Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Train Derailments

STS

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
I just heard on radio about another in Alabama...what is the deal lately with so many derailments? Is the number any going up? It seems that we heard about them from time to time but not as often as it seems as of late...

47dpbf.jpg

I just heard on radio about another in Alabama...what is the deal lately with so many derailments? Is the number any going up? It seems that we heard about them from time to time but not as often as it seems as of late...

Poor track maintenance. Excessive speed. Improperly positioned switches. Staffing issues.

One of those or all of those together in a surging economy.

I remember a derailment west of Columbia some years ago that was caused by a switch that sent the train down a sidetrack next to a factory and caused a real bad chemical spill.

Before the airlines, the railroads were in the forefront of technology and automation. Sad.

I remember a derailment west of Columbia some years ago that was caused by a switch that sent the train down a sidetrack next to a factory and caused a real bad chemical spill.
Graniteville train disaster. I used to visit that factory for work and was very familiar with that area. People got gassed with chlorine. :(

Railroad companies have been lobbying for decades against mandates for new electronically controlled breaking systems on rail cars that can reduce stopping distance by as much as 60%.

Now we are all reaping what they sowed.

Graniteville train disaster. I used to visit that factory for work and was very familiar with that area. People got gassed with chlorine. :(
I worked for a company that did HVAC service for several textile/clothing factories there as the company EHS Coordinator. I went to the site with one of our service techs 4-5 days after the incident.

There were still dozens of dead animals laying around the grounds. Squirrels, cats, rabbits, birds etc.

I worked for a company that did HVAC service for several textile/clothing factories there as the company EHS Coordinator. I went to the site with one of our service techs 4-5 days after the incident.
Seems lots of items needed replacing in evacuated areas due to corrosion from the gas. Dedly killer left its mark. 😳

Last edited:
Seems lots of items needed replacing in evacuated areas due to corrosion from the gas. Deadly killer left its mark. 😳
Yes, it destroyed all of the HVAC equipment there. Pumps and motors were all destroyed.

Dang Chlorine gas is no joke...yikes! We have tons of railroads through my area due to the coal that is still coming out of the mines in SW Va and West Va