Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New coach coaching staff

I wouldn't be surprised if Beamer brings some very good people that we hadn't thought about.

Maybe some lateral moves, i.e., people just wanting to work for a better boss if the money is right.

Aside from the obvious OC and DC the next most important hire to me will be the OL coach.  We have to get a line that will work together.  We got shredded on the offensive line this year by the pass rush.  

Aside from the obvious OC and DC the next most important hire to me will be the OL coach.  We have to get a line that will work together.  We got shredded on the offensive line this year by the pass rush.  
... and our DB coach, especially our safeties. Darian Stewart left campus in 2010 and we haven't had anyone near his skill back there since.

That's what I've always said!! Baffles me, too. He certainly had the resume. But, then,  I expected Muschamp to have a better than average defense...
Agreed. Always wondered why a very good DC could never seem to field a very good defense ... and his specialty, safeties, always were under-recruited and under-performing.

That is not always on the O Line coach - the QB has to adjust the blocking when they send more people than the line can block.

The line worked together just fine when Harris was running - and I have been pleased with how we have developed a good pipeline of experienced blockers. In fact, two O Linemen were helping out the D Line at season's end - even though the D Line has gotten the higher rated players.
Good point but our OL consistently is beat when we pass.  They run block well and we pull guards pretty well but we look like a totally different team on passing downs and screens.  Qbs have to make adjustments and they have to step up.  Doty rolled right into pressure as well pretty often.  Hill stood there for 3secs and was sacked.  We need beef along both lines and better coaching with a consistent type of attack. 

Good point but our OL consistently is beat when we pass.  They run block well and we pull guards pretty well but we look like a totally different team on passing downs and screens.  Qbs have to make adjustments and they have to step up.  Doty rolled right into pressure as well pretty often.  Hill stood there for 3secs and was sacked.  We need beef along both lines and better coaching with a consistent type of attack. 
I feel like that's just been the way it is for awhile.  The OL could run block but not pass block.  Sometimes it seemed the reverse.  I felt sure that Wolford would straighten them out but that hasn't happened.  Wonder if Beamer will retain him, since they were both on Spurrier's staff in 2009.  

I feel like that's just been the way it is for awhile.  The OL could run block but not pass block.  Sometimes it seemed the reverse.  I felt sure that Wolford would straighten them out but that hasn't happened.  Wonder if Beamer will retain him, since they were both on Spurrier's staff in 2009.  
I think that's a process and we need players to execute it.  If recruiting steps up along both trenches first, the results will follow. 

This.   They didn't just get beat when they were blitzed, they were beat off the edges regularly.  Big difference in a road grader to run block, vs the quick feet it takes especially for a tackle to pass block.  IMO we did not do a very good job on evaluating and coaching up pass blockers.  

Rod Wilson was a ST guy at KC (Super Bowl ring) and spent most of his NFL career on ST. That's may be one reason Shane wanted to retain him.