Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UCF football team is trading jersey numbers for QR codes

But how will the refs keep track of the player numbers for the penalties?

I would think there has to be a number on their unis somewhere to allow for that.

Dumb gimmick and totally impractical. If you are watching on TV, the players and camera are rarely still enough.. ANd if you are in the stands, forget about it.

Not to mention this... The numbers are primarily for the refs I believe.
But how will the refs keep track of the player numbers for the penalties?

I would think there has to be a number on their unis somewhere to allow for that.

Dumb gimmick and totally impractical. If you are watching on TV, the players and camera are rarely still enough.. ANd if you are in the stands, forget about it.

Not to mention this... The numbers are primarily for the refs I believe.
Wasn't it Vandy we were playing that had black numbers for their special unis and had to change them because the refs couldn't make them out?

I can't see how barcodes in place of numbers don't cause the same problem.

The refs will wear augmented reality glasses. The glasses will also assist with 1st down markers and tracking the location of the football.

false statements above

assist with 1st down markers and tracking the location of the football.
The USFL is sort of doing the above with a microchip in the football, so you have precise ball placement -- coverage has kind of looked like the major tennis tournaments that track the ball in or out. Pretty cool technology -- absolutely no reason for spotting errors anymore.