Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old State Road in Cayce... haunted

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
I'm sure a lot of folks from around here are aware of the stories about Old State Road, a lot of people I know swear it's haunted and yad yada yada. Well, the State had an article today about how they are planning to build a 12000 year old History Park and Walkway down Old State Road and on Old State Bridge. Apparantly, when Sherman was marching through SC in 65 he came right up Old State Road and took out about 1500 Confederate Soliders along the Old State Stretch (believe this was calle the battle of Congaree Creek). The article said that the Rebels tried to burn the bridge but the Yanks were able to save it, I guess when they were retreatig. Article also said that the Rebels had built dirt mounds along Congaree Creek and was using that to fight against the North-the dirt mounds are still there.

The park is going to highlight the battle and also some Rev war battles that rook place in this area also. Also mentioned that Indian artificacts have been found and will also be highlighted in this park and walkway.

Anyways, just though the local W. Cola folks might find this interesting given all the stories about Old State. I never knew any battles took place down that way. I'm sure the History Buffs probably knew. Park and walkway should be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: