Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi range extender

Skyhawk96

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
Just curious what your thoughts are on these if you have used one. How well do they work?

I have used them and they work pretty well if you just need to extend the range by a small distance.  I think most extend the range by about 500 feet. After that, the signal tends to get spotty. If you need coverage for a larger area, you may want to look into a mesh router. The mesh system is more efficient and seamless than an extender, but also more expensive.

Check out this article for the pros and cons for both systems:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/wi-fi-range-extender-vs-mesh-network-whats-the-difference

I have used them and they work pretty well if you just need to extend the range by a small distance.  I think most extend the range by about 500 feet. After that, the signal tends to get spotty. If you need coverage for a larger area, you may want to look into a mesh router. The mesh system is more efficient and seamless than an extender, but also more expensive.

Check out this article for the pros and cons for both systems:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/wi-fi-range-extender-vs-mesh-network-whats-the-difference
2nd this.  Used netgear extenders and found them to be spotty for supporting my wifi cameras.  Switched to a mesh system and everything stays connected much more reliably.

2nd this.  Used netgear extenders and found them to be spotty for supporting my wifi cameras.  Switched to a mesh system and everything stays connected much more reliably.
Third this.  Use the Linksys Velop system -- good speed all through the house.

There will always be signal loss per foot.  A simpler, easier, and much cheaper alternative is changing router placement for more central broadcasting and to avoid signal barriers.  The old beer can reflector can actually be very helpful.  

wifi-Booster-Using-beer-can.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind. Extenders make the WiFi speed top cut in half. If you are really looking to get WiFi 200ft away, your best bet is probably to run ethenet cable and set up a second access point at the 200' spot.

Third this.  Use the Linksys Velop system -- good speed all through the house.
so we are looking for something like this once I get a real paycheck....are they difficult to set up?  We can't even get a signal in our bedroom with our router in the dead middle of our home (2700 sq ft main level) so we are desperate for anything as we have quit cable and switched to YouTube TV...do you think that this would help?  

so we are looking for something like this once I get a real paycheck....are they difficult to set up?  We can't even get a signal in our bedroom with our router in the dead middle of our home (2700 sq ft main level) so we are desperate for anything as we have quit cable and switched to YouTube TV...do you think that this would help?  
I thought it was pretty easy.  Linksys has an app that walks you through the process, which makes it pretty automatic.  I have 3 units of the Linksys Velop triband...one in the living room, one at the far end of the house and one upstairs.  It may be overkill, but I am pleased with the coverage.  I have a great signal even out in the garage and outdoors on the deck.  It's really embarrassing how dependent I've become on a good wifi signal.