Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBB at Home vs. Mizzou Discussion and Prediction Thread

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
So here are the conference-only numbers going into Saturday's game.

USC Conference Season (1-24-2024) (6 Games Played)
PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSC
FGA3383538878090.4630.501-0.038
OR7766
TO7556
FTA11698
Points Scored411405
Pts Scored/Game6968

Mizzou's KPIs are somewhat contradictory.

MIZ Conference Season (1-24-2024) (6 Games Played)

PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsMIZOpponentsMIZOpponentsMIZOpponentsMIZ
FGA34633182510820.5010.4360.065
OR4471
TO5771
FTA98158
Points Scored413471
Pts Scored/Game6979

Mizzou has been more efficient on their possessions than us, but they have had far fewer possessions than their conference opponents. Not enough to win games and they are letting their opponents get to the FT line a lot more often, too.

The Bama blow-out loss still is skewing our own possession efficiency numbers.

So the bottom line is to drive on them and score in the paint and play good defense to beat them.

We are a lot better than our first game with them a short while back, but the Tigers have not improved at all in SEC play the last six games.

Should be a 10-point win for us if we stick to Lamont's principles.

I think with being back at home and hopefully another huge home crowd, we will have the highest points scored this year. The UK win was wonderful, but we still did not get much respect in the NET rankings. The other polls come out Monday. If we get a big win Saturday, that will help us a lot to get recognized. These guys have proven they are a way better team than most of us (me included) expected. Mizzou is just another chance to show them.

We jumped 14 spots from 62 to 48 after beating UK. That's a pretty substantial jump at this point in the year. We weren't going to go from 62 to top 20 or anything crazy like that. We still have that loss to UGa and a fairly weak OOC hurting us.

This one has "trap game" written all over it, even more so if it was in CoMo, after the team ramped everything up for UK.

The UK win was a statement win, but not dropping our guard and beating Mizzou soundly would be a pretty good statement win, too.

Hopefully that happens, too. The pollsters watched Frank's teams play up or down to their opponents over the years and lose more than they should have.

That's what any new HC here is up against once they start getting the wins consistently. The fan base is going to share the same skepticism as the pollsters for the same reasons as well. Just focus on playing the way we should and the subjective stuff will take care of itself.

Stay focus.

The rest of the games on Saturday.

DATEAWAYHOMEGAME INFO
1/27 - 12:00 PM ETGeorgiaFloridaESPN2
1/27 - 1:00 PM ETMissouriSouth CarolinaSEC Network
1/27 - 3:30 PM ET(8) AuburnMississippi StSEC Network
1/27 - 6:00 PM ET(5) TennesseeVanderbiltSEC Network
1/27 - 6:00 PM ET(6) KentuckyArkansasESPN
1/27 - 8:00 PM ETLSUAlabamaESPN
1/27 - 8:30 PM ETOle MissTexas A&MSEC Network

This one has "trap game" written all over it, even more so if it was in CoMo, after the team ramped everything up for UK.

The UK win was a statement win, but not dropping our guard and beating Mizzou soundly would be a pretty good statement win, too.

Hopefully that happens, too. The pollsters watched Frank's teams play up or down to their opponents over the years and lose more than they should have.

That's what any new HC here is up against once they start getting the wins consistently. The fan base is going to share the same skepticism as the pollsters for the same reasons as well. Just focus on playing the way we should and the subjective stuff will take care of itself.

Stay focus.
I was going to write the same thing, with Utenn coming up and after a huge victory this has been a trap game in the past... It will be interesting to see how they respond, the calm and cool demeanor of Coach Paris leads this team and I expect them to dominate Missouri on the defensive end and if we hit our FT's this will be a 20 point plus win.
I watched a video of Dawn Staley leading the crowd in towel waving to Sandstorm, it was titled National Treasure and I couldn't agree more! The little things that she does like this are what makes Dawn Staley and the culture of Womans Gamecock basketball so enjoyable to watch. It is infectious and it may just be me but I can feel something similar and special happening in the Men's program or the Athletic program as a whole with Coach Beamer and his son also leading the crowd in a crazy atmosphere

I really just have one minor nit at this point: bigs pump-faking rebounds in the paint.

If we are going to make a habit of doing this, just make sure the guys can hit their FTs.

I have watched so many teams just rebound for the score and beat us over the years. I guess it depends on what's happening in a game, but it's been pretty painful to watch over the years.

Well, we haven't had talented offensive bigs in what seems like forever. I'm hoping Murray-Boyles is the start of SC finding some inside threat, even if he is not the traditional size for a "big".

I think Josh and BBV will pay attention to what CMB does and will try to mimic his stuff in games at some point in the season.

You can already see that some in Josh.

I think Josh and BBV will pay attention to what CMB does and will try to mimic his stuff in games at some point in the season.

You can already see that some in Josh.
Says a whole lot about CMB, a freshmen, when 2 seniors are paying attention. I really think CMB is getting a lot from both of them too. He is turning out to be a great addition to this team.

It is significant that we drilled UK with a mixed group of veterans and true FRs.

It speaks to our talent and also the recruiting and coaching abilities of Lamont.

Anything seems possible this season. Why not us?

As @kingofnerf has already noted, this game has trap written all over it.

On paper, we out-everything Mizzou. The ONE area they excel in is at the FT line, and you better believe they will be doing everything they can against us to get there.

I also worry that defensively, they are quite capable of keeping us off the 3 point line. This game will be a more defensively minded game for BOTH squads, and barring Mizzou getting in early foul trouble, I’m thinking it may be a low scoring game overall.

I’m hopeful that Coach Paris has his guys looking at “one game at a time”, so that they’re not thinking about the possibility of being ranked shortly. If so, I think we win. Not sure we win big (low scores, remember), but we at least get the W.

today mizzou is relentlessly attacking the basket. up 9 but gotta do a better job of staying in front of them. the only point theyve created outside the paint is off a play where we fouled a jumpshooter

maybe an adjustment double teaming the guard on the ball screen to force him to give it up. thats what we did on the last possession or two and their offense got out of sorts. good guys up 10 at the half. mack with 15, ugusuk with 8 off the bench.