Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OC wish list

There is a disconnect between what's going on on the field and what our strategy should be.  Several times this year we've missed an opportunity to challenge ball placement for first downs but instead we try the hurry up to catch the D unprepared only to come up short. 
That is so true. 

Hugh Freeze/Art Briles really? Those two come with so much baggage 
No one will touch Briles due to the type problems he had at Baylor, except maybe a smaller type program. Hugh Freeze is very possible, not only for South Carolina but other Power 5 programs. You should no there was a certain motive why Freeze went to coach at Liberty. Think about Freeze taking the Liberty job for a little while and it will come to you the reason he did it. 

No one will touch Briles due to the type problems he had at Baylor, except maybe a smaller type program. Hugh Freeze is very possible, not only for South Carolina but other Power 5 programs. You should no there was a certain motive why Freeze went to coach at Liberty. Think about Freeze taking the Liberty job for a little while and it will come to you the reason he did it. 
He didn't want death?

Re Hugh Freeze

1. It's rare that a head coach will voluntarily leave a job to become coordinator somewhere else. Most coaches have too much pride to endure a move down the ladder.

2. If BMac is making $650,000, and they want to stay around that salary, Freeze isn't coming here. With their enormous online school, Liberty is basically printing money and could afford to give him a raise to not even entertain the thought. I think as it stands now, he's making at least $1,000,000 a year at Liberty with incentives possibly raising it another mill or two. I don't know about y'all, but there's no way I take a pay cut that substantial. 

If Muschamp gets fired/resigns and Freeze uses Liberty to rehab his reputation, I could see going after him for head coach (not that I would particularly want him though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think another good one to try and steal would be Bill Bedenbaugh.

He is co-coordinator at Oklahoma. Maybe for the chance to have the position for himself, he might be willing to move. Of coarse, you got to convince Tanner why Clemson paid their coordinators so much and what they have done there. I mean he makes $750,000 now. Offer him a cool Million to start with bonus money. I mean T-Rob get $1.2 M. I think offense is just as important. And Clemson pays both of their co-OCs a million each.

With B-Mac only making $650,000, it might be hard to get Tanner and company to come off the money.
I think RT should jump at the chance to get a $1.5MM /year top OC. A top OC, would buy RT 2-3 years of reducing the buyout by almost $4MM per year, at a cost of less than $1MM / year, which would be offset by the increase in fan excitement. I'm, not talking about an OC with training wheels. I'm talking about spending up to $1.5MM, or more if needed, to get a proven top OC that can utilize talent, game plan, recruit, call plays and get us scoring in the 30's and 40's consistently against SEC talent. If by opening the wallet RT can create excitement, see the buyout shrink, and give Muschamp two or even three years to show he is the man, then it's a win-win.

Worst case is the new OC and Muschamp keep recruiting at least as good as it is now, and the buyout would be going down about $4MM / year. All of these things would make it easier to conduct a quiet search behind the scenes, so we don't duplicate the fiasco of the last HC search. 

I think RT should jump at the chance to get a $1.5MM /year top OC. A top OC, would buy RT 2-3 years of reducing the buyout by almost $4MM per year, at a cost of less than $1MM / year, which would be offset by the increase in fan excitement. I'm, not talking about an OC with training wheels. I'm talking about spending up to $1.5MM, or more if needed, to get a proven top OC that can utilize talent, game plan, recruit, call plays and get us scoring in the 30's and 40's consistently against SEC talent. If by opening the wallet RT can create excitement, see the buyout shrink, and give Muschamp two or even three years to show he is the man, then it's a win-win.

Worst case is the new OC and Muschamp keep recruiting at least as good as it is now, and the buyout would be going down about $4MM / year. All of these things would make it easier to conduct a quiet search behind the scenes, so we don't duplicate the fiasco of the last HC search. 
This seems like common sense, but that means nothing with our AD. I would imagine that would be a great recruiting combo, Muschamp will put defensive players in the league, but what big name 5* WR or Tailback wants to play for a school that's averaging 20 points a game? none. Start putting up 40 points a game and kids will see that as a ticket to the league. 

Also worth some thought, while we’re dreaming is Rhett Lashlee of SMU.   Would be a lateral move unless the assistant HC title was given too.    They consistently put up good stats.   He does have some SEC experience as well    They’re private so I couldn’t find his current salary.   

I think we need to shell out some money for a coordinator that isn’t afraid to take a shot downfield when we get a turnover and are within 40 yards of the end zone, and one that is not so predictable everyone knows what is coming 

DAVE CLAWSON head coach at Wake Forest. A school that is very hard to get recruits and has done an excellent job. 6-1 this season and he knows how to build a program. If Boom goes next year. This guy would be an excellent choice. Sometimes the best coaches are right under your nose. Maybe this guy their Offensive Coordinator/ QB, Warren Ruggiero to replace Bmac.  High power offense he runs. Seems like the only big-name coach we had any luck with was the Ole Ball Coach. Need a guy like this to make his mark here not at another school. We get these old guys instead or from programs that said goodbye to them recycle coaches. JUST MY :twocents:  

Dave Clawson bio

Warren Ruggiero bio

My wish is to get someone who is creative, can keep the offense on the field, and put points on the board.... is that so much to ask!?! haha

I don't think the problem is with the OC, the plays have been there, but the personnel has not executed them. The OC doesn't under, over or miss throws. And he doesn't block on the line of scrimmage. 
Yea I still feel it is hard to get a good read on the OC at this point. All of the injuries (losing Rico was a blow) and the fact that there is a true freshman QB (with injuries) and RS FR who has been practicing at other positions we have seen more of a make shift offense each week. There have definitely been some flashes but it is hard t tell what is the norm at this point

My wish is to get someone who is creative, can keep the offense on the field, and put points on the board.... is that so much to ask!?! haha
Just keeping them on the field takes care of the points part. That is really the biggest thing I miss about Connor Shaw. He would keep plays alive and continue gaining first downs. We'd chew through a bunch of clock and eventually score. Then our defense would come out, rested, and get the ball right back for them to rinse and repeat.

I think a lot hinges on this weeks game with App State. If we play poorly and lose, Muschamp will have no choice but to make a change. But if the offense plays well and we can win, then I think Muschamp will probably keep the OC. I don't think the Texas A&M game or the taters game will affect the outcome with the OC position.

My vote goes to either the angry old lady sitting next to me or the drunk guy two rows back at the Vandy game...they both seemed to have all the answers when ever any play didn't result in a touchdown

Of course the victory, 430 plus yards of offense, 75% completion rate, hundred yards plus rusher, record breaking night for Edwards with 14 catches for 140 yards does throw a bit of a monkey wrench into their public critiques and analysis but they sure sounded adamant while it was happening 

My vote goes to either the angry old lady sitting next to me or the drunk guy two rows back at the Vandy game...they both seemed to have all the answers when ever any play didn't result in a touchdown

Of course the victory, 430 plus yards of offense, 75% completion rate, hundred yards plus rusher, record breaking night for Edwards with 14 catches for 140 yards does throw a bit of a monkey wrench into their public critiques and analysis but they sure sounded adamant while it was happening 
The biggest thing I can say about the Vandy game... Keep B-Mac in the press box. Maybe him being able to see the whole field better affected his play calling. It sure looked that way to me. There were a whole lot fewer stupid plays, yes there were some, but they only happened once. Not 2 or 3 times like before. Has this changed my opinion of him? Not yet. But let him sit up there and win the next 2 games, then I could live with the guy a little longer. Maybe he learned a big lesson by going up there. It's great to be on the field and talk to your players, but it is key to be able to see what is happening out there. Maybe just listening to someone else didn't cut it. I spent 3 straight years in the press box at HS games. Yes you miss talking with the guys, but It really does make a difference.