Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spurrier worried about complacency, not Tanner McEvoy (AUDIO)

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Steve Spurrier joined us on SportsTalk Monday from the South Carolina Coaches for Charity event in Columbia and with the preseason camp just a few days away the Head Ball Coach broke away from his mostly positive offseason rhetoric. Spurrier said he recently received some less than stellar reports on some of his players offseason effort.

“We had some guys he (strength coach Joe Connolly)said some of them could have done better,” Spurrier said. “We had some guys he said could have done a lot better and some were pretty sorry. …So us coaches were’ going to be ready to yell and scream a little bit the first couple of days of practice that’s for sure. Maybe our guys are a little too comfortable right now. Everybody tells you how good you’re gonna be and if you start believing it you could be headed for some rough times.”

Spurrier also talked about the arrest of reserve quarterback Tanner McEvoy in Charlotte over the weekend.

“What happened is Tanner got a speeding ticket and the guy said have you had a beer and he said yes sir, I had one maybe two I’m not sure, but he was not over the limit. It was not a DUI.”

Spurrier said he was unaware of the North Carolina law that states no one under the age of 21 is allowed to drive after comsuming any amount of alchohol.

“I learned that today. I didn’t know. So Tanner was guilty of speeding and he was guilty of that [drinking a beer] too. That could probably happen to 50 percent of every college football player in the country if they’ve had one beer and driven. I don’t reccomend having too many obviously. But, yeah, he’ll just have to pay the consequences for being arrested.

As for just how severe those consequences will be, Spurrier said that will be newly minted Gamecock athletic director Ray Tanner’s call.

“He’s suspended for a while, meets with the athletic director. It will be Tanner vs Tanner in the meeting. Coach Tanner and Tanner McEvoy. So when the Tanners get through talking we will find out what the punishment is.”

Take a listen to all of Spurrier’s comments below.

AUDIO:

Download

Steve Spurrier on SportsTalk [5:09]

link: http://sportstalkgol...r-mcevoy-audio/

Last edited by a moderator: