Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book is on your nightstand right now?

I read a lot and normally alternate between fiction and non-fiction.  Just started reading, Running with Giants by John Maxwell.  Actually just picked it up last night so have not officially started yet.  

I've become a great user of my Kindle because my eyes are shot and I can bump up the type size. Currently rereading this, which is epic:

8908._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

The Better Angels by Robert Plumb. About 5 women during the Civil War

Impending Crisis by David Potter. About the US leading up to the Civil War

I also recently finished, Moonraker by Ian Fleming

Last edited by a moderator:
I've become a great user of my Kindle because my eyes are shot and I can bump up the type size. Currently rereading this, which is epic:

I read that several years ago after the movie came out.  Man there's a lot of material in there for some sequels.  I would love to see the Battle of Yonkers made into a movie.

Just about finished with:  The Phantom Major by Virginia Cowles

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that several years ago after the movie came out.  Man there's a lot of material in there for some sequels.  I would love to see the Battle of Yonkers made into a movie.

Just about finished with:  The Phantom Major by Virginia Cowles
The book was SO much better than the movie; the blind samurai alone could also be a movie. I looked up "The Phantom Major" and have added it to my Goodreads to-read list! Exactly my cup of tea, as I am a huge WW II nut. As a matter of fact, this was what I finished before WWZ:

9780553385120_l.jpg

The book was SO much better than the movie; the blind samurai alone could also be a movie. I looked up "The Phantom Major" and have added it to my Goodreads to-read list! Exactly my cup of tea, as I am a huge WW II nut. As a matter of fact, this was what I finished before WWZ:

Probably every chapter in the WWZ book can stand alone as a movie.  I've read literally hundreds of books about WWII and the Phantom Major is absolutely one of the best.  What Major Stirling did and accomplished in simply amazing.    I should finish it tonight or tomorrow.   I believe his story would also make a good movie. Let me know when you finish it and we can compare notes. 

How was Neptune's Inferno?

How was Neptune's Inferno?
It was quite good. I've read prolly 3-4 books about the Naval Campaign for Guadalcanal because it was where we learned how to fight the surface war (after a brutal start at Savo Island) - from night fighting to gunnery to radar etc etc etc, it was our most important learning environment, and those lessons cost us dearly.  Hornfischer, IMO, is the finest naval historian working today, but I don't think he will ever do better than what I consider his gold standard; if I had to recommend one book on the naval war in the Pacific it would be this one:

9780553381481-us.jpg

It was quite good. I've read prolly 3-4 books about the Naval Campaign for Guadalcanal because it was where we learned how to fight the surface war (after a brutal start at Savo Island) - from night fighting to gunnery to radar etc etc etc, it was our most important learning environment, and those lessons cost us dearly.  Hornfischer, IMO, is the finest naval historian working today, but I don't think he will ever do better than what I consider his gold standard; if I had to recommend one book on the naval war in the Pacific it would be this one:

Thanks, I'll probably order both.

Finished The Phantom Major this morning.  Excellent read.
North Africa was a fascinating campaign. It was almost the British Army version of Guadalcanal (except that it lasted for three years), with so many of the most storied units of the war emerging from it: the SAS, the LRDG, the Desert Rats, etc. etc. etc.  Things would have been very different in India and Burma, and potentially even Oz, if the Suez Canal had fallen.

North Africa was a fascinating campaign. It was almost the British Army version of Guadalcanal (except that it lasted for three years), with so many of the most storied units of the war emerging from it: the SAS, the LRDG, the Desert Rats, etc. etc. etc.  Things would have been very different in India and Burma, and potentially even Oz, if the Suez Canal had fallen.
Yeah it's importance is often over looked.  Mrs B and I went to "His House" yesterday to drop off some donations and as always I do a quick perusing of the book section.  Picked this up for .50 cents, I always like to grab any historical book with local favor.

View attachment 2340

Yeah it's importance is often over looked.  Mrs B and I went to "His House" yesterday to drop off some donations and as always I do a quick perusing of the book section.  Picked this up for .50 cents, I always like to grab any historical book with local favor.

View attachment 2340
Love those regional gems. The cover reminds me of a story I wrote years ago (I was a journalist for 15 years before moving to marketing and PR in higher ed, which is what I do now) for Memorial Day about a local vet who was an 8th Air Force B-17 gunner; 10 missions before being shot down, captured and spending the last year of the war in a Luftwaffe prison camp.

Right now, it's a logic puzzle book. Yes, I'm a nerd...
Hey we all have our tastes. I personally can't understand how anyone can be as thoroughly interested in these military history books as the folks here seem to be.

That said if anyone is interested in some time travel books, there is a series by a British author, Jason Ayres that is really good. His website is here: https://www.jasonayres.co.uk/.  All of his Time Bubble books are listed there in chronological order along with the accompanying series, Second Chances, which can be read out of order. If you have an Amazon Prime account, the entire series is available to read there. The books are pretty short, so it's easy to blast through them.

If you like superhero type stuff, there is a very, very long one called Worm. It was/is a web serial that first began as a series of blog posts. It's about a world where people have various super powers, similar to The Boys, if you ever watched/read that series. It centers around a young lady who has the power to control insects. It can be read here: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/