Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Bright Spots Thread

Watched again a little this morning.  The hit Burch put on the kick return guy was special.  Also saw this morning where Mr. Harris hit almost 22mph on that long run.  That big man can roll.  Reminds me a little of Mike Davis in build and speed.  Also heard Brooks is cleared to play now.  Oh and Ernest Jones is a beast.  Surprised by some of the names near the top of this list.   http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/team/648/tackle/index.html  Engabore having a good year.  Leads the team in sacks with 3 
These two things.

Our football team right now reminds me of Frank's team last year once they got to playing well on both ends of the court.  There was an electricity in the air last February that hadn't been there since the year of the Final Four run.

The FB team still needs to be consistent every week and it's one game at a time, but I sense the excitement of the 33-6 years coming back if we continue playing well on both offense and defense.

a few random stats/analytics thru 3 games.  espn effeciency ratings out of 76 teams, offense 21st, defense 38th, special teams 55th.  we'll see if we can sustain or improve the following defensive stats.  17th nationally in yards per carry allowed at 3.21, we finished last year 61st nationally and gave up 4.36 in sec play.  currently 2.33 sacks per game, the season high under muschamp in sec play is 2.13. 

Boom has recruited well since he has been here, and last year was one of his better classes. I cannot say that talent has not been an issue, but we should be a better team than we have shown - based on recruiting alone.

So it falls to coaching and player development. I agree that this year is so different that it is hard to fire coaches based on the results. But I would love to see us come together and surprise a couple of teams, like we did with UGA last year. Auburn would be a good team to start with.
I think we have the capability to have a good season. If we limit mistakes and don’t drop critical passes, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU look like potentially winnable games. I think we have a good chance at beating UK, Mizzou and Ole Miss, beating UGA again will have to be a perfect game. Their defense looks very good.

Also heard Brooks is cleared to play now
Is there a link to that? Last I read we were still in the appeal process.

Potentially great news if true, provided he lives up to his hype from camp. We desperately need another playmaker to open things up for Shi.

Hopefully the young man wins his appeal, hits the field, and does great things. 

Is there a link to that? Last I read we were still in the appeal process.

Potentially great news if true, provided he lives up to his hype from camp. We desperately need another playmaker to open things up for Shi.

Hopefully the young man wins his appeal, hits the field, and does great things. 
That was my mistake.  I saw something saying he was cleared, but it must have been wishful thinking on the part of whoever said it.  

I think we have the capability to have a good season. If we limit mistakes and don’t drop critical passes, Auburn, LSU, and TAMU look like potentially winnable games. I think we have a good chance at beating UK, Mizzou and Ole Miss, beating UGA again will have to be a perfect game. Their defense looks very good.
They look much better than I thought they were.  Speed, size and strength all over the field. 

efficiency courtesy of footballoutsiders, last year we finished 104th in ofei and 28th in dfei which is their efficiency ratings adjusted for sos.  so many teams havent played so it throws off the numbers a bit to say where we rank this year, but if you placed our current numbers into last year we would be tied for 47th in ofei and tied for 27th in dfei. 

I think we can all rest easy and feel reassured knowing that any recruits coming to Carolina now are doing it for the right reasons.....academics.

A quick read through of this thread has brought me to a revelation. 

Most of the items we have touted as bright spots have now turned sour.

I just hope we can find a way to turn this season around. 

Lets start by beating Ole Miss.

A quick read through of this thread has brought me to a revelation. 

Most of the items we have touted as bright spots have now turned sour.

I just hope we can find a way to turn this season around. 

Lets start by beating Ole Miss.
I just don't see it.  Ole Miss put up 48 points against Bama.  Their defense sucks but our offense will stop itself more times than Ole Miss's defense.  Ole Miss 45 - SC 23.

Missouri is coached by the same guy that brought App State to Columbia last year and whipped our asses, with better resources he'll do it again this year. 27 - 19.

UGA will beat us about 38 -17, they're not going to gift us 4 turnovers like they did last year.

UK has a really stout defense which means we will likely manage about 10 - 13 points and lose say 16 - 13. 

A glorious 2-8 record in year 5. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see it.  Ole Miss put up 48 points against Bama.  Their defense sucks but our offense will stop itself more times than Ole Miss's defense.  Ole Miss 45 - SC 23.

Missouri is coached by the same guy that brought App State to Columbia last year and whipped our asses, with better resources he'll do it again this year. 27 - 19.

UGA will beat us about 38 -17, they're not going to gift us 4 turnovers like they did last year.

UK has a really stout defense which means we will likely manage about 10 - 13 points and lose say 16 - 13. 

A glorious 2-8 record in year 5. 
Listen, Muschamp said we are close. If we clean up a few things, we can really get this train moving. 

Looking at The Ole Miss game  box score made me nostalgic for the 79-80 80-18 years - Looked like Gary Harper and George era. A QB with pedestrian numbers and a RB with amazing ones.  In 1980 that was good for 8-3 for the season.