Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** USC MBB (2-1/14-2) vs. Georgia (2-1/12-4) Game Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

The Gamecocks are seeking to extend a 10-game home winning streak that dates back to a Senior Day win over the Bulldogs last season. It’s the team’s longest home win streak since the 2015-16 squad started the year 13-0 at home.

The Bulldogs entered their Saturday game against Tennessee riding a 10-game winning streak, the longest win streak in the country by a Power Six conference team at the time. They are led by former Florida head coach Mike White, who is in his second season leading the program.

BROADCAST: ESPNU
PLAY-BY-PLAY: Roy Philpott
ANALYST: Daymeon Fishback

RADIO: Gamecock Radio Network

IN COLUMBIA:
107.5 The Game
PLAY-BY-PLAY: Derek Scott
ANALYST: Casey Manning

SIRIUSXM: 380 | SXM APP: 970

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyNC8wMS83ZGI5NjZmMy13cmlnaHRqXzAxLjA2LjI0Lm1lbnNfLmJhc2tldGJhbGwudnNfLm1pc3Npc3NpcHBpLnN0YXRlXy4wMDAwOTcuanBn.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Late 9:00 pm tip-off, but I got my ticket for the game tonight.

Go Eggroll. Go Gamecocks.

I will not be able to even watch it. I get up at 3:45 to go to work so I try to be asleep by 8:30. I guess for TV sake, but it is hard to understand any other reason for having it start so late. I hope we are not playing the refs again tonight because I feel our guys can win this one.

Oddly enough, I get to nap a bit before the late games, so it's not that bad for me.

Gonna be a cold one tonight, though.

Mike White is a great coach, but Lamont has shown he knows how to coach, too. We're the almost ready for prime time Gamecocks and getting better.

I anticipate an up-and-down game that hopefully we find a way to win in the last few minutes like have many times this season.

A game we should have won. This is a game that got away from us -- hope it doesn't bite us in the butt come tournament time. GA losses have knocked us out of the tourney before.

We allowed UGA to score 17 second-chance points and we were only 53% from the line.

Mike White is a veteran SEC HC and UGA will improve the rest of the season just like we will.

Tough loss, but I believe this team still has a couple of upsets in them this season, too.

The lower bowl had so many empty seats due to the cold and late tip-off that it was announced that fans were allowed to move down about six minutes into the first half. Usually the UGA games are close to sell-outs, so that was weird, but more people in the lower bowl allowed for more crowd noise.

UGA was more aggressive and faster than any other team we have faced at home this year if you have been watching the games from the stands. RL Melendez would zip in anywhere and hit a 3-pointer at will. He elevated as soon as he got the ball.

Except for the fact we lost, both teams put on an absolute coaching clinic last night. I think the difference was Mike White out-coached Lamont in the last four minutes, when usually Lamont has had the upper hand in most of our wins so far this season.

CMB had a fantastic complete game on both ends of the court. For all the hype over GG last year, CMB is the best local player we have had since Alex English.

We were in man-to-man coverage the whole game. I wonder if we would have done better in a zone to slow the game down.

They gave out white T-shirts with a quarter zip screen print on them to the first 1000 students. The line was pretty long at the student entrance before the doors opened at the CLA.

The students were very noisy the whole game. It was a great home crowd environment for sure.

CMB had a fantastic complete game on both ends of the court. For all the hype over GG last year, CMB is the best local player we have had since Alex English.
That's a bold claim. He could certainly develop into that, but I think BJ McKie still holds that status.

That's a bold claim. He could certainly develop into that, but I think BJ McKie still holds that status.
Yeah, BJ McKie crossed my mind, too.

It's so sad that our men's basketball teams have sucked for so long that the outstanding local players are so rare.

Key Quote

Head Coach Mike White: "It's huge. Our biggest win of the year. South Carolina is an NCAA Tournament team. Lamont [Paris] and the staff have done an amazing job. They're really good and we're really fortunate the way we cashed in at the foul line. The way we rebounded the ball against a team that - to put it bluntly - is just a better rebounding team than we are.

I agree that we are a NCAAT team if we can put the wins together. The SEC is the toughest league in the country.

Stay focus.

The lower bowl had so many empty seats due to the cold and late tip-off that it was announced that fans were allowed to move down about six minutes into the first half. Usually the UGA games are close to sell-outs, so that was weird, but more people in the lower bowl allowed for more crowd noise.

UGA was more aggressive and faster than any other team we have faced at home this year if you have been watching the games from the stands. RL Melendez would zip in anywhere and hit a 3-pointer at will. He elevated as soon as he got the ball.

Except for the fact we lost, both teams put on an absolute coaching clinic last night. I think the difference was Mike White out-coached Lamont in the last four minutes, when usually Lamont has had the upper hand in most of our wins so far this season.

We were in man-to-man coverage the whole game. I wonder if we would have done better in a zone to slow the game down.
Love some CMB but GG is on another level, replace CMB with GG from last year and this is a top 10 team... it just us!
CMB is real good and I believe will be a great, great leader/player for us this year and in the future but GG was asked to lead out the gate and did averaging 15.2 as a true FR surrounded by new players in a new system.

I thought the difference was the flagrant foul on Meechie, it made a 3 point game a 5 point game and took the momentum from the crowd and out the game. Coach Paris put the team in position to win and Georgia made some clutch shots. In no way did I think White out coached him, give me an example of a decision White made that made you think this, just curious...

I thought the difference was the flagrant foul on Meechie, it made a 3 point game a 5 point game and took the momentum from the crowd and out the game. Coach Paris put the team in position to win and Georgia made some clutch shots. In no way did I think White out coached him, give me an example of a decision White made that made you think this, just curious...
I watched UGA's Guards drive on Wright and score at will down the right side in the paint.

Going to a zone or subbing Clark in for length might have stopped that and given us the win.

White brought the fastest offense we have encountered this season and Lamont didn't have an answer for it.

Coaches are always accountable for the losses. It just is what it is. LOL

I watched UGA's Guards drive on Wright and score at will down the right side in the paint.

Going to a zone or subbing Clark in for length might have stopped that and given us the win.

White brought the fastest offense we have encountered this season and Lamont didn't have an answer for it.

Totally agree with those two things. Had a busy couple days so didn’t get to say anything pre or post game until now. Was really disappointed that Paris didn’t utilize Clark for both his leadership AND defensive prowess. Yes you lose offense with Clark, as he simply doesn’t shoot enough, but damn that kid can disrupt people’s games.
I thought Paris had a good game plan, but Georgia tightened the screws defensively at the end (they lulled us to sleep with the prior 3-4 minutes, and then upped the intensity). Mike White knew if his guys fouled us, we were likely to go no better than 50% at the line in the latter part of the game. As such, we had to take our time and drive to the hoop, but Mack and Meechie wanted to take early clock 3’s. And Paris didn’t stop them from doing that.
Long story short… we lost that game on BAD FT shooting and poor game management at the end by Coach Paris. That’s not a knock on him… love what he’s doing this season. Just is a reality he got out coached at the end vs. UGA.

The Dawgs were on the ropes as far as losses coming into this game, too, so I knew it was going to be a great game to watch, win or lose.

It's not really over until it's over with this squad this year and nobody started leaving until UGA scored their last bucket.

A good friend who is a Dawg fan texted me the next day that I never congratulated him on the win. I told him I didn't get home until close to 1:00 am and that was past his bedtime. Then I told him I thought Muschamp probably used some of his buyout money to pay the refs off. LOL

So I think the fans' confidence in Lamont and the team is there this year. Just take it one game at a time.

Tough loss for sure, but I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Stay focus.

I wondered why we didn't bring Gray back in the game even though he missed the 5 FT's for the same reason so I get it but our defense held them to 37% from the field.
The quick 3's were open looks from good shooters that had been falling in past games and got us the home winning streak.
Agree the coach will always take the brunt of losses but he didn't miss FT's, he did call some nice set plays to keep us in it when it could have been over early...
Clark over Davis could have changed things but 2nd guessing after a loss is fanatical, is what it is... The loss hurt but losing Stute may hurt more, hope they learn and continue to get better.