Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 miles

Blitzkrieg

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
Well boys as some of you may remember I am an avid bike rider. Today I hit quite a milestone. 10,000 miles total since I started. It took me 5 years, 1 month, 1 week, and 6 days. Next up? Going for 11,000!   :rockon:

Nice, Blitzkrieg.  Today, me and my brother-in-law did the trail from Table Rock State Park to Sassafras Mountain, with a summit to Pinnacle thrown in for fun.  Had a nice 3,586 feet in elevation climb.  Good to be able to get outside and be active on a beautiful day..

Nice, Blitzkrieg.  Today, me and my brother-in-law did the trail from Table Rock State Park to Sassafras Mountain, with a summit to Pinnacle thrown in for fun.  Had a nice 3,586 feet in elevation climb.  Good to be able to get outside and be active on a beautiful day..
Wow, quite a climb.  What was your distance for that ride?  Most of the riding here in the Midlands is fairly flat.

Wow, quite a climb.  What was your distance for that ride?  Most of the riding here in the Midlands is fairly flat.
Sorry, I wasn't on a bike (my bad with the phrasing) -- my biking is generally limited to under 20 miles at a shot.  We hiked the segment (part of the Foothills Trail).  I clocked it at 10.1 miles, but 0.5 of that was a side spur up and back climbing Pinnacle.  My BIL is working on completing all of the segments of the Appalachian Trail, and has looped me into his love of hiking this past year.

What's the distance of your average ride?  Do you typically do a long ride on the weekends?

Sorry, I wasn't on a bike (my bad with the phrasing) -- my biking is generally limited to under 20 miles at a shot.  We hiked the segment (part of the Foothills Trail).  I clocked it at 10.1 miles, but 0.5 of that was a side spur up and back climbing Pinnacle.  My BIL is working on completing all of the segments of the Appalachian Trail, and has looped me into his love of hiking this past year.

What's the distance of your average ride?  Do you typically do a long ride on the weekends?
Right now my average ride is about 15 miles.  I try and ride 3 days a week and lift weights 3 days.  Occasionally on the weekend I will do a 20 mile ride and several times I've done 25-26.   Now that I'm semi-retired (I work Mon -Wed) and the weather is starting to cool down (or not as hot would probably be a better description) I hope to start getting in some longer rides.

Yesterday was a wonderful day to ride after all of these 100+ heat index days.  It was 87 and the humidity was noticeably lower. 

Nice.  Look forward to hearing about your next thousand, and the nine others that will follow.

Well boys as some of you may remember I am an avid bike rider. Today I hit quite a milestone. 10,000 miles total since I started. It took me 5 years, 1 month, 1 week, and 6 days. Next up? Going for 11,000!   :rockon:
Way to go.

I have no idea how many miles I have ridden through the years. I go into road biking back in High School. Road was doing 20-30 miles regularly and sometimes 50+, including a few centuries. In college i got way into mountain biking , hitting the trails 2-3x per week, and taking trips to trails all up through NC, SC. Took some bike trips out west in Colorado & Utah. simply amazing scenery.

Over the years I got back into road biking some, and got a commuter bike to ride to work e few times a week. My biking has dropped off considerably since the kids came along. But I am starting to get back into it. Just yesterday some friends got me out on the road bike for the first time in about 6 years. we did about 20 miles. It was good to be out there.

So I have no idea how many miles I have done. It would be a pure guess. I kept a log initially, but stopped after a few years.

Way to go.

I have no idea how many miles I have ridden through the years. I go into road biking back in High School. Road was doing 20-30 miles regularly and sometimes 50+, including a few centuries. In college i got way into mountain biking , hitting the trails 2-3x per week, and taking trips to trails all up through NC, SC. Took some bike trips out west in Colorado & Utah. simply amazing scenery.

Over the years I got back into road biking some, and got a commuter bike to ride to work e few times a week. My biking has dropped off considerably since the kids came along. But I am starting to get back into it. Just yesterday some friends got me out on the road bike for the first time in about 6 years. we did about 20 miles. It was good to be out there.

So I have no idea how many miles I have done. It would be a pure guess. I kept a log initially, but stopped after a few years.
I've logged every ride I've done going back to July 22, 2015.  Most of my riding is done at Timmerman Trail in Cayce, I don't like getting out on the open road much, had a couple of close calls a few years ago.  I've also done some riding at the Columbia Canal, Harbison State Park, Saluda Shoals, and the section of the Palmetto Trail from Peak to Prosperity.

There's a riding trail that starts at the junction of the 3 rivers in Pittsburgh that goes all the way to Cumberland Md (150 miles) , and then connects with another trail that goes on to Washington DC (253 miles).  The Pittsburgh to Cumberland trail is called the Great Alleghany Passage, my brother and I are going to try and get a trip organized to do the Pittsburgh - Cumberland part.  I'm thinking 4 days and 3 nights ought to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work all of you. 

I dont do much biking, but I run. And my goal is to run 1000 miles/year, rough average of 3 miles a day. I dont run everyday, so its very challenging to get in 3 miles average a day. 

Good work all of you. 

I dont do much biking, but I run. And my goal is to run 1000 miles/year, rough average of 3 miles a day. I dont run everyday, so its very challenging to get in 3 miles average a day. 
Yeah that is a nice goal to set for running.  I used to run a lot when I was in the Army, typically 5-6 miles a run 3-4 times a week.  I tried to keep up the running when I left the Army but it was difficult to do because of a variety of reasons.  I also tried to walk/hike some but I have a bone spur on my right heel that gets real painful after I walk/run about 5 miles.  The Doctor said he could fix it surgically but I'm not a big fan of surgery unless it's absolutely necessary.

Actually that's how I got into biking, just normal every day walking doesn't bother me so I'm not going for the surgery unless it gets too painful for every day normal walking.

Congratulations my friend!  :good2:

attaboy!  I love some biking!  for 2020 I am at ~3200 miles between road, mountain, and indoor trainer!  I have gotten into power zone training for the bike which has given me something new to work towards!  Good work Blitz and keep it up!

attaboy!  I love some biking!  for 2020 I am at ~3200 miles between road, mountain, and indoor trainer!  I have gotten into power zone training for the bike which has given me something new to work towards!  Good work Blitz and keep it up!
Wow, 3200 miles in a year is incredible.  My high for a year is 2127. 

Wow, 3200 miles in a year is incredible.  My high for a year is 2127. 
well remember that is adding indoor training as well as outside!  I try to ride (something) 5-6 times/week and when I go on vacation even the bike goes along!  Like you I think it is a great exercise and nice and low impact!   I just wish I could get my diet a little better to match my work...I am working on trying to raise my power to weight ratio

That's quite a milestone! Congrats! Have gotten back into mountain biking/cross country biking myself now that my kids are older - got almost 500 miles on it last summer.

orcas.jpg

Blitz, what kind of bike do you have and what type of riding do you do most?
I have a Trek Marlin 5.  Most of my riding is done at Timmerman Trail in Cayce.  Is that an E bike in your picture?

I have a Trek Marlin 5.  Most of my riding is done at Timmerman Trail in Cayce.  Is that an E bike in your picture?
Yes, an e-mtb made by Biktrix - Juggernaut Ultra. It helps me up and down the hill (most of my rides are long climbs and descents in the Cascades foothill here in WA) in a way my old hardtail just can't anymore. My neighbor got so jealous of my adventures he bought himself an emtb too - a Trek Rail5. Beautiful bike.