Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Vent Thread

What a Gamecock way to finish out that game with the punt return team!  Classic Gamecocks!  There are many positives but there are also some glaring issues that I don't see changing.  We are still soft and sluggish on the OL.  No physicality to speak of on the edges.  We should tear the screen plays out of the play book and burn them.  Only completed passes to 2 WRs in the game.  Key drops cost us the win more than anything but otherwise the 2 we had, plus the backs and TE were solid enough.  Hill can throw it well and makes good decisions but he's a statue in the pocket. 

The D front was supposed to be a strength but aside from a few plays we looked out matched, small and easily pushed around. Hard to tell our DL from our LBs most of the time.    I'd run right at this team if I were an opposing O coordinator.  Secondary was continually playing a soft cushion but still managed to get beat deep.  UT made a great catch on the sideline with the one hander but still to many times our DBs are getting out run or playing 5 yards off.  Special teams blunder closes it out, who coaches that again?? 

It ended in a L which is what I expected vs a decent team and the way we usually perform in openers.  What was with all the jawing during the game and why did Shi get so ticked?  Champ said he was gassed so he took him out but he was ready to fight.  He wasn't gassed - that's bs.   I'm hopeful for some improvement for week 2 but the level of the opponent amps way up too.  Can't have a single turnover and need to create some to have a chance in that one.  Need all the DBs healthy and dialed in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did joyner disappear? This is a sad part of the problem. Recruiting in state talent and then not using them

The staff waits too many games to let the negative trends form before attempting to fix what's wrong and by that time the season is essentially shot.

They are expecting 2* and 3* players to improve like 4* and 5* players would, but the improvement either happens too late in the season or not at all.

I spotted him on 1 or 2 plays...don't think he ever touched the ball though.
Correct, which is a problem. He's done everything which has been a asked of him. He wasn't targeted. If I'm not mistaken, Hill hit 3 receivers all night. Almost half of his completions went to Smith. 

Correct, which is a problem. He's done everything which has been a asked of him. He wasn't targeted. If I'm not mistaken, Hill hit 3 receivers all night. Almost half of his completions went to Smith. 
2 WRs caught passes.  3 Backs and 1 TE.  Hill also had a recept with the batted ball he caught for -11 yds.

I spotted him on 1 or 2 plays...don't think he ever touched the ball though.
He was on the field some.  No targets.  Doty didn't get any time.   Rico Powers was in  at one time.  Mullins was too I think.

OK, I watched the game with an eye toward caution. I am one of the old guys here and have been around this program and the university since 1978 . No not a grad but part of the speakers program for one of the major programs. I say that only because I feel if energy was placed on finding SOS's replacement that goes into other areas of the University we would be much better today. I must admit at first I was neutral on Muschamp, however that did not last long. I am sure he is a nice guy, fantastic husband, a top drawer father and all around good guy but IMHO he has blind spots and habits that seem to hurt us and his FL team.

Saturday night we come up on the end of the first half with time on the clock and timeouts in his pocket! He folds! I called it on the punt, he will not play to better the game or the team, wife thinks I lost it but I was proven right. The entire time he has been here he has walked away with time and timeouts. That to me is disrespectful to the team, the fans that showed up, the fans at home and the entire program. Now, lets be fair yes we could have fumbled or we could have scored 3/7 but we COULD have. This game was important to the players, jut look at the face of our punt returner at the end of the game when we lost the ball (sorry I can't remember his name) the hurt, anger, dismay on his face was palpable. These guys wanted to win that game. So my question is what would they have done or at least tried to do given the one minute and 10 seconds along with 2/3 time outs at the end of the half?

No TN was not just holding our defense they were in some cases mugging them throughout thew game with no calls. It appeared to me that TN's defense was bigger and faster than ours but someone who knows the game better than me can say if that is true or not

SOME GOOD, SOME BAD, SOME SAME OLD SAME OLD! Some improvement in some areas but we have a long way to go. Can these guys surprise us sure but with a schedule like this its a crap shoot. I listen to coach after the game and on the show Sun AM. He told the players before the season ALL these 10 conference games will be one score games. Me I am not so sure about that. Time will tell.

Stepping off soap box and I thank you.

I too was disappointed with the first half except for that first drive. I thought we looked much better in the second half.  For me difference was we didn't get points off the muffed punt and they got a TD with the pick six.  That's at the minimum a nine point swing. I hate to "coulda, woulda, shoulda" but heh; I've been a fan for over 50 years. It's what we do. 

I watched the game again.  Defense has flashes but is not consistent.  Too many lapses at the wrong time.  Muschamp is a defense guy, so that is on him.  Our OL is not good at run blocking from what I can see.  Sometimes they would open a hole, but all too often UT lived in backfield. 

Bottom line, CWM is in charge and needs to be better. We get out coached all the time.

I watched the game again.  Defense has flashes but is not consistent.  Too many lapses at the wrong time.  Muschamp is a defense guy, so that is on him.  Our OL is not good at run blocking from what I can see.  Sometimes they would open a hole, but all too often UT lived in backfield. 

Bottom line, CWM is in charge and needs to be better. We get out coached all the time.
Agree.  I've watched parts of it a couple times over.  Really concerned with size along the D line.  Also our secondary - as we all see year over year - gives a huge cushion to WRs off the line.   We're either not physical enough to play them tight off the line, or fast/mobile enough to stick with Wrs in space.  Looks like that we are ok with giving up receptions and only ask that they tackle well and keep things in front of them.  That didn't work well vs an 'ok' group of receivers from UT.  Their QB also missed several wide open WRs with little pressure so in a way we were fortunate at times.  This all makes for longer drives and more wear and tear on the guys up front.  I don't like this scheme or plan.

Good points on the secondary.  If Garatano (sp?) did not overthrow or miss some wide open WR, they win by 2 or 3 TDs IMO.  I did notice lots of holding by UT OL as usual. 

I wanna see MOAR FULLBACK.

As in Patrick DeMarco and Marcus Lattimore.

Get there, mmm-kay.

Game and clock management have been and continue to be terrible under Muschamp. 

Game and clock management have been and continue to be terrible under Muschamp. 
Agreed and that's a huge understatement.  I appears we go in just hoping to keep it close and not get blown out.  Not trying to win.  Reflects in the soft defensive style of sit back and let it come to you.  The last drive of that game is beyond explanation but Champ still has a chip on his shoulder when being questioned.