Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic tourist mini-sub missing

A guy Piers Morgan interviewed yesterday mentioned the ship hearing a loud crack or pop sound very near the time they initially lost contact with the sub.

Another guy said that the pressure is like being underneath an 11-story building. He clapped his hand to show how quick the sub would implode and flatten out.

Someone else also pointed out the sub should have an automatic ascent routine if something were to happen. I don't know.

Someone also said they dove twice in the 2000s in a sub with a Russian pilot. The current unexpectedly pinned the sub between a propeller blade and the hull for an hour, but the Russian pilot worked his mojo and worked the sub free.

Last edited:
Another guy said that the pressure is like being underneath an 11-story building. He clapped his hand to show how quick the sub would implode and flatten out.

The pressure under 13000 ft of water is like 400x that of atmospheric pressure. Over 5000 psi. If it collapsed, it would have been instant. Does not explain the banging sound. Of course, that could be something completely unrelated.

The thing I've been wondering about, and it was detailed in the Fox piece above, was the ambient temperature at 13,000 feet below sea level. At that depth it is 31 degrees F, so below freezing (non-salination). Pretty sure coats weren't part of the dress expectations going down.

I believe the whole hull is carbon fiber.

Combining that with the extreme high pressure environment down there, it makes me think an implosion would just disintegrate everything, sub or human, much like what happened when the twin towers fell on 9/11. Stuff just got atomized.

The debris is consistent with a “catastrophic implosion” of the vessel, Rear Adm. John Mauger, the First Coast Guard District commander announced.

Mauger made the remarks after he was asked about the prospects of recovering crew members of the Titan.

“This is an incredibly unforgiving environment down there on the sea floor and the debris is consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vessel,” Mauger said.

Looking at that thing there is no way I would have ventured down in that trash can, but I am thankful for people who have the adventurous spirit. Many great things and discoveries in our world can be attributed to it. Prayers of peace for their families.

Looking at that thing there is no way I would have ventured down in that trash can, but I am thankful for people who have the adventurous spirit. Many great things and discoveries in our world can be attributed to it. Prayers of peace for their families.
Sounds like it was more or less an instant implosion. They would have been crushed instantly. Horrible but at least without any suffering or agony.

The thing that gets me in all this - We have all these remote controlled, unmanned robotic subs with HD cameras and everything esle. This little mini-sub has 1 tiny window and a couple of monitors for outside cameras. What is gained by sending people down there? Other then just bragging rights to say you have seen the titanic with your own eyes?

This is a horrible tragedy, but it's still nice to know that we still have a system like this in place to track enemy ballistic missile subs before they get to their launch ranges in the wake of recent tensions with China and Russia.

The thing that gets me in all this - We have all these remote controlled, unmanned robotic subs with HD cameras and everything esle. This little mini-sub has 1 tiny window and a couple of monitors for outside cameras. What is gained by sending people down there? Other then just bragging rights to say you have seen the titanic with your own eyes?
When you run out of things to spend your $$ on, I guess you consider a deep dive. :oops: