Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (not) too early coaching search thread

carolina_corpsman

Staff member
Fanatics Cash
It has to be a matter of time before HCWM is relived of his duties, who is the next hire? 

I would love Freeze, past history or not, the man can recruit and puts a fun to watch product on the field and has shown he can make a mid teir SEC school competitive. 

My next choice is, and probably more realistic option is Napier, he's won NC's with Bama, and would certainly do everything he can to beat Dabo. He's also got roots in the state. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chadwell needs to be in the mix as well.  He is young and I would hope won't jump ship at the first opportunity.  I feel like Freeze would jump in a heartbeat at a bigger opportunity.  I also read somewhere that Sankey may have some say in Freeze if even allowed back in the conference to coach.  Not saying I am against Freeze, but I do want someone that will be committed for a while.  I would also assume whatever program Freeze goes to will be under the microscope and we have not faired to well in that spot at times.  

Joe Brady is interesting, no actual head coach experience but is a young, up and coming offensive minded guy. With a NC ring on his hand and a season coaching in the NFL, he could be worth the risk. 

Chadwell needs to be in the mix as well.  He is young and I would hope won't jump ship at the first opportunity.  I feel like Freeze would jump in a heartbeat at a bigger opportunity.  I also read somewhere that Sankey may have some say in Freeze if even allowed back in the conference to coach.  Not saying I am against Freeze, but I do want someone that will be committed for a while.  I would also assume whatever program Freeze goes to will be under the microscope and we have not faired to well in that spot at times.  
If Freeze didn't jump ship at Ole Miss why would he jump ship at Carolina?

Joe Brady is interesting, no actual head coach experience but is a young, up and coming offensive minded guy. With a NC ring on his hand and a season coaching in the NFL, he could be worth the risk. 
Yep, should give him a hard look too.  At least we know Brady knows how to draw up plays as compared to Beamer.

If Freeze didn't jump ship at Ole Miss why would he jump ship at Carolina?
I am not sure he would I just think if he comes and has success early because of his previous success a bigger program will come calling sooner than later.  I am not sure what offers he had while at Ole Miss.  

I am not sure he would I just think if he comes and has success early because of his previous success a bigger program will come calling sooner than later.  I am not sure what offers he had while at Ole Miss.  
My opinion is if a coach of ours leaves for a "bigger program" then f'em.  They obviously had success here and should leave our program in a desirable position for the next hire.  But as far as HCs go, don't laugh when I ask, but how many successful HCs have left Carolina for other programs (in any sport)?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.  

My opinion is if a coach of ours leaves for a "bigger program" then f'em.  They obviously had success here and should leave our program in a desirable position for the next hire.  But as far as HCs go, don't laugh when I ask, but how many successful HCs have left Carolina for other programs (in any sport)?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.  
Lol.  Good point.  

I think Urban Meyer would entertain the idea of coaching at Carolina.
I’ve always seen him more as a guy that wanted to be somewhere that was a little easier to recruit and win.  Maybe he would come to try to outdo Spurrier’s record here.  Ego thing....

Observations...

1. There almost certainly is no home run hire.....availability & affordability, 

2. We may only be able to afford a low cost option....which may be our best option anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve always seen him more as a guy that wanted to be somewhere that was a little easier to recruit and win.  Maybe he would come to try to outdo Spurrier’s record here.  Ego thing....
Most every high star recruit wants to play for a winner.  Carolina has the facilities and fan support.  I just think a place like Carolina might be right up his ally because of the "lower" pressure we put on our coaches because of our history.  I'm sure it's what attracted Holtz and Spurrier.  And yeah, he might just want to outdo Spurrier.  I'm all for that :)

It has to be a matter of time before HCWM is relived of his duties, who is the next hire? 

I would love Freeze, past history or not, the man can recruit and puts a fun to watch product on the field and has shown he can make a mid teir SEC school competitive. 

My next choice is, and probably more realistic option is Napier, he's won NC's with Bama, and would certainly do everything he can to beat Dabo. He's also got roots in the state. 
I'm confused by the thread's title. Did you start it five years ago and I missed it? (jokes aside, I'll take Freeze. His transgressions do not really bother me.)

I'm confused by the thread's title. Did you start it five years ago and I missed it? (jokes aside, I'll take Freeze. His transgressions do not really bother me.)
Yep, they beat W Carolina today 58 - 14 to up their record to 8 - 0.  They may crack the top 20 next week.