Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal with Shane Beamer?

Here's something to think about. What if the whole Shane Beamer thing is just a smoke screen to keep the starting salary low? Assuming the mutual interest reports between Napier and USC are accurate, then the only hang up would be how much he gets paid. USC has an interest in keeping the salary on the lower end while Napier's agent would be trying to get as much as he can. If the reports that Napier has been holding out for this job are true, then he may not be willing to rock the boat too much in terms of starting salary.

In comes the Beamer interest. It is also reported that he really wants to be here. And since he has no head coaching experience, it's reasonable to assume he would be more willing to accept a lower salary to start. So the school leaks the reports that Beamer is high on the list of consideration in order to influence Napier's salary expectations.

This is just pure conjecture on my part btw. I have zero idea how all of the coach hiring stuff works.

Here's something to think about. What if the whole Shane Beamer thing is just a smoke screen to keep the starting salary low? Assuming the mutual interest reports between Napier and USC are accurate, then the only hang up would be how much he gets paid. USC has an interest in keeping the salary on the lower end while Napier's agent would be trying to get as much as he can. If the reports that Napier has been holding out for this job are true, then he may not be willing to rock the boat too much in terms of starting salary.

In comes the Beamer interest. It is also reported that he really wants to be here. And since he has no head coaching experience, it's reasonable to assume he would be more willing to accept a lower salary to start. So the school leaks the reports that Beamer is high on the list of consideration in order to influence Napier's salary expectations.

This is just pure conjecture on my part btw. I have zero idea how all of the coach hiring stuff works.
You may be right about this. It certainly makes sense to me. Whenever agents are involved, money is the major topic of the conversations. 

Hey, guys so I had spoken with Phil on the  talk show and had mentioned that we need someone with ties in the southeast and he  has ties to most of the high schools in the south to get kids to USC,  they say he's  great with the kids and the High School coaches here really relate to him , so could be an long shot , but I still like Chadwell, Freeze, and  maybe the  O.C.  at N.C.   Maybe Billy  Napier , and the # 1 pick would be Myer for 2 years to get back on track.

Myer is not coming, and Freeze they say has too much baggage for the Board, so let's go get Chadwell with that said and be done. could we hope that maybe Derick Mason would be possible for the defense, if we get an young guy he  was great at Stanford, got to believe he's on his way out at Vandy.

Ok I am convinced let's go get Napier today, and be done with it .   I like Chad at Costal   Beamer would be third choice .

Billy Napier is the right man for the job. If SC is scared of Hugh Freeze's baggage, they should take Billy Napier and never look back. From what I hear, he'd take the job and he'd stick around a while.

Quick article from ESPN that also claims Napier wants this job and that he is a perfect fit:

https://espnupstate.radio.com/blogs/offsides-with-marc-ryan/billy-napier-the-logical-choice-as-next-gamecocks-head-coach
I love when Christians say "I'm all for forgiveness" and then go on to give you all the reasons they aren't going to forgive someone. Also I hope his SO didn't read his analogy about how he settled because he stopped caring about a partner that was sexy. Good grief

I love when Christians say "I'm all for forgiveness" and then go on to give you all the reasons they aren't going to forgive someone. Also I hope his SO didn't read his analogy about how he settled because he stopped caring about a partner that was sexy. Good grief
If we have the chance to hire him and don't we'll regret it because he will end up in the SEC somewhere.

If we have the chance to hire him and don't we'll regret it because he will end up in the SEC somewhere.
Sure, I don't claim to be an expert on which coach is better or worse. CWM was a very bad choice for multiple reasons, including character flaws. I don't think Freeze or Napier have those issues. I just hated the article. 

That was pretty poorly written piece IMO.  You can question if he has truly changed, without it having anything to do with forgiveness.  Part of me wonders just how successful he would have been at Ole Miss if he was not cheating his ass off.  He had some serious talent rolling in there.  Could he do the same at USC without the cheating or would he feel the pressure to go back to the cheating.  I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but I would hope people involved in this search could dig in deeper and get a better read because we all know how arbitrary the NCAA is if there are violations of any type and they definitely have not leaned our way in the past.    

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty poorly written piece IMO.  You can question if he has truly changed, without it having anything to do with forgiveness.  Part of me wonders just how successful he would have been at Ole Miss if he was not cheating his ass off.  He had some serious talent rolling in there.  Could he do the same at USC without the cheating or would he feel the pressure to go back to the cheating.  I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but I would hope people involved in this search could dig in deeper and get a better read because we all know how arbitrary the NCAA is if there are violations of any type and they definitely have not leaned our way in the past.    
I completely agree. 

Even though I realize my opinion is simply that...just my opinion...and I don't want to appear to be dogging Shane Beamer for any reason...he is by all accounts a good guy, great recruiter and fine football coach...but after really looking at their collective resumes there is quite simply no way anyone could argue Beamer is more qualified or a better coach than Napier...no way. I'm not going to go through every stat and detail but some things are just not debatable. 

Yes, both are coaches sons...their fathers were legends...I know everyone knows Frank but Bill Napier was such a High School coaching legend that when he was stricken with ALS a video was made to honor his life and career and to help raise money for ALS...not only was it filled with current and former players but people like Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Vince Dooley, Watson Brown, Peyton Manning, multiple players he has coached and sent onto college and into the NFL, etc. showed up to honor Coach Napier.

Yes both played the game...Shane ended up a long snapper at VT and Billy Napier was a four year lettermen and two time all conference QB at Furman...neither of these two things makes one a great coach but being the son of a coach and playing the game sure helps...but neither would mean one was the better more accomplished coach now. 

I could now walk through all sorts of numbers and stats and coaching stops and coaches each worked for and under but not only would that take far to much time it would also only be building towards the final facts of the matter. We know both are great recruiters and again both have coached for/with/under some great coaches and programs...Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, VT, Oklahoma, etc...Saban, Dabo, Spurrier, etc. 

But the fact remains...Napier has been...among other things...the Offensive coordinator and QB coach at multiple stops at the highest level of the sport...BTW...when he was the single youngest coordinator...offensive or defensive...in the country and Clemson history...at 29...he was directly responsible for setting the Clemson all-time scoring record up until that point.

He has now been...not only...the head coach at a Sunbelt Conference team he has in the top 25 for the second year in a row...out of three years as the head coach...but he also calls the plays and coaches the QBs...like Spurrier did...while running the entire show as its head coach...in his second year at UL-La his offense broke every single offensive record they keep...including points in a season and yards in a season...had his team/offense ranked in the top 20 nationally in total offense, rushing offense, scoring offense AND scoring defense. Three straight conference division titles...back to back top 25 national rankings...at UL-La...etc. etc,...vs...Shane Beamer who has NEVER called a single play as a coordinator ever...at any level...for any team.

Sorry to ramble...and prove I am putting far to much thought into a process I have nothing to do with...but...I believe Billy Napier could be our guy for the next decade or more and that he is without question the most qualified with the best resume and the best man in general for the job. There is no baggage here...just upside.
It has to be Napier or the man at Costal , the 2 are just heads above everyone else that S.C. can afford , I still think there should be an clause that reads if you don't win 7 games min, then you only get 50% of the monies. The universities have to start thinking about putting more bonuses in rather than just pay all up front.   I think Tanner knows now he's just playing the media after he got took last time.

It has to be Napier or the man at Costal , the 2 are just heads above everyone else that S.C. can afford , I still think there should be an clause that reads if you don't win 7 games min, then you only get 50% of the monies. The universities have to start thinking about putting more bonuses in rather than just pay all up front.   I think Tanner knows now he's just playing the media after he got took last time.
I doubt they haven't thought of making the contracts more favorable for them. However, you get what you pay for. If you want a University friendly contract (ie less guarantees), then you have to expect that only a lower quality or higher risk coach is going to consider it. There is a big risk in losing money by trying to save money, if you get what I mean. 

I know this is supposed to be a slight against Warlick, but given the state of the program the last few years I would absolutely take a Warlick level of success. She won right at 70% for conference games. While here Spurrier won 52% and Muschamp won 43% in conference games. If the next coach can win 70% against the SEC, I think we would all be happy for a while. If the next coach hits a plateau and can't win quite as much as we'd like, the program would be in a much better state than it is now.
Warlick had almost as much talent as Dawn but she struggled to get to the NCAA tournament.  Our next coach doesn't have that kind of talent to rely on.  He'll fail miserably if he's as good a coach as Holly was for UTjr.

That was pretty poorly written piece IMO.  You can question if he has truly changed, without it having anything to do with forgiveness.  
Agree....it's more about trust. Do we trust this guy? Or should we ask does Lt Gen Caslen trust him? 

South Carolina can afford to pay the going rate. Eli Drinkwitz just went from App State after one year to Missouri and signed a 6 year/$24 million contract...$4 million a year...with a base salary of $450,000 plus all the other shit that gets him to that $4 million...the SEC money we get each year pays that and then some. If we are going to try and get a coach on the cheap then maybe we shouldn't be in the SEC...bail and join the Sunbelt.

The entire contract isn't here but this does give some idea how the Drinkwitz contract is structured:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article238234269.html

Last edited by a moderator:
South Carolina can afford to pay the going rate. Eli Drinkwitz just went from App State after one year to Missouri and signed a 6 year/$24 million contract...$4 million a year...with a base salary of $450,000 plus all the other shit that gets him to the 4$ million...the SEC money we get each year pays that and then some. If we are going to try and get a coach on the cheap then maybe we shouldn't be in the SEC...bail and join the Sunbelt.

The entire contract isn't here but this does give some idea how the Drinkwitz contract is structured:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article238234269.html
agreed. if you want a decent coach, you have to spend money on a decent coach. We just bought a clunker the last time around. 

Spoke to the Gray Collegiate coach last night, who played at USC under Scott and Holtz. He's all about Beamer. 

Melvin Ingram tweeted out his support of Beamer as well. 

Not that these guys have anything to do with the hiring of coaches, but Beamer sounds like it might happen.