's butt.  It's just conditioning, I know.  But my saddle could have been a bit more friendly.

Speaking of saddle friendly, those Berka Loungers on wheels (aka recumbent bikes) were out in numbers yesterday.  I probably saw at least 1/2 dozen or so on the Trail.  When did they become so popular?

Yep, I had my chammy and still got biker's butt.  It's just conditioning, I know.  But my saddle could have been a bit more friendly.

Speaking of saddle friendly, those Berka Loungers on wheels (aka recumbent bikes) were out in numbers yesterday.  I probably saw at least 1/2 dozen or so on the Trail.  When did they become so popular?
I think virtually every kind of bike out there sold like hotcakes during the pandemic.

I think virtually every kind of bike out there sold like hotcakes during the pandemic.
Yep, the local bike shop here (Out Spokin' Bikes) had zero new bikes on their floor last fall and a back order/waiting list of 50 - 60 bikes.  It was crazy.

Yep, the local bike shop here (Out Spokin' Bikes) had zero new bikes on their floor last fall and a back order/waiting list of 50 - 60 bikes.  It was crazy.
Getting outside was the one thing everybody agreed was good for us during the pandemic - and riding kept me sane (ish) for sure.

I remember Outspokin' from my days in Columbia. Bought a rod bike there alomst 30 years ago. Still works great. Just took it for a spin this morning for 20+ miles along the greenways in Raleigh.