Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book is on your nightstand right now?

Tastylicks said:
anyone ever read the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? I would be interested in your thoughts... 
I haven't - but I was curious enough to wiki it - looks fascinating.

Tastylicks said:
anyone ever read the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? I would be interested in your thoughts... 
I did and it didn't live up to the hype for me. The first half or so was kinda interesting if unremarkable but then it went off the rails. Maybe something was last in translation, at least for me.

Some Godfather book ghostwritten (if that's the right term) to fill in the gaps between the movies. It's actually pretty good.

@Blitzkrieg I order the Phantom Major - looking forward to reading it. In the meantime, because I'm a geek, I'm getting in some time with the Space Marines.

41eo06trewL.jpg

@Blitzkrieg I order the Phantom Major - looking forward to reading it. In the meantime, because I'm a geek, I'm getting in some time with the Space Marines.

Ha I used to be into that when I was like 13. Many many years ago. I still have the figurines in the basement somewhere. 

im reading “Return to Bull Run, the campaign and battle of Second Manassas” by Hennessy. Which is very good.

and Rework, which is more of a business book. 

dang you all read some good books...I read mainly legal thrillers...I read about 2-3 books/week so as you could imagine they are not all that intense lol

I joined Kindle Unlimited and absolutely love it!  I am glad to see so many readers 

dang you all read some good books...I read mainly legal thrillers...I read about 2-3 books/week so as you could imagine they are not all that intense lol

I joined Kindle Unlimited and absolutely love it!  I am glad to see so many readers 
John Grisham? I love his books.

John Grisham? I love his books.
Yep...read those all and books of the same ilk so to speak!  There are tons of unknown authors on kindle unlimited who have very similar books!  They are kind of thinkless reading but a good diversion none the less

Yep...read those all and books of the same ilk so to speak!  There are tons of unknown authors on kindle unlimited who have very similar books!  They are kind of thinkless reading but a good diversion none the less
My wife signed up for Kindle Unlimited last summer. Might have to check it out and see what I can find.

My wife signed up for Kindle Unlimited last summer. Might have to check it out and see what I can find.
I can certainly make some reccommendations for some non-mainstream legal writers on Kindle Unlimited....I like Sheldon Siegel, Dennis Carstens, Scott Pratt (all his books take place where I live so it may just be nostalgia for me), Robin James, Stephen Penner, John Ellsworth just to name a few...I would say that this list probably has at least 75 books or so (give or take)...the way that they get paid by Kindle Unlimited is based solely on how many pages you read so I always finish the books or at least turn to the last page so the authors can get paid

I can certainly make some reccommendations for some non-mainstream legal writers on Kindle Unlimited....I like Sheldon Siegel, Dennis Carstens, Scott Pratt (all his books take place where I live so it may just be nostalgia for me), Robin James, Stephen Penner, John Ellsworth just to name a few...I would say that this list probably has at least 75 books or so (give or take)...the way that they get paid by Kindle Unlimited is based solely on how many pages you read so I always finish the books or at least turn to the last page so the authors can get paid
Thanks for the recommendations! 

The book was SO much better than the movie; the blind samurai alone could also be a movie. I looked up "The Phantom Major" and have added it to my Goodreads to-read list! Exactly my cup of tea, as I am a huge WW II nut. As a matter of fact, this was what I finished before WWZ:

It was quite good. I've read prolly 3-4 books about the Naval Campaign for Guadalcanal because it was where we learned how to fight the surface war (after a brutal start at Savo Island) - from night fighting to gunnery to radar etc etc etc, it was our most important learning environment, and those lessons cost us dearly.  Hornfischer, IMO, is the finest naval historian working today, but I don't think he will ever do better than what I consider his gold standard; if I had to recommend one book on the naval war in the Pacific it would be this one:

Have both of those in hard copy and on my Nook.  Reading this one now.

destroyer-squadron-23-annotated.jpg

Aside from being a good historical narrative, it is also a good example of the modern team-building techniques that Burke used with success in his destroyer squadrons.

Hornfischer is great because he recounts things from the sailor's point of view but also addresses the office politics that senior Naval officers had to endure during WWII.

The effectiveness of the Japanese Long Lance torpedo was just as important as the transition of the importance of the battleship to the aircraft carrier during WWII.  It also took a lot longer for our people to figure out the torpedoes were fired from destroyers in The Slot instead of submarines.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kingofnerf I totally agree on your takes on both Hornfischer’s brilliance and the deadly impact of the Long Lance. Add in the IJN’s superior night optics (Zeiss , supplied by Germany) and night training,  and it’s easy to see how they were so unbeatable early in the war. China Lee’s gunnery expertise combined with his insistence on integrating radar into the firing solutions in training really began to show its impact in the second half of the Guadalcanal campaign.

I used to read crime novels. Ed McBain books are great and not long reads. If you like that kinda stuff

Tastylicks said:
Is it a secret requirement for 'Dads' to get big into WWII / Civil War history?

:) ;)  
I hope not lol otherwise my wife may have some explaining to do

Last edited by a moderator:
And I need to pick up your book on DesRon 23 - certainly an amazing group.
I also picked up a used box set of HBO's The Pacific series last year on the cheap.  Excellent companion series that tells the story from the Marines' point of view.

I am up to Peleliu right now.