Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Movie Thread

Swayin

Fanatics Cash
I dunno about you fine folks, but since the pandemic my wife (also a proud Gamecock) and I have been doubling down on movies via streaming. Catch something from the comfort of your barcalounger that you'd like to recommend to the group? Post it here.

Last night we finished up this miniseries (excellent but "Kite Runner" levels of woe), and took in this classic, which it pains me to say given my uber-nerd status and love of Sci fi, is IMO George Lucas' best movie:

MV5BNTFlY2NmN2YtYTNjZi00NTA5LTgyZmMtMjI3OGI2NDNhNjI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

220px-American_graffiti_ver1.jpg

My daughter got called out in one of her classes for admitting she hasn’t seen any Marvel movie, so we’ve now seen about 6 or 7 in the last two weeks. We finished the second Captain America last night. Tried to watch in order of release but I think someone selected the second Thor movie first which wouldn’t explain why I was very confused watching it. 

My daughter got called out in one of her classes for admitting she hasn’t seen any Marvel movie, so we’ve now seen about 6 or 7 in the last two weeks. We finished the second Captain America last night. Tried to watch in order of release but I think someone selected the second Thor movie first which wouldn’t explain why I was very confused watching it. 
Nice! What has been her favorite movie or character?

Tenet was pretty good but I'll have to watch it again. 
The buildup for that movie - especially coming off the universally lauded Dunkirk, was so huge - and I think in many ways it didn't meet critics' expectations, but it is still on my "to watch" list.

Boss Level on Hulu is a pretty fun sci-fi/action flick. It's kind of like Groundhog Day with guns and fighting and explosions.

Boss Level on Hulu is a pretty fun sci-fi/action flick. It's kind of like Groundhog Day with guns and fighting and explosions.
Watched it last night on your rec! Agreed, it was better than I thought and Frank Grillo was better than I expected him to be. Naomi Watts must have had some bills to pay. Still a thumbs up regardless!

Watched it last night on your rec! Agreed, it was better than I thought and Frank Grillo was better than I expected him to be. Naomi Watts must have had some bills to pay. Still a thumbs up regardless!
Yeah when I first saw the title, I was kind of on the fence about it. The plot synopsis sounded cool, so I gave it a shot. After that first scene, I was like "You have my attention." I'm glad they opted for the more traditional method of filming fight scenes rather than that shaky cam crap.                                                                                         

Went back in time for this one last night. It's what in our household we refer to as a "Pappy's Special," because it was in high rotation at Pappy's on campus in the mid-'80s.

MV5BMWIxMzQxZjAtMGFkNC00NzYwLWFiMGEtNzZhZjE5MmFiMmMyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Conan brings back memories of senior year at USC. One of my roommates had the dvds of that series and would watch them every now and then. Is Conan the Destroyer next?

Conan brings back memories of senior year at USC. One of my roommates had the dvds of that series and would watch them every now and then. Is Conan the Destroyer next?
Could be (although not nearly as good, Grace Jones is annoying af), or maybe Red Sonja? Read that they wouldn't let Arnie play Conan in that one because of naming rights, so he basically was playing Conan with a character with another name.

They used to show that movie so soften at Pappy's that it got to be almost a drinking game when he does his monologue to Crom at the end before the last big fight, the place would yell "THEN TO HELL WIT CHEW"  in their best Arnie accents, then go get another pitcher of cheap beer with an olive in it.

Good times.

I might be in the minority but I have absolutely zero interest in any of the superhero movies, and haven't seen a single one. She's not alone lol. 

The funny part is, my BIL is a huge marvel/superhero fanboy and everytime I see them he rambles on and on about this move or that like I've seen em, I just nod and let him talk, he has yet to figure out I have no idea what he is talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I don't have HBO max and they have moved all of my favorite HBO shows off of Amazon. 

The Wire is my go to cop series, I have watched it probably 5 times and literally every time I pick up on something new.  I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen none lol 

I might be in the minority but I have absolutely zero interest in any of the superhero movies, and haven't seen a single one. She's not alone lol. 

The funny part is, my BIL is a huge marvel/superhero fanboy and everytime I see them he rambles on and on about this move or that like I've seen em, I just nod and let him talk, he has yet to figure out I have no idea what he is talking about.
I have an employee who is total fanboy of Tony Stark aka Iron man. I made the mistake of telling her about watching the movies and now I can’t keep her away from talking about them. 

Unfortunately I don't have HBO max and they have moved all of my favorite HBO shows off of Amazon. 

The Wire is my go to cop series, I have watched it probably 5 times and literally every time I pick up on something new.  I can't recommend it enough.
The Wire is a great show, and not just cuz it’s about Baltimore. Yafet Kuto recently passed away.