Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the deal with Shane Beamer?

In a time long ago, when we were successful, he was recruiting director under then-coach Steve Spurrier, if I'm remembering correctly. Left to join his dad a VaTech. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In a time long ago, when we were successful, he was recruiting director under then-coach Steve Spurrier, if I'm remembering correctly. Left to join his dad a VaTech. 
Yeah, I remember. He was special teams coach. Still don't know why he is a serious candidate

Why is he considered a serious candidate for this job?
I have absolutely no idea...I've asked this very question in another thread and no one has even tried to explain where this comes from...he once worked here...we all know his dad...that's all I've gotten so far

Basically from what I gathered, it's something like this:

(Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just parroting what I see other people saying.)

- Was the RC for us and built and maintained some healthy relationships with the high schools in our usual recruiting region.

-  Also has a good relationship with high schools in the Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia areas.

- Impressed a lot of our former players, i.e. Shaw, Ingram, Garcia, Newton, Lattimore, Gurley, etc. with his fire and football knowledge.

- Has s lot of respect and friendships in the coaching community. (meaning he can put together a damn good staff)

- Has learned offense under Spurrier and Lincoln Riley. The thought is that he would bring some of Oklahoma's offensive style here.

- He really wants this job.

- The people who are rooting for him, boosters, former players, really want him here.

- He has a famous last name.

- He grew up in Charleston.

The real reason I think a lot of the head honchos want him is that it's thought he would be the CEO/Cheerleader type of head coach the way a certain other coach is. His connections in the coaching community would make it easier to bring in and/or retain top notch assistants to do the play calling. As for the players, all I can say is that the ones who played under Spurrier like him for the job and hated Muschamp for the job. Some of that could be bias since they worked with him and never worked with Muschamp, but at least those guys know what it's like to win here. So take that for what it's worth. (a grain of slat)

I think he would be a risky hire, but less risk than we accepted when Muschamp was hired.

- Was the RC for us and built and maintained some healthy relationships with the high schools in our usual recruiting region.

-  Also has a good relationship with high schools in the Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia areas.

- Impressed a lot of our former players, i.e. Shaw, Ingram, Garcia, Newton, Lattimore, Gurley, etc. with his fire and football knowledge.

- Has s lot of respect and friendships in the coaching community. (meaning he can put together a damn good staff)

- Has learned offense under Spurrier and Lincoln Riley. The thought is that he would bring some of Oklahoma's offensive style here.

- The people who are rooting for him, boosters, former players, really want him here.

The real reason I think a lot of the head honchos want him is that it's thought he would be the CEO/Cheerleader type of head coach the way a certain other coach is. His connections in the coaching community would make it easier to bring in and/or retain top notch assistants to do the play calling. As for the players, all I can say is that the ones who played under Spurrier like him for the job and hated Muschamp for the job. Some of that could be bias since they worked with him and never worked with Muschamp, but at least those guys know what it's like to win here. So take that for what it's worth. (a grain of slat)

I think he would be a risky hire, but less risk than we accepted when Muschamp was hired.
Thanks for the info.

Some of that sounds good, but I would prefer someone who has been a head coach, and has actual experience with all those things. 

Another thing to think about is that statement about wanting to have a coach in place sooner rather than later in order to calm the waters some before the early signing period next month. Guys who are currently head coaches may not be able or willing to leave that soon where an assistant head coach would be able to move quicker. 

I think much of what was said above is the main reason.  The staff would be key if Beamer were to get the job.  He can definitely recruit and really seems to understand that process, which is why Spurrier (who loathed recruiting) had him on his staff.  Again if this was the move and I really would prefer someone with HC experience, he does have a lot of experience and connections to put together a good staff and he really wants to be here.  I am still more interested in Freeze or Napier that can hit the ground running.  I would say that Beamer may offer the best chance to involve some former players in the staff as he has a relationship with many of them from the best years the University has ever seen and I am a firm believer that we need to get more involvement from some Alum, like CS that have higher expectations of this program.  

Oher then being a great recruiter, what has he done? I haven't kept up with him since he left for VT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Beamer

In 2007, Shane was hired by Steve Spurrier at the University of South Carolina to coach outside linebackers and to serve as the special team coordinator.[4] In 2008, the Gamecock defense finished 2nd in pass defense and 13th in total defense nationally. His 2009 special teams unit blocked five kicks, tying for the SEC lead and ranking eighth in the nation, while the Gamecock defensive unit finished third in the SEC in total defense and fifteenth in the nation.[5]

In his final two years in Columbia, Beamer also served as recruiting coordinator for the Gamecocks. The 2009 class was ranked 12th best in the nation by Scout.com and Rivals.com and included future NFL draft picks Stephon Gillmore and Alshon Jeffery.[5] Both the 2010 and 2011 recruiting classes ranked in the top 25 and included former South Carolina stars Marcus Lattimore and Connor Shaw.[5]

Now to counter-point, Beamer's success would hinge entirely upon his assistant coaches' abilities assuming he takes on that CEO role. That is not to say that he cannot bring in some good ones, but it also doesn't mean that other candidates with HC experience cannot also bring in some good ones too. 

To me his biggest selling points are his recruiting ability and his reputation and endorsements by former Gamecock greats. I think he has the potential to be a successful head coach, but there is not a lot of objective evidence to support that claim. Either way, I think he would not be worse than what we've had.

Thanks for the info...but...none of this even sort of changes my mind about why we would want Shane Beamer as our head coach.

Other than once working here...Billy Napier is all of this only with a wildly better resume and proven success as a head coach...who also wants this job...and has made it clear for a couple years now. 

And no offense...but I haven't been able to find a single word/link or indication that 'former players'...especially the ones listed...want him to be the new head coach at SC...not that it would matter to me. 

Thanks again...but when even this post lists he grew up in SC and we know his father are listed as 'pros vs cons'...I still don't get it. 

Thanks for the info...but...none of this even sort of changes my mind about why we would want Shane Beamer as our head coach.

Other than once working here...Billy Napier is all of this only with a wildly better resume and proven success as a head coach...who also wants this job...and has made it clear for a couple years now. 

And no offense...but I haven't been able to find a single word/link or indication that 'former players'...especially the ones listed...want him to be the new head coach at SC...not that it would matter to me. 

Thanks again...but when even this post lists he grew up in SC and we know his father are listed as 'pros vs cons'...I still don't get it. 
Totally agree.  If Beamer was the play, I would feel like we settled instead of trying to get the best.  

Like I said, these are not my words. I'm repeating what others are saying. As to that point, I have only personally seen/heard Tori Gurley make that endorsement. 

well said...I still don't understand the love for Beamer

Totally agree.  If Beamer was the play, I would feel like we settled instead of trying to get the best.  
One thought is he may be a viable fall back plan. He can likely be had for cheap and could be a "project" like Swinney. I just don't see Caslen going for it. 

One thing about Swinney....he's smart & he's learned how to win. 

One thought is he may be a viable fall back plan. He can likely be had for cheap and could be a "project" like Swinney. I just don't see Caslen going for it. 

One thing about Swinney....he's smart & he's learned how to win. 
Agree. If Napier wants to come here as someone said earlier and the details can be worked out,  then I think this becomes a non-issue.  I am not so worried about next years class, having a name that can hold onto what we currently have with this year not counting against eligibility is a larger deal imo and I think we can afford to wait on Napier and get this right.  

Take beamer as an assistant...I'm good with that. If we bring him in, why not just keep muschamp. We need an offensive guru. I know freeze has baggage, but I think there is a lot of upside to his football accumen.