Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can we expect against E. Illinois?

CockyinVa

Fanatics Cash
Of course we expect a win against a div. 3 school  that was last in their division in 2019.  Wish we were playing a better opponent, no offense E. Illinois, but it is what it is.  What can we take away from this game?  What are the positives we can build on?  Practice starts soon, hope we're prepared and get through it injury free.  I'm ready for some Gamecock football!

I expect our offensive staff to run, run, run. Get Kevin enough carries to knock the dust off and get Marshawn a lot of "welcome back" yardage. And get Luke enough easy throws to build confidence but not give away our plan for the next games. So, in other words, vanilla. But if our best can't beat their best with a vanilla playbook, we are in trouble.

I expect the goalposts to stay intact.

DirectGrippingBlackbuck-max-1mb.gif

Eastern Illinois is not Div-III but are Div-I-A otherwise known as FCS. So we open with a cupcake, either way. Usually when we played these cupcakes, we tried to schedule them in the week prior to playing Clemson, to give the team a break from the tough SEC schedule. Now opening with a FCS doesn't do anything for us, and really we won't learn too many lessons of worth for the 2nd week.

But for Week 2 we will play at East Carolina, and while that's a step up from any FCS opponent, they were 7-14 over the past 2 seasons (we were 6-16), so they won't be the toughest opponent we could play, even on their field. So perhaps playing a FCS to open 2021 will teach us how to better compete with a FBS opponent, and then the FBS opponent in Week 2 will teach us how to better compete with a SEC opponent. We'll see.

Our non-conference games will be East. Illinois, East Carolina, Troy (5-6 in 2020), and Clemson. We'll have a better than decent chance of going 3-1 against that 4. Then we'll need to figure out how to win 3 games out of Kentucky at home (5-6 in '20), Tennessee in Knoxville (3-7 in '20), Vanderbilt at home, Missouri in MO. (5-5 in '20), and Auburn at home (new staff and schemes like us).

Clemson looks to have loaded up on their schedule. They play TWO FCS opponents in SC State and Connecticut.....

With our size and talent level as compared to them, we should bully them in the trenches.  Probably a steady running game and some short passes to get Doty and all the WRs/TEs involved.  I don't expect much of a game and it really shouldn't be one regardless of how we finished last year.  If it's close, then hold on for the rest of the season. 

Eastern Illinois is not Div-III but are Div-I-A otherwise known as FCS. So we open with a cupcake, either way. Usually when we played these cupcakes, we tried to schedule them in the week prior to playing Clemson, to give the team a break from the tough SEC schedule. Now opening with a FCS doesn't do anything for us, and really we won't learn too many lessons of worth for the 2nd week.

But for Week 2 we will play at East Carolina, and while that's a step up from any FCS opponent, they were 7-14 over the past 2 seasons (we were 6-16), so they won't be the toughest opponent we could play, even on their field. So perhaps playing a FCS to open 2021 will teach us how to better compete with a FBS opponent, and then the FBS opponent in Week 2 will teach us how to better compete with a SEC opponent. We'll see.

Our non-conference games will be East. Illinois, East Carolina, Troy (5-6 in 2020), and Clemson. We'll have a better than decent chance of going 3-1 against that 4. Then we'll need to figure out how to win 3 games out of Kentucky at home (5-6 in '20), Tennessee in Knoxville (3-7 in '20), Vanderbilt at home, Missouri in MO. (5-5 in '20), and Auburn at home (new staff and schemes like us).

Clemson looks to have loaded up on their schedule. They play TWO FCS opponents in SC State and Connecticut.....
Unsolicited piece of advice...do not get misled by ECU's record from two years ago. Mike Houston is a terrific football coach that has been doing nothing but rebuilding the Pirates program from the ground up for the last couple of years. Dowdy-Ficklen can be a buzz saw if they stay close and score points. Pirates have heart. We should win that football game but ECU's history is filled with wins over 'bigger schools' they shouldn't be beating.

Beamer's attention to detail and personnel management skills will make up for his lack of experience as a HC.

I expect us to get a solid win if Coach White has the defense playing better this year instead of leaking like a sieve as it has the past few seasons.

I expect the goalposts to stay intact.

Pulling down the goal post would be a realistic possibility if we beat the Taters at W-B this year were it not for the "automatic goal post retract" mechanism.  LOL

Not really a bad idea to drop the goal posts with the new mechanism for the symbolism if we do it, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
We won't learn much from this game. I expect to see us score a lot and be able to play a lot of young men. I think that we will learn just how hard the team will play for Beamer.

Our program has gotten to the point where Wofford could walk into W-B and kick us pretty good if we fall asleep on them.

The ability to get a decisive victory against a lesser team would actually be a sign of improvement.

The grain of slat with that, though, wouldn't be to screw up like Muschamp did by leaving Hilinski in too long that allowed him to get a gimpy elbow out of it.  That wasn't good game management in hindsight.

Just being able to build a good lead up enough to allow some reserves to get some PT and build some depth would be something we haven't done in a while.

Our program has gotten to the point where Wofford could walk into W-B and kick us pretty good if we fall asleep on them.

The ability to get a decisive victory against a lesser team would actually be a sign of improvement.

The grain of slat with that, though, wouldn't be to screw up like Muschamp did by leaving Hilinski in too long that allowed him to get a gimpy elbow out of it.  That wasn't good game management in hindsight.

Just being able to build a good lead up enough to allow some reserves to get some PT and build some depth would be something we haven't done in a while.
100% agree, let the starters play and don’t try to slow them down.  Once a lead is built maybe pull them half way through the 3rd.  I do think with a young team even with a sizable lead you don’t want to pull them to soon.

100% agree, let the starters play and don’t try to slow them down.  Once a lead is built maybe pull them half way through the 3rd.  I do think with a young team even with a sizable lead you don’t want to pull them to soon.
Exactly.  Either because of a new HC or the previous losing season, realistically, everyone is competing for their jobs this year. 

Actually that's the way it should be all the time if it's done the right way.  That's how Dawn does it.

Pulling down the goal post would be a realistic possibility if we beat the Taters at W-B this year were it not for the "automatic goal post retract" mechanism.  LOL

Not really a bad idea to drop the goal posts with the new mechanism for the symbolism if we do it, either.
We beat the taters, then we'll be digging up the goal posts, retract mechanism be damned.

Unsolicited piece of advice...do not get misled by ECU's record from two years ago.
Yup....ECU is going to be an early benchmark for SB & staff. Win convincingly, and maybe we start looking forward to try & beat UGA. 

Win a nail biter, or even lose....going to be a long season. 

How/when did they get a picture of my wife shopping for potato chips? She was going to visit her Mother!