Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will be no Luke Doty at QB during game against Florida or any of the 2 remaining regular season games

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Well, now that I have had time to cool off let us answer that fan cry, I want the backup QB in. Several good reasons why not.

The Gamecocks (6-4, 3-4 SEC) are already bowl-eligible, but the loss leaves the Gamecocks looking for answers with games upcoming against No. 5 Tennessee and No. 10 Clemson. Spencer Rattler wasn’t perfect on Saturday, though that was far from the Gamecocks’ only issue at The Swamp. Rattler finished the night 18 of 26 for 184 yards, no touchdowns, and no interceptions. Yet, if fans think a quarterback change is coming or even would change most of what’s been wrong with the South Carolina offense of late that’s not likely to happen.

Backup quarterback Luke Doty has already played four games this year, meaning one more appearance and he wouldn’t be able to take a redshirt and preserve a year of eligibility. Beamer said as much postgame. “Luke’s at a point right now where he’s played in four games, so I wasn’t going to put him in with three minutes left in the game and burn that fourth game,” he said. “I’m not saying we’re sitting here adamant about playing or redshirting Luke. But with three minutes in a game, we weren’t going to win, I wasn’t going to put him in there.” Dakereon Joyner was the only other Gamecock to take snaps at QB against Florida. Freshman Tanner Bailey also made the trip instead of Colten Gauthier, who was not on the travel roster.

Rattler hasn’t been out of this world this year, but he’s been good enough. This should be his show the rest of the way in what South Carolina calls offense.

How true best to save his redshirt at this point I would think. Really going to get ugly Saturday. Tennessee with that offense will score at will on our defense.

I am ok with trying to preserve Doty’s redshirt. He really wouldn’t make a difference in the outcome of the next two games. Get him ready for next season.

Joyner seems to be a serviceable backup who has been with the program a long time.

It is interesting that Bailey traveled instead of Gaultier except that Bailey is just there for emergency this year and that the offensive strategy doesn’t change much at all if you switch Rattler out a few plays for him.

Now as far as the QBs are concerned, i really hope Joyner get to play QB for at least a few drives on Senior Day. This will likely be his last home game (he is a redshirt Senior but can he still comeback next year? Idk). It would be nice to let the home crowd see him and cheer for him

Doty was playing hurt most of last season and most likely having to deal with a lot of pain.

Redshirt him and give Joyner a chance to do something, mainly because Doty would be stuck in that Pro-style box and most likely wouldn't make a difference.

Not sure if Rattler will stay here or not, either. We may need Doty's eligibility down the road if Rattler leaves. I doubt he will, but you never know in the age of the portal.