Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Civil War: A Narrative

dreammachine

Fanatics Cash
I love reading and hearing about all military war/stories from just about any time period, but I will have to say that the "THREE VOLUME SET - THAT SHELBY FOOTE - ABOUT THE CIVIL WAR - WHICH TOOK HIM TWENTY YEARS TO COMPLETE" is without a doubt the greatest collection of material for someone to read that wants to know what really happened during the "Late War Of Northern Aggression or War Between The States" as I prefer to call it.  Mr. Shelby Foote writes these three volumes (Being A True Southerner) from a very independent viewpoint - neither taking a Southern Side or Union Side in these three great books.  I really thought I knew a lot about the "War Between The States" until I read these three great volumes.  Needless to say, when I first got these three volumes as a gift from my older brother in the late 90's, I have read and re-read these volumes so many times now that I have lost count of the actual number of times I have read them.  If there was ever a greater writer than Shelby Foote on the whole war from before Fort Sumter to Appomattox Court House, I have failed to find and read it.  It seems as though each time I read a volume (Yes, the are thick) - I find out something new or something maybe I had somehow forgotten.  Reading these three novels also gave me a much better understanding of the men who fought for the Union and also a lot about their generals and common - front line soldiers - who were just as brave as our "Boys In Gray" - except there were just far too many of them for the South to ever win a "straight up war" - if it could ever be called that.  The reasons the South lost the war is explained by Mr. Shelby Foote in much better ways than I could ever do, but I would highly recommend these three volumes to anyone who has a interest in that part of American History.  Great historical writers like Mr. Shelby Foote may be a thing of the past now as these fine gentlemen lived in a time period where there were still some people or children of people still alive that had fought in this American Tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator: