Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Carolina’s live rooster mascot in search of a new name

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
New alias for the mascot formerly known as Sir Big Spur will be announced sometime between now and when the Gamecocks kick off the season on Sept. 3 against Georgia State, the university

We all know the reason by now a cone or no cone. Will keep the cone so the mascot will have a new name. It boils down to a disagreement between the bird’s original owners Mary Snelling and Ron Albertelli and the new owners, Beth and Van Clark, over whether or not the animal’s “comb” on its head should be trimmed.

An agreement with the original owners allowing the use of the Sir Big Spur name has expired. USC is guiding the process to select a new name.

The Clarks, for now, has changed the Twitter handle of the rooster simply to “mascot.” The new name won’t be Big Spur, which was the name used for South Carolina costumed mascot in the pre-1980s and before the creation of Cocky. The university’s legal team “advised against using an old name ‘Big Spur,’ which was suggested by many fans, due to its close relationship to Sir Big Spur, which is not owned by the University,

To make matters worse, The State has a current poll going with names that seem to have been the result of a middle school boy's imagination.

Cock Commander is leading. Others include Captain Cluck, Cluck Norris, Brooster, Marco Pollo, Kickin' Chicken, and Cock-a-doodle Dude.

To make matters worse, The State has a current poll going with names that seem to have been the result of a middle school boy's imagination.

Cock Commander is leading. Others include Captain Cluck, Cluck Norris, Brooster, Marco Pollo, Kickin' Chicken, and Cock-a-doodle Dude.
Oh dear lord. Please tell me you're joking.

Oh dear lord. Please tell me you're joking.

I wish I was.

And it's gaining national attention. The CFB subReddit has two threads going right now about this story. Each and every person there seems to support "Cock Commander", because it is so ridiculous and sophomoric. I like a good dirty joke from time to time, but there's a time and place for that.

I'm really, really surprised that "Cocky McCockface" isn't the leader. That's usually the way these public naming things go.

Well USC will have a name for the mascot by Friday next week before kick-off.

This whole thing is dumb. The previous owners of sir big spur are either petty or just want to get paid. Probably both.

Just call him “Gamecock” and move along, nothing to see here.

If a better name comes up down the road, use it, otherwise let it be. No need to force it.
I'd be fine with "The Gamecock", as well, unless there is a copyright on calling something what It is.