Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My quick steps to rebuilding Gamecock football

JimG

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
1. New coaches have to find ways to win the winnable and win a few that are considered upsets. 

2. Be patient while building recruiting momentum. Have to keep winning. This may take 3-4 years. 

3. Continue to develop underdeveloped players and build depth while waiting on some of the elite players * to come on board. 

4. When elite players arrive, take it to the next level. 

* we will need 2-3 years of bringing in some elite players to get enough on the roster. 

Maybe with a combination of all of the above, we might have something special.  :dancincocky:  

I feel 3 years in today's collage football 3 years you know what you have. Let me add somehow some way Gamecocks have to beat  Clemson.  If Dabo moves on like when Danny Ford left them football recruiting change  but the Gamecocks failed to keep it going over and over. once or if they can the Gamecocks need to turn the corner here. Will be a wrong road. Plus Tanner has to get the hire right this time.

I feel 3 years in today's collage football 3 years you know what you have. Let me add somehow some way Gamecocks have to beat  Clemson.  If Dabo moves on like when Danny Ford left them football recruiting change  but the Gamecocks failed to keep it going over and over. once or if they can the Gamecocks need to turn the corner here. Will be a wrong road. Plus Tanner has to get the hire right this time.
I do agree you know more or less what you have after 3 although line play wins and loses games and 3 years requires you to hit on just about all of those recruits, which is not an easy task.   I think you have to give a 4 year contract for a coach to be able to attract good coordinators and to give them the ability to recruit the kids knowing their coach will be there.  Beating Clemson is not an immediate requirement for me, it took Dabo until year 6 to beat Carolina, but he was winning in the All Cupcake Conference so it bought him time he may not have otherwise been given.  

Dabo is he has a strangle hold on the best talent instate and out. To build those lines takes good players which you can tell before Chumps fire Gamecocks were 54 in recruiting rankings now in the 90s while Clemson is constant top 3 or 4. Gamecocks will never catch up under the Gamecocks cheat or Dabo moves on I lived through the Danny years lean years beating them. One or two maybe three. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dabo is he has a strangle hold on the best talent instate and out. To build those lines takes good players which you can tell before Chumps fire Gamecocks were 54 in recruiting rankings now in the 90s while Clemson is constant top 3 or 4. Gamecocks will never catch up under the Gamecocks cheat or Dabo moves on I lived through the Danny years lean years beating them. One or two maybe three. 
He does.  He started with that wide open offense that attracted the skill players and got them beating teams, and then it took him several years to get the line play that allowed him to beat the better teams.  Now he is getting both and can really play any kind of offense they want and the defense is getting the best as well.  They caught lightning in a bottle with Dabo and he is the exception rather than they norm.  Look at all the hot coaches from when we hired Muschamp and almost all of them are on the hot seat.  There is so much that will go on in the interview process that none of us will be privy to that we only really know a small amount.  I would have to think whoever they hire will be based on the staff that they can bring with them as was shown with Clemson the assistants are really where the difference is made and it took them a few years to get it right.  From what I can see from the outside Napier seems to make the most sense, but there is so much more we don't know.  

I would start with building an OL and a DL that is remotely competitive in the SEC...the rest will follow IMO

I feel 3 years in today's collage football 3 years you know what you have. 
We should know within 2 if we have a guy that can pull out some wins. Steve did some of this his first year, then struggled with recruiting for his next 3-4 seasons. 

We don't even have the talent base that Steve started with. He had Rice and Kenny....we have to go find some WRs. 

We should know within 2 if we have a guy that can pull out some wins. Steve did some of this his first year, then struggled with recruiting for his next 3-4 seasons. 

We don't even have the talent base that Steve started with. He had Rice and Kenny....we have to go find some WRs. 
Know within 2?  Are you giving him a pass for year one?  I would b/c of recruting

What worked for him at Houston is a failure at Texas. That was my first pick to replace Spurrier when he left. Goes to show that the coaching search is a crap game. most likely if he did get the job here we would be having the same discussions here with even him it seems.

I would start with building an OL and a DL that is remotely competitive in the SEC...the rest will follow IMO
I think those are what takes the longest to build.  I think the reason the offense gets it started is because you become fun to watch and it is easier to scout a receiver than it is to scout a lineman especially offensive lineman.  You rarely see an OL with a 5* rating because so much has to do with judging how they will perform as they add the weight they need to play in a big college program.  I think if we can get an exciting offense the rest will follow.  There are plenty of really good receivers that come out every year and we need to be able to get an offense that attracts them.  Building an OL and DL with depth to compete with GA and Al will take some time 

Herman is the head scratcher....but allegedly he is just not liked by his players. That's another box that needs to be checked. 
I get his players not liking him.  He seems like a self-absorbed tool looking from the outside in.  

I get his players not liking him.  He seems like a self-absorbed tool looking from the outside in.  
....and likeability is not something you can just become.....I should know....no one likes me.  :D

Herman is the head scratcher....but allegedly he is just not liked by his players. That's another box that needs to be checked. 
At Houston he was considered a players coach.

Remember the grill, the kissing of players, etc?

Maybe the Longhorns just don't respond to his "hands on" approach?

Know within 2?  Are you giving him a pass for year one?  I would b/c of recruting
Dunno.....the CV effect? We are deep in a hole with WRs and the defense is a mess. If we get to 6 wins next season, we should probably be elated. 

Maybe the Longhorns just don't respond to his "hands on" approach?
AbleLinearIberianmidwifetoad-size_restricted.gif

I think those are what takes the longest to build.  I think the reason the offense gets it started is because you become fun to watch and it is easier to scout a receiver than it is to scout a lineman especially offensive lineman.  You rarely see an OL with a 5* rating because so much has to do with judging how they will perform as they add the weight they need to play in a big college program.  I think if we can get an exciting offense the rest will follow.  There are plenty of really good receivers that come out every year and we need to be able to get an offense that attracts them.  Building an OL and DL with depth to compete with GA and Al will take some time 
makes sense...I just can't even remember the last time we had an elite offensive player look our way...but you are correct I am sure...I just get tired of seeing us blown off the ball by teams we should be able to compete with