Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Movie Thread

Anyone seen No Time to Die? I have not yet but am a Bond fan and do enjoy Daniel Craig as Bond

Finally was able to get a DVD copy of Tom Hanks' movie Greyhound that was not able to be released in theatres due to the pandemic. It is no longer in the black hole in space of Apple TV.

It's probably the most realistic war movie for ex-Navy guys like myself. A great instructional movie. C. S. Forester's book The Good Shepherd, on which the movie is based, was used as an instructional text at the Naval Academy for many years.

Aside from the realism and excellent action scenes, the best thing is it's only 90 minutes long, like movies used to be. A very efficient use of the time allotted and not so long that you feel the need to hit the restroom in the middle of it like happens in most movies today.

I guess that's a function of being streamed online where you can just hit the pause button if you need to take a restroom break.

Finally was able to get a DVD copy of Tom Hanks' movie Greyhound that was not able to be released in theatres due to the pandemic. It is no longer in the black hole in space of Apple TV.

It's probably the most realistic war movie for ex-Navy guys like myself. A great instructional movie. C. S. Forester's book The Good Shepherd, on which the movie is based, was used as an instructional text at the Naval Academy for many years.

Aside from the realism and excellent action scenes, the best thing is it's only 90 minutes long, like movies used to be. A very efficient use of the time allotted and not so long that you feel the need to hit the restroom in the middle of it like so most movies today.

I guess that's a function of being streamed online where you can just hit the pause button if you need to take a restroom break.
Yep, was lucky enough to see it on Apple TV. I thought it was a really good movie -- very surprised with the authenticity.

Yep, was lucky enough to see it on Apple TV. I thought it was a really good movie -- very surprised with the authenticity.

The digital animation is so good these days it's hard to tell what's real and what's not in a movie.

Aside from the realism and excellent action scenes, the best thing is it's only 90 minutes long, like movies used to be. A very efficient use of the time allotted and not so long that you feel the need to hit the restroom in the middle of it like happens in most movies today.

I seen it a couple of weeks ago. I also enjoyed it.

Not a movie per say but I just finished watching "3 Body Problem" on NetFlix. Very good sci-fi. A completely different twist on a classic sci-fi theme. 10 episodes IIRC.

Thought about going to see Civil War, but the idea of Texas and California seceding from the Union seems a contradiction.

A remake of Red Dawn would work better these days.

Thinking about doing some urban exploring at the 2nd and Charles second-hand store near Columbiana this weekend. I already have a list of book titles that I know never went digital.

I don't think the movie industry has rebounded from the pandemic quite yet. Maybe next year.

Not a movie per say but I just finished watching "3 Body Problem" on NetFlix. Very good sci-fi. A completely different twist on a classic sci-fi theme. 10 episodes IIRC.
So supposedly, 3 Body Problem is huge in China -- I've heard it compared to the Star War's franchise here in the U.S.

So supposedly, 3 Body Problem is huge in China -- I've heard it compared to the Star War's franchise here in the U.S.
Really? My son was telling me that China banned it because of the way the Chinese Government is portrayed.

Really? My son was telling me that China banned it because of the way the Chinese Government is portrayed.
I think the reaction was over the direction the producers took the Netflix version, it was "westernized". Netflix took the point of view that the ideas from the work were universal and set them primarily in the U.K., and the Chinese feel pretty strongly that it is uniquely Chinese (set in the Chinese cultural revolution of the 1960"s).