Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (not) too early coaching search thread

The odds on favorite, according to the people with "sources", is Napier.

FWIW

I have seen lots of conversations on sites about big name coaches that could be next in line. I think for someone like the statue of Urban the selling point would have to be "beat SOS records". As nice as our stadium and facilities are, big name coaches they have seen it. Crazy fan base they know that too. So for a name coach to come to USC what can we offer that other "winning programs" have?

? Starting from scratch with player development

? New more effective recruiting program and going head to head with you know who

? Tanner said Muschamp designed he new Football Center, its his baby, so a new coach with credentials comes and says this is all wrong?

???????? Thoughts

I have seen lots of conversations on sites about big name coaches that could be next in line. I think for someone like the statue of Urban the selling point would have to be "beat SOS records". As nice as our stadium and facilities are, big name coaches they have seen it. Crazy fan base they know that too. So for a name coach to come to USC what can we offer that other "winning programs" have?

? New more effective recruiting program and going head to head with you know who

? Tanner said Muschamp designed he new Football Center, its his baby, so a new coach with credentials comes and says this is all wrong?

???????? Thoughts
My thoughts are contrary to what some people say this is a great job.  Excellent facilities, tremendous fanbase, great place to live, good recruiting area etc.

A competent coach that could come in here and win 7-8 games a year with an occasional 9-10 win season and beating tater tech 4-5 times out of 10 would be celebrated like no other and be rewarded financially and adored by a starving fanbase.

This hire would mean 2 things......We have excellent credit..........Were f’n serious!

Maybe he can bring Brad Scott with him.
Quote from Sporting News:

Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator  

Would South Carolina dare go after their biggest rival’s longtime defensive coordinator? Venables has been with the Tigers since 2012, and the 49-year-old has yet to entertain taking on a head coaching job. The Tigers have won six in a row against the Gamecocks, but this is the kind of aggressive hire that might be worth taking a chance on given how many coaching searches Venables' name might turn up in this offseason. The chances here are slim, but it would be the most entertaining hire on this list.  

Billy Napier!

This article is from a little over two months ago:

"He may have the old school Saban accountability but there’s some new-school Swinney likeability mixed in as well."

"We aren’t expecting a volatile coaching carousel season. Athletic departments are imploding, revenue is evaporating and the appetite for buyouts and paydays for new hires will be lacking. But we weren’t expecting Jay Hopson to be gone already from Southern Miss, either. One week into the season and the carousel is already spinning. A job like South Carolina or NC State would make a lot of sense for Napier. Perhaps even a Big 12 job like, say, Oklahoma State could be enticing if happned to open."

https://247sports.com/Article/Billy-Napier-Louisiana-football-coaching-carousel-next-hot-name-151316712/

This one from a month ago:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/12/louisiana-football-billy-napier

Last edited by a moderator:

???????? Thoughts
Not sure how I feel about Urban. I'm pretty sure he could come in a win, and win quickly. But I see him as another Holtz / Spurrier. Hall of Fame coach at the twilight of his career. He'll give it a good 5 or so years and then start mailing it in. Just like Holtz and SOS did. 

Not sure how I feel about Urban. I'm pretty sure he could come in a win, and win quickly. But I see him as another Holtz / Spurrier. Hall of Fame coach at the twilight of his career. He'll give it a good 5 or so years and then start mailing it in. Just like Holtz and SOS did. 
As long as it's not a spurrieresque quit on the program and leave them with the bill I'd be happy. 

I do agree, a younger coach who would be more likely to stay for the long haul would be a better option.

Quote from Sporting News:

Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator  

Would South Carolina dare go after their biggest rival’s longtime defensive coordinator? Venables has been with the Tigers since 2012, and the 49-year-old has yet to entertain taking on a head coaching job. The Tigers have won six in a row against the Gamecocks, but this is the kind of aggressive hire that might be worth taking a chance on given how many coaching searches Venables' name might turn up in this offseason. The chances here are slim, but it would be the most entertaining hire on this list.  
I think with the way the league is changing we need an offensive minded head coach.  Also Venables seems totally content with being a DC and his kid plays for Clemson.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeze's name is high up there. Napier too. 

What about Satterfield or O'Brien? thoughts there? I don't like O'Brien. He was at PSU briefly and jumped for the NFL. Seems like an NFL guy who wants to stay there. Which is fine, just means not good fit for college. Louisville is having a terrible season so Satterfield's star may have dropped, but I dont know much about him. 

What has happened to Matt Campbell. I know his name was thrown around on this board for the last few years, but don't remember who thought he would be a good coach.  I have not followed him or know much about him, so not sure if he was just a phase and we are past that or if he would still be a good option.  I am for looking at all options while we have the chance and getting this thing right.  

What has happened to Matt Campbell. I know his name was thrown around on this board for the last few years, but don't remember who thought he would be a good coach.  I have not followed him or know much about him, so not sure if he was just a phase and we are past that or if he would still be a good option.  I am for looking at all options while we have the chance and getting this thing right.  
seems like a long way from his recruiting grounds at Iowa St

Don't dismiss Shane Beamer too soon. He's seriously being considered.