Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 miles

This morning's ride took me over the 12,000 mile mark!  On to 13K!

:woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-esmall:

This morning's ride took me over the 12,000 mile mark!  On to 13K!

:woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-esmall:
Nice! Did 38 this morning. Had a minor crash when I had to veer of the trail because a toddle was in the middle of it without time to stop. Luckily I went off and slid in a grassy area. helmet cracked and saved my nogging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Did 38 this morning. Had a minor crash when I had to veer of the trail because a toddle was in the middle of it without time to stop. Looking I went off and slid in a grassy area. helmet cracked and saved my nogging.
Yeah it almost always seems to amaze other people that someone besides themselves is on the trail.  It's been my experience that when I approach people from behind and announce that I'm "coming up on your left" that more times than not they will move to the left and get directly in my path.

I've had two people walking the trail and when I made that same statement the one on the right went left and the one on the left went right????  WTH?

Women on their cell phones are the worst, I usually have to declare my presence 2-3 times before they realize I'm there.  I've had to go off the trail numerous times or come to a complete stop to avoid walkers not paying attention.  Runners seem to be more in tune to what's going on around them.

Anyway good thing you were wearing your helmet, I need to do a better job of wearing mine.  I usually only wear it when the conditions are wet and or rain is predicted.

The sense of outrage among hikers/walkers when they encounter me on a mixed use trail is always worth a laugh to me. 

Anyway good thing you were wearing your helmet, I need to do a better job of wearing mine.  I usually only wear it when the conditions are wet and or rain is predicted.
I always wear mine. Neven know when you might need it. I have had this helmet for 10 years, and just last week I thought it's about time to get a new one. I guess the cycling gods had the same idea. 

Riding The Punisher again today on Li’l Blue (anybody else name their bikes?) … never even ponder getting on it without my helmet because I am clumsy af. Mount Baker is peeking out over the top of Stewart Mtn in the background.001429BB-ED9E-4611-BBE7-CEE37101FFAC.jpeg

Ok, I have a Scott hybrid with a flat bar, and a Trek mountain bike, which I never ride.  I really want to get a road bike, maybe get rid of the mountain bike...anyone got any good "starter" recommendations?  I'd like to try to stay under a grand, and definitely considering used (looking on FB marketplace -- but values on used bikes are obscene right now, much like cars).  Thirty+ years ago, I used to have a nice little Diamondback 10 speed that I would ride out at Donaldson Center. 

Ok, I have a Scott hybrid with a flat bar, and a Trek mountain bike, which I never ride.  I really want to get a road bike, maybe get rid of the mountain bike...anyone got any good "starter" recommendations?  I'd like to try to stay under a grand, and definitely considering used (looking on FB marketplace -- but values on used bikes are obscene right now, much like cars).  Thirty+ years ago, I used to have a nice little Diamondback 10 speed that I would ride out at Donaldson Center. 
Try Pros Closet - great way to find a perfect used bike that that has had a certified once-over.

https://www.theproscloset.com/collections/certified-pre-owned

I have a Trek Marlin 5 and I love it.  Sold for $785 but I got it on sale for $735 but that was almost 4 years ago.

I have a Trek Marlin 5 and I love it.  Sold for $785 but I got it on sale for $735 but that was almost 4 years ago.
my son has a trek marlin as well...that price is what we paid last year...we felt lucky to get one

I am a member of the asheville bike market on FB...you can find some pretty good deals occasionally on used bikes...I bought a full suspension Specialized MTB for under 1000 on there...however I will say when it comes to road bikes the fit is everything so you may be different sizes in different manufacturers due to the difference in geometry...if you are getting started you need something to help keep you a little more upright until you get used to the endurance positions (different than the hybrid for sure)

I am a member of the asheville bike market on FB...you can find some pretty good deals occasionally on used bikes...I bought a full suspension Specialized MTB for under 1000 on there...however I will say when it comes to road bikes the fit is everything so you may be different sizes in different manufacturers due to the difference in geometry...if you are getting started you need something to help keep you a little more upright until you get used to the endurance positions (different than the hybrid for sure)
Same for MTBs, where Reach is the most crucial measurement, IMO.

Ok, I ended up buying a 2016 Cannondale SuperX, a gravel bike.  It came with with some 25 mm road tires.  So I'm thinking I can work on putting together another wheel set with maybe some 38-40 mm knobbies for off road, and just swap out tires depending upon where I ride.  That would also let me get rid of my hybrid and probably the mountain bike as well.  Will see, I got some dual pedals delivered today (flat one side, clips on the other).  I want to slowly transition to clipless.  Never needed clipless for the hybrid or mountain bike, and when I was riding road, I had a cage...you know back in the ancient days, when you had to ride to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

I'm excited.  Of course, it's pouring rain today, tomorrow I have multiple appointments, and Saturday I'm supposed to help my BIL move.  My timing sucks, lol.  I'm hoping I can get out on Sunday.

Ok, I ended up buying a 2016 Cannondale SuperX, a gravel bike.  It came with with some 25 mm road tires.  So I'm thinking I can work on putting together another wheel set with maybe some 38-40 mm knobbies for off road, and just swap out tires depending upon where I ride.  That would also let me get rid of my hybrid and probably the mountain bike as well.  Will see, I got some dual pedals delivered today (flat one side, clips on the other).  I want to slowly transition to clipless.  Never needed clipless for the hybrid or mountain bike, and when I was riding road, I had a cage...you know back in the ancient days, when you had to ride to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

I'm excited.  Of course, it's pouring rain today, tomorrow I have multiple appointments, and Saturday I'm supposed to help my BIL move.  My timing sucks, lol.  I'm hoping I can get out on Sunday.
You will fall over a few times standing still until you get used to the clipless. But the name 'clipless' always sounds backwards to me, since you cllip into them. But it does go back to the pedal cages. 

You will fall over a few times standing still until you get used to the clipless. But the name 'clipless' always sounds backwards to me, since you cllip into them. But it does go back to the pedal cages. 
Yeah, I'm a little worried about that.  Definitely going to practice a while before going out, and then maybe try riding on grass for a bit.  I should probably just film the whole experience and send it to America's Funniest Home Videos.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that.  Definitely going to practice a while before going out, and then maybe try riding on grass for a bit.  I should probably just film the whole experience and send it to America's Funniest Home Videos.
It's really not hard to learn. Just takes some time for your muscle memory to catch up to change your instinct to twist your foot instead of just stepping off. You'll do it fine 20 times, and just simply not think about it one time - and you just fall over instead. 

Years ago when I first got them, I remember doing a whole ride without issues. Near the end I was coming up on a stop light, slowed to a stop and went to put my foot down, and just fell over. felt like a total dumbass with people watching me in their cars. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really not hard to learn. Just takes some time for your muscle memory to catch up to change your instinct to twist your foot instead of just stepping off. You'll do it fine 20 times, and just simply not think about it one time - and you just fall over instead. 

Years ago when I first got them, I remember doing a whole ride without issues. Near the end I was coming up on a stop light, slowed to a stop and went to put my foot down, and just fell over. felt like a total dumbass with people watching me in their cars. 
Came around a corner on Wednesday just to be greeted by two other riders coming around the same corner ... so I pulled over into the rough and ... fell over. Right in front of both of them. "Check out the new guy" is what they were thinking, although they didnt say it.