Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is everyone making such a big deal about Texas and Southern Cal?

Cockyandproud

Eternal Gamecock Optimist
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Why is everyone so high on Texas, who went 5-7 last year, and Southern Cal, who went 4-8 last year? They are both ranked in the pre-season poll, and I don't see the reason for it. I know people are saying that they added talent to their rosters, particularly at QB, but what about us? We actually had a winning season last year, and we definitely upgraded our QB position, as well as WR, RB and some other positions. I'm fine with us not being in the top 25, because we haven't earned it, but if we haven't earned it, they sure as heck haven't.

Why is everyone so high on Texas, who went 5-7 last year, and Southern Cal, who went 4-8 last year? They are both ranked in the pre-season poll, and I don't see the reason for it. I know people are saying that they added talent to their rosters, particularly at QB, but what about us? We actually had a winning season last year, and we definitely upgraded our QB position, as well as WR, RB and some other positions. I'm fine with us not being in the top 25, because we haven't earned it, but if we haven't earned it, they sure as heck haven't.
They're marquee names like Notre Dame. Nothing else.

With USC, I think it's also the fact that Lincoln Riley is now the head coach. This is the perfect school for Riley who has a history of recruiting skill players. One of the analysts on Game Day made a good point that the Sooners trench players had definitely taken a step back since Stoops left. This is going to be USC's problem...they've always been able to attract skill position talent -- can they attract Line talent with a head coach that appears to prioritize skill positions?