Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With Fall camp starting tonight

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
I just wanted to post a couple thoughts.

Can you guys believe that Steve Spurrier has been our coach for 7, going on 8, seasons? When we hired him, I was thinking 6 or 7 max and then he would hand it off to Bubba but to this day it still blows my mind that he is entering year 8. Not only that, but he has promised a certain someone that he will be here at least 5 more years after this season. That would put him at 12 or 13 years total (he spent 12 at Florida). That is 5 more years with one of the greatest coaches in College Football roaming our sidelines, and it isn't like he is slowing down any either. He has a new knee, Geri and the family are in good health, his attitude as a whole is a complete 360 from where it was post Outback Bowl, he finally has a QB he can rely on and believes in, he is embracing "the closer" role in recruiting .. It just looks like he is finally loving coaching again. I don't think he was in 2007 and 2008.

He has stuck by us when he could've gone anywhere and I hope his loyalty to us will come back and reward him with not only a championship(s) but I hope we finally see the HBC's offense just one more time. I can't imagine how frustrating it has been for him to swallow his pride and play old school football the past 2 years. We know he loves winning as much as anyone else, and he won't say it publically but you have to imagine deep down he wants just one or more seasons where he can call plays like he did in Gainesville. I think that would be the ultimate gratification for him and would be a great ending for his career.

The second thing is mainly with our program. I've seen old replays of USC games pre-Spurrier and you really notice the changes that have been made since 2005. The aesthetics of Williams-Brice stadium stand out the most. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint, a few signs and banners, and small nuances have done to that stadium. Now we have a massive video board going up? Then you have the complete remodel of the surrounding areas, the new facilities, weight room, the new academic center, the baseball stadium .. I mean there has been a complete overhaul of USC football and USC athletics as a whole to the point where we can legitimately say we are a true SEC program now. It is getting to a point where it isn't the big 6 anymore. Not many people thought that was possible 7 years ago.

I guess with myself being young (26), I will have more positive memories and recollections of USC football when I get older than a lot of the old timer USC fans do now. I won't have this attitude of something is going to go wrong because that is what always happens with USC. I won't go into a game thinking I just want to see us compete. I won't have to say next year every season or this year is the year. Spurrier came in and wanted to change the culture and I think he has acheived that with the younger generation of Gamecocks including myself. I have no idea what is going to happen when he leaves and I don't want to think about it right now. All I can do is enjoy the ride because it is coming to an end soon, and it'll be one of those things where we say "has it really been 13 years?".

Anyway, there is my ramble on a Friday. I hope everyone that can make it to practice tonight goes and supports the guys. We have our question marks as a team just like everyone else in the country, but I truely believe this team is going to remind a lot of folks of Spurrier's teams at Florida. There are some big time playmakers and a lot of talent on this squad. They have what it takes to pull off a monstorous season, and its up to them and our entire football staff to see it through.

I just wanted to post a couple thoughts.

Can you guys believe that Steve Spurrier has been our coach for 7, going on 8, seasons? When we hired him, I was thinking 6 or 7 max and then he would hand it off to Bubba but to this day it still blows my mind that he is entering year 8. Not only that, but he has promised a certain someone that he will be here at least 5 more years after this season. That would put him at 12 or 13 years total (he spent 12 at Florida). That is 5 more years with one of the greatest coaches in College Football roaming our sidelines, and it isn't like he is slowing down any either. He has a new knee, Geri and the family are in good health, his attitude as a whole is a complete 360 from where it was post Outback Bowl, he finally has a QB he can rely on and believes in, he is embracing "the closer" role in recruiting .. It just looks like he is finally loving coaching again. I don't think he was in 2007 and 2008.

He has stuck by us when he could've gone anywhere and I hope his loyalty to us will come back and reward him with not only a championship(s) but I hope we finally see the HBC's offense just one more time. I can't imagine how frustrating it has been for him to swallow his pride and play old school football the past 2 years. We know he loves winning as much as anyone else, and he won't say it publically but you have to imagine deep down he wants just one or more seasons where he can call plays like he did in Gainesville. I think that would be the ultimate gratification for him and would be a great ending for his career.

The second thing is mainly with our program. I've seen old replays of USC games pre-Spurrier and you really notice the changes that have been made since 2005. The aesthetics of Williams-Brice stadium stand out the most. It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint, a few signs and banners, and small nuances have done to that stadium. Now we have a massive video board going up? Then you have the complete remodel of the surrounding areas, the new facilities, weight room, the new academic center, the baseball stadium .. I mean there has been a complete overhaul of USC football and USC athletics as a whole to the point where we can legitimately say we are a true SEC program now. It is getting to a point where it isn't the big 6 anymore. Not many people thought that was possible 7 years ago.

I guess with myself being young (26), I will have more positive memories and recollections of USC football when I get older than a lot of the old timer USC fans do now. I won't have this attitude of something is going to go wrong because that is what always happens with USC. I won't go into a game thinking I just want to see us compete. I won't have to say next year every season or this year is the year. Spurrier came in and wanted to change the culture and I think he has acheived that with the younger generation of Gamecocks including myself. I have no idea what is going to happen when he leaves and I don't want to think about it right now. All I can do is enjoy the ride because it is coming to an end soon, and it'll be one of those things where we say "has it really been 13 years?".

Anyway, there is my ramble on a Friday. I hope everyone that can make it to practice tonight goes and supports the guys. We have our question marks as a team just like everyone else in the country, but I truely believe this team is going to remind a lot of folks of Spurrier's teams at Florida. There are some big time playmakers and a lot of talent on this squad. They have what it takes to pull off a monstorous season, and its up to them and our entire football staff to see it through.
Very well said keep the posts coming!