Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sherrod Greene and base 3 LB personnel

crowcutta

Fanatics Cash
i didnt pay close attention to how often we stayed in our base defense and didnt match personnel vs mizzou, but its something we definitely did often vs kentucky.  muschamp mentioned in his postgame presser that hes always matched personnel throughout his career but its a tendency hes breaking due to sherrod greene playing better than the nickel position and it seems to be having a positive effect on the defense as a whole.  going with base personnel limits some of the things we can do coverage wise, but now youre a more physical team and theoretically youre putting the opposing offense in more obvious passing situations.  the other potential positive is now the young slot corners arent having to play as many snaps and specifically as many likely run support snaps.  this may be the move that turns this unit around. 

sherrod was much maligned last year to the point i was dreading the potential of him starting, but hes played some damn good football this year. 

Green seems like the light has come on for him.  He has the speed sideline to sideline and made an excellent play last week on the tight end slipping out of the backfield.  His closing speed is very good, I think last year he was just flying, but not always sure where he was flying too and consequently found himself out of position or overrunning the play and missing the tackle.  

i think you nailed it.  he flashed those skills when he was still a reserve in 2017 that had me thinking taking over from skai would be seamless.  sometimes its a big leap going from flashing as a reverse to starter and the loss of personnel around you can put even more on your loaded plate.  the defensive staff mentioned in the offseason they felt brunson struggled at times simply because he had to play too many snaps. 

greene with his sideline to sideline speed and physicality can be a difference maker. 

i think you nailed it.  he flashed those skills when he was still a reserve in 2017 that had me thinking taking over from skai would be seamless.  sometimes its a big leap going from flashing as a reverse to starter and the loss of personnel around you can put even more on your loaded plate.  the defensive staff mentioned in the offseason they felt brunson struggled at times simply because he had to play too many snaps. 

greene with his sideline to sideline speed and physicality can be a difference maker. 
Agree, Greene coming on strong now. 

I have been wishing we run more of the Defense we did during the UK game. I ma glad MUSCHAMP is seeing that some of his ways are not working and changing that. Great coaches learn to adapt to the personnel they have.