Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New coach coaching staff

I wish everybody on the staff the best of luck. Not an easy or forgiving profession, but it is what it is.

Imma throw out a name for DBs coach that is based on NOTHING except his relationship with Beams and the Beamer family: Cam Chancellor. Again, just spaghetti on the wall. But could be an eye-opener.

It looks like the T-Rob thing moved a little faster than that.

It looks like the T-Rob thing moved a little faster than that.
So, does that confirm no bowl game?  I wouldn’t think we’d have new coordinators installed by the bowl game, and he is still under contract, isn’t he?

So, does that confirm no bowl game?  I wouldn’t think we’d have new coordinators installed by the bowl game, and he is still under contract, isn’t he?
I don't know. Beamer is doing one on one meetings with all of the current staff right now. That has been the only one where the outcome has been confirmed.

Safely say Shaw will be here and linebackers coach Rod Wilson, most likely they will be the only two. Coordinators, Beamer will go after his top target Garrett Riley as his offensive coordinator. Riley is, of course, the younger brother of Lincoln Riley, whom Beamer spent the past three years working for as assistant head coach and tight ends coach. The younger Riley is in his first season as SMU’s offensive coordinator, and prior to that spent time in the Carolinas as Appalachian State’s running backs coach. Riley followed his brother at Texas Tech and East Carolina, and also deposited a stint at Kansas.

Shaw is one of the most beloved Gamecocks in  our program history, earning a 27-5 record as a quarterback from 2010-13. His time briefly overlapped with Beamer, who spent the last of his four years as a Gamecocks assistant in 2010. And Wilson is another alum who joined the staff in 2020 after serving as assistant special teams coach for the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs. He previously spent 2013-16 as the safeties coach at Charleston Southern following the conclusion of a 6-year NFL career.

Now on the defensive side. Beamer’s defensive coordinator search could go in a couple of directions here, but the names mentioned most commonly are North Carolina’s Jay Bateman and Coastal Carolina’s Chad Staggs.

Bateman has no prior working relationship with Beamer. Whats interesting here, he did coordinate defenses at Army while South Carolina president Bob Caslen was president of the U.S. Military Academy.

Now on Staggs he has spent his entire career in the Carolinas — he and Beamer overlapped in Columbia for a year; Beamer was South Carolina’s cornerbacks coach and Staggs a defensive GA — and currently runs the No. 11 scoring defense in the country at Coastal. His Chanticleers defense held BYU to 17 points on Saturday night; the Cougars had been held under 40 just once in nine games previously.

The other question here that lot of our poster here is  is whether Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Bud Foster will assist Beamer in some capacity. Foster, of course, he had one of college football’s best defenses for Frank Beamer. Foster’s relationship with the Beamer family stretches back to when Shane was four years old. GO COCKS LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN. 

Hey all from Sooner Nation.

First off, I think you guys made a great hire. Beamer came to Oklahoma and we immediately started seeing more recruiting success in the southeast than we had in probably over a decade. I think he was a big part in signing Haselwood out of Georgia among other players. I know the Gamecocks have some very talented football players, so that isn't necessarily anything new to South Carolina football, but talent accumulation sure won't change with Beamer at the helm.

And a little about Beamer as a coach... It was obvious from the outset that Beamer knew special teams play  thanks to his dad, as we've blocked more kicks and punts and our coverage units have popped off more big returns than it's felt like happened in the back half of Bob Stoops' career. He came to Oklahoma to learn offense under Lincoln Riley, and while he was here we saw record setting groups and Heisman winners and finalists. The Georgia  pedigree on defense, as I'm sure you all can attest, is also very good. It's very obvious that Beamer has gone where he has gone to try and form a cohesive working knowledge of all three phases of the game of football, learning from and working with the best, with the ultimate goal of becoming a head coach at a major college football program. I think he has done that in his stops over the years and will be a great leader at USC.

But I wanted to share something that was posted on an OU football forum. Not sure if this has been shared already but new coaching staffs and hires are always fun to speculate over:

First off, the word in the coaching profession is Beamer is expected to target Garrett Riley as his offensive coordinator.

Riley is, of course, the younger brother of Lincoln Riley, whom Beamer spent the past three years working for as assistant head coach and tight ends coach. The younger Riley is in his first season as SMU’s offensive coordinator, and prior to that spent time in the Carolinas as Appalachian State’s running backs coach. Riley followed his brother at Texas Tech and East Carolina, and also deposited a stint at Kansas.

--

Elsewhere, sources anticipate Beamer to retain quarterbacks coach Connor Shaw and linebackers coach Rod Wilson.

--

Beamer’s defensive coordinator search could go in a number of directions, but the names mentioned most commonly in the profession are North Carolina’s Jay Bateman and Coastal Carolina’s Chad Staggs.

Bateman has no prior working relationship with Beamer, but did coordinate defenses at Army while South Carolina president Bob Caslen was president of the U.S. Military Academy.

Staggs has spent his entire career in the Carolinas — he and Beamer overlapped in Columbia for a year; Beamer was South Carolina’s cornerbacks coach and Staggs a defensive GA — and currently runs the No. 11 scoring defense in the country at Coastal. His Chanticleers defense held BYU to 17 points on Saturday night; the Cougars had been held under 40 just once in nine games previously.

The other question here is whether Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Bud Foster will assist Beamer in some capacity. Foster, of course, had tenure running one of college football’s best defenses for Frank Beamer. Foster’s relationship with the Beamer family stretches back to when Shane was four years old.