Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** USC MBB (4-0) vs. Grand Canyon (3-0) Arizona Tip-off Title Game Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

Sunday’s title tilt at Desert Diamond Arena will be the first ever matchup between Carolina and Grand Canyon. The Lopes are led by former Vanderbilt head coach Bryce Drew. They won the WAC last season and were a No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament, falling 82-70 to Gonzaga in the round of 64.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyMy8xMS9jZGEyOGQ3OS1nYW1lYWN0aW9uX3ZzZGVwYXVsXzA4LmpwZw.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Bryce Drew was a disappointment at Vandy, but let's not forget how many times he took Valpo to the Big Dance before taking the Vandy job.

Tonight's game will not be a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination. Great measuring stick game for Lamont as a P5 head coach.

Never heard of Gran Canyon college. But a win is a win, and starting 5-0 is nothing to sneeze at, even if it is these early season games.

Never heard of Gran Canyon college. But a win is a win, and starting 5-0 is nothing to sneeze at, even if it is these early season games.

I had not heard of them either but apparently they are stepping up. The Lopes are led by former Vanderbilt head coach Bryce Drew. They won the WAC last season and were a No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

I understand winning the WAC may not be a big deal, but it was enough to get them to the show and they had to win games to get the title.

Lamont said he had to get the right players for the style of basketball he wanted to play. Gone are the awkward middle linebacker body types and in are the ones more suited for P5D1 basketball. The head cases are also gone and great unselfish play on offense.

A great game between two well-coached teams. It won't be easy, but I don't see us losing any OOC games this season, including the Clemson game.