Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Hillinski Enters Transfer portal

I hate it but I'm sure that he sees the writing on the wall.  The gamecocks offense is not going to favor a stand in the pocket passer going forward.  He may as well go where he'll get to play.

My guess is that the offense we are going to run next year does not fit what he does.  Doty and  Gauthier are  DT quarterbacks and so is Stockton, which tells me that is the direction this offense will go and probably needs to 

I think there's a reason he didn't see the field this year - but I have no idea what it is, not an "insider," and I don't have sources. But I also think CMB has a better sense of the readiness of his QB room than I do. It was mystifying to me because the fact that he couldn't unseat Hill, even when Hill played as poorly as he did - tells me a lot about how ready Bobo felt he was ... and then when we got to the place that anything with an arm was going to give us a better shot than Hill, it wasn't Hilinski in there, it was Doty.

I guess I struggle to understand how Ryan went from a QB that started in 2019 when Jake went down and played pretty well.  Practice or not, come game time, Hill was not the answer.  He ranked in the bottom of the SEC QB stats.  After 2-3 games, I am baffled that Bobo did not at least try Ryan.  It's not like Ryan never played in a SEC game.  Maybe he would have flopped, but could he really have been worse than Hill?  No offense, but if you can't win in the Mountain West, no way in hell you win in the SEC.  Hill just isn't a gamer and does not have the "IT" factor IMO. 

The numbers always work out. 

Best of luck to you Ryan....go kill it!

Ace, I am not saying Ryan should have been named the starter, but Hill struggled. It just seems strange when as team we were going no where, Ryan played a few snaps against Vandy and A&M.  Just curious why the staff did not put him in to see if anything would happen against A&M (earlier) or LSU.  Both of those games were loses long before the final gun.  I guess I just wonder why he did not get any meaningful snaps to see if he would spark the offense.  I get the impression he and Bobo did not care for each other.

Not surprised once Bobo was sticking around knew Ryan would be gone. 

not a surprise. i think we were lucky to have him while we did and let's be real...his family's story was a great thing to rally around amidst some terrible football. 

I don't pretend to know the reason Ryan never got any significant playing time, but it gave the appearance that Bobo had his mind made up to play his guy. When the much needed change came, someone decided to go with Doty.  I like what Doty brings to the team and I hope that he is gangbusters if he is our #1 qb. I also wish Ryan the very best no matter where he ends up playing. (except clemsux)

That's disappointing to hear, but I can't think of a single QB in recent years who has transferred out of here and flourished somewhere else.

Good luck to him.

I don't pretend to know the reason Ryan never got any significant playing time, but it gave the appearance that Bobo had his mind made up to play his guy. When the much needed change came, someone decided to go with Doty.  I like what Doty brings to the team and I hope that he is gangbusters if he is our #1 qb. I also wish Ryan the very best no matter where he ends up playing. (except clemsux)
Bobo wanted his man which Gamecocks and Clemson offered no scholarship to Hill not even a preferred walk-on. Hill had to go out West  where he ending up 2 bad knees, can not throw the ball which we all know. This was a Cluster F from the start  when he was named the starter, That is when I knew we were in for a long disappointing season. As far as Bobo remining as OC I wish the Gamecocks would have moved on. But will give him the benefit of the doubt. He is professional I am simply a fan from a fans stand point. All I know all the eggs are in one basket with Doty. 

I wonder if after his injury he just got scared. He got chucked in at the deep end when he played for us. It may have gotten in his head, and he couldn’t shake it. That would explain why he dropped down the depth chart. 
Whatever his situation, or where he winds up, I hope he does well, unless he’s playing against Carolina. 

Not sure what happened with him. Even f Doty was better, I think he deserved at least a chance to show it once Hill was not working out. Best of luck to him. 

I always hate to see a player leave the program. However, we all suspected this might happen. As the old saying goes a winning QB gets too much credit while a losing QB gets too much blame. As the game continues to evolve it's clear to me that dual threat quarterbacks are on the rise. A "pro style" or drop back player has to have great receivers to excel. Just look at what happened last night. Kyle Trask, a Heisman finalist, looked terrible without his two favorite targets. Until we get more top notch receivers we have to have a guy that can create with his feet as well as his arm. Apparently, Hilinski is not that guy. I hope he finds a team where his skill set fits. Meanwhile the Cocks have to find some hidden gems that can catch anything thrown near them.  We probably won't get a DeVonta Smith or a Kyle Pitts, but maybe we can find another Pharoh Cooper or Bryan Edwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. Much respect for him and his family. 

Not sure what happened with him. 
Dunno...I've seen comments about work ethic and attitude. But those are unverified. 

Statistically, Ryan and Colin Hill are dead even, so there's no evidence that Ryan would have done any better under the circumstances (we did have Bryan Edwards last season).

No dis on Ryan....he was a TR FR last season, but he did miss on lots of passes. Shows us form and a quick release do not = passing accuracy.