Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GAMEDAY THREAD: South Carolina vs Houston

Lawson and Couisnard are both playing poorly.  Neither one could start for Houston.  In fact, USC has NO ONE who could start for Houston.  That's how much better Houston is than us.    Sampson can recruit and coach circles around Frank Martin.

Houston wins 77-67.

The rebounding was fairly even, but we got a ton of cheap easy rebounds in the 1st half thanks to Houston bricking so many shots. In the 2nd half, they fixed things and out-rebounded us 17-13. Biggest issues: when you are coached to play so aggressively on defense that you commit a ton of fouls, but the opponent STILL shoots north of 50% like Houston did in the 2nd half, then there's something fundamentally wrong with your defense. Houston was 21-25 at the line in the SECOND HALF ALONE, and 31-38 for the game. USC was 9-13 in the 2nd half, and 17-29 for the game. Those 14 extra points for Houston made the difference why the Gamecocks lost this game by 10 points...

I really didn't expect us to win this game.  But that was before I learned that Houston was missing its leading scorer and its head coach.   When I found that out, and listened to the first half, I had some hope.   But, as usual, our players were outclassed in the second half.    Imagine how badly they would have beaten us if they had all their players and their head coach!!  Frank is not recruiting and coaching well enough at this point.   Its disappointing.   I had hoped we would be better than this by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be surprised if Houston makes a deep run in the NCAAs   They are good.   Much better than us.   If we played them 10 times, I doubt we would win a single game.  Which is depressing knowing that Frank is in his 9th season.     I think we can be better than we were tonight, but I think we will struggle to make the NCAAT.   We MUST win ALL of out remaining non-conference games and win at least 10 games in the SEC.

Couisnard and Lawson are either hot or cold.   If either makes their first jumpshot, they have a chance to score well.    But if they miss on their first two, then its likely they won't shoot jumpers well in that game.   Unfortunately, Moss is the only guard on the bench who can make threes.   Except for Green and Frank won't play him.  So, on those nights when Lawson and Couisnard are cold, we will have a lot of trouble winning.   Our post guys, at this point, are not reliable scorers.   Add to all this that we are horrible at shooting free throws.     I'm worried.