Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OC wish list

carolina_corpsman

Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Seems like most people agree that there needs to be a change in coaching this offseason, and many seem to agree that OC is one place where a change should be made. Who would you like to see calling plays for the cocks next season?  Would getting a Big12 OC work in the SEC? Maybe someone like Yost out of Texas Tech? 

In a make believe world where a P5 head coach would voluntarily take an OC job, I would want Mike Leach. Heck, I'd probably rather have him be the HC and put Muschamp at DC.

Realistically, I don't know. Maybe Graham Harrell if SoCal fires Clay Helton and they don't promote him to HC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it really depends on what coaches move around, and what jobs open up. I certainly hope Muschamp and RT have put their feelers out, to see who might be available and interested. 

In a make believe world where a P5 head coach would voluntarily take an OC job, I would want Mike Leach. Heck, I'd probably rather have him be the HC and put Muschamp at DC.

Realistically, I don't know. Maybe Graham Harrell if SoCal fires Clay Helton and they don't promote him to HC.
Mike Leach I don't know about that. Especially HC, right off the bat Ryan would be gone because of his brother and from what I seen of his teams do not fair well on the defensive side. Score lots of points yes, but they also give up way to much points too. Clay Helton that would be the better move for OC.

I don't think the problem is with the OC, the plays have been there, but the personnel has not executed them. The OC doesn't under, over or miss throws. And he doesn't block on the line of scrimmage. 

Chad Morris.  Arky has stopped paying Bret B's buyout so they'll probably can Morris soon.  He is a heck of a recruiter and proven OC.  HC, not so much.

Not may current OC's are going to make a lateral move to UofSC.  Especially to coach under Muschamp.  I think Morris would but he's sure to get a payday to leave Arky so he might want to sit home a year or two.

Other possible:

Andy Ludwig - Has SEC experience

The only thing I loved about Chad, when he was a Clemson is that he had not understanding about working together with the defense.  He would run plays so fast even after the defense had spent a lot of time on the field.  I think he is one of the reasons we beat them.  If he has learned to see a little more of the big picture he may be better.  Rich Rod would also make a good one, but the amount of baggage he brings along with him......

I don't think the problem is with the OC, the plays have been there, but the personnel has not executed them. The OC doesn't under, over or miss throws. And he doesn't block on the line of scrimmage. 
There is no creativity, they come up with a little wrinkle like the toss sweep to edwards or delayed draw play then run it into the ground. They don't scheme players open, they are not running plays to set up other plays, heck, even my wife askes, why do they run the same plays over and over.

There is a disconnect between what's going on on the field and what our strategy should be.  Several times this year we've missed an opportunity to challenge ball placement for first downs but instead we try the hurry up to catch the D unprepared only to come up short. 

If CWM was to make a move, which I think he won't, he would hire someone with in the SEC boundries and probably someone he has worked with or knows in some capacity. They will have to be very good recruiters for sure. Another option would be someone who has coached successfully in the SEC and is hiding out at a smaller school. Take all  that into consideration and it = Hugh Freeze...jus sayin

If CWM was to make a move, which I think he won't, he would hire someone with in the SEC boundries and probably someone he has worked with or knows in some capacity. They will have to be very good recruiters for sure. Another option would be someone who has coached successfully in the SEC and is hiding out at a smaller school. Take all  that into consideration and it = Hugh Freeze...jus sayin
Freeze would be a perfect fit here. But like you said If CWM was to make a move, which I think he won't,

Freeze would be a perfect fit here. But like you said If CWM was to make a move, which I think he won't,
I think he will lose a lot of support from the fans if he doesn't make some changes. If he does lose the support of the big name donors and they have another season with less than 6 wins and we will be talking about how much can we pay for a head coach in 2021. I'd like to see the guy out of Minnesota if we go down that road.  

I think he will lose a lot of support from the fans if he doesn't make some changes. If he does lose the support of the big name donors and they have another season with less than 6 wins and we will be talking about how much can we pay for a head coach in 2021. I'd like to see the guy out of Minnesota if we go down that road.  
Really do not understand why the head coach will stay loyal to assistant, Knowing his loyalty should be the school and supporters. Will lead to his demise. Dumbo made the moves and now look at where the program is. You hear that Boom!! :D

I think another good one to try and steal would be Bill Bedenbaugh.

He is co-coordinator at Oklahoma. Maybe for the chance to have the position for himself, he might be willing to move. Of coarse, you got to convince Tanner why Clemson paid their coordinators so much and what they have done there. I mean he makes $750,000 now. Offer him a cool Million to start with bonus money. I mean T-Rob get $1.2 M. I think offense is just as important. And Clemson pays both of their co-OCs a million each.

With B-Mac only making $650,000, it might be hard to get Tanner and company to come off the money.