Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MBB @ UGA Discussion and Predictions Thread

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Here's how we have faired at UGA since the 2016-17 season.

YearDateSchoolRankLocationOpponentRankW/LPTSOPPOT
2016-171/4/2017South Carolina@GeorgiaW6761
2017-181/13/2018South Carolina@GeorgiaW6457
2018-192/2/2019South Carolina@GeorgiaW8680
2019-202/12/2020South Carolina@GeorgiaW7559
2020-212/27/2021South Carolina@GeorgiaW9170
2021-222/12/2022South Carolina@GeorgiaW8068
2022-231/28/2023South Carolina@GeorgiaL78811

Frank owned Mark Fox and the guy who eventually replaced him, but things have changed a bit since UGA hired proven SEC HC Mike White away from Florida last year.

No one expected the Dawgs to beat us at home this year, but they did.

Time to get some payback in Athens on Saturday.

Here’s the reality… this is a VERY good team, that is one superstar forward short of being an NCAA contender. People look at their record and say “they’re good, but they’re not THAT good”. But looks can be deceiving. UGA put up 96 points in a loss to UK and 98 points in a loss to FL. They’ve played some tough ACC teams early on in the season, and are battle tested and ready. Heck, they put an L in our W-L record.
Make no mistake… Mike White is a VERY good coach, and he showed in our last game that he could out “chess match” Coach Paris (I said at the time that I thought we lost that game due to coaching decisions).

I am holding my breath on this one… we’ve got to get Meechie hot again AND we’ve got to get ALL of our bigs putting up at least 8-10 pts each and pulling more than 6-7 OFFENSIVE rebounds, or we have trouble on our hands. Keep a close eye on the stat lines. UGA matches up well with our strengths, and I fully expect to see them causing our guys to send them to the FT line A LOT.

I don’t like this one… it’s a trap game if there ever was one, and it’s AT Stegman. We’ll need another brilliant game from Stute. And Josh Gray better show HUGE numbers against Tchewa and Ibe (at least huge for him).

Sorry to be Negative Nancy, but UGA actually scares me more than TN did/does. (See my predictions earlier this season on a W vs. UT). Let’s go ‘Cocks! Need this one BADLY!

The team seems to be buying into the disrespect motivation of not being ranked. Hopefully they will keep that rolling into GA and want to revenge the loss on their home court.

We are unbeaten since the UGA loss at the CLA.

Lamont was conservative with his subbing in the first game, but he's more confident with subs now and the players have also improved.

UGA probably has improved as well. Should be a great game.

Here are the numbers going into Saturday's game:

USC Regular Season (2-1-2024) (21 Games Played) (18-3 Overall Record)

PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSC
FGA12091178310029570.4930.4560.037
OR244196
TO221217
FTA403370
Points Scored15271348
Pts Scored/Game7364

UGA Regular Season (2-1-2024) (21 Games Played) (14-7 Overall Record)

PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsUGAOpponentsUGAOpponentsUGAOpponentsUGA
FGA12441315371331270.4370.495-0.058
OR219248
TO246260
FTA514379
Points Scored16221548
Pts Scored/Game7774

We have a possession margin efficiency advantage of (-.021).

We have 613 less possessions than UGA because our defense is very effective at slowing our games down. UGA's opponents have out-rebounded them on the offensive glass 1315 to 1244.

Our PPG and allowed PPG have remained steady at 73 and 64 for at least a month or more, which means we have been consistent on both ends of the court.

Planet Nerf Projection: USC over UGA 74-64

Funny to see us still being underdogs tomorrow. Hope we beat them really good and make them "pay the price" some more.

We lost to them the first time because we couldn't shoot FT's and the refs made it a FT shooting contest, 32 FT's per team... unless Coach White has get the refs to call a stupid amount of fouls in his coaching chess set I don't see how he out coached anyone! To put that in perspective the most FT's shot in our games since that is 38 combined...
Josh Gray only played 3 minutes in the first contest and it was CMB's 2nd game getting 20 plus minutes, he got 22 with Gray getting 12+ now...
We missed 20 of 26 three point attempts in the first game and I don't think we see that again with Mack, Gray and CMB giving us a post presence for an inside out game... With the earlier loss the chip on the shoulder should still be motivation...

We lost to them the first time because we couldn't shoot FT's and the refs made it a FT shooting contest, 32 FT's per team... unless Coach White has get the refs to call a stupid amount of fouls in his coaching chess set I don't see how he out coached anyone! To put that in perspective the most FT's shot in our games since that is 38 combined...
Josh Gray only played 3 minutes in the first contest and it was CMB's 2nd game getting 20 plus minutes, he got 22 with Gray getting 12+ now...
We missed 20 of 26 three point attempts in the first game and I don't think we see that again with Mack, Gray and CMB giving us a post presence for an inside out game... With the earlier loss the chip on the shoulder should still be motivation...
I’m going to have to differ with your opinion, but you’re certainly welcome to hold yours. I’m of the STRONG opinion that FT shooting, in large part is a coaching choice. If you don’t think that Mike White saw we couldn’t buy a bucket from behind the arc and that we were shooting less than 50% at the FT line in the 2nd half, then you might want to try out for a coaching job and see how well you do. Mike White was intentionally fouling our players and was intentionally letting them shoot 3’s, so that he could manage the clock to his advantage. Coach Paris, on the other hand, continued to hope his guys would start making 3s and then didn’t play defensive stoppers like Steven Clark. So rather than force turnovers by good defense and narrowing the lead slowly (getting two points from a turnover rather than throwing up a prayer from 3 - Meechie, I’m looking at you that game), we continued to play right into Mike White’s game plan.
Just watch… UGA is capable of doing EXACTLY the same thing again. They’ve got great ability to shoot and they don’t typically commit large amounts of fouls. That’s how they played vs KY (KY only had 17 FT attempts to UGA’s 35) and vs FL, UGA only allowed 20 attempts. It’s simple math, and if your opponent is not hitting FT’s OR 3’s, you better believe I’m going to foul EVERY chance I get and gamble they can’t make at the line. Heck, Josh Gray was 0-5 at the line that game. You think Mike White wasn’t picking on him while he was in the game?

Both teams have improved since the first game and we are unbeaten with a proven system since then.

I believe the game will be close, but we will prevail with the win.

Gonna be getting the eats together in hybrid tailgating mode around noon.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyNC8wMi83ZGQ0MDg0ZS1wYXJpc2xfc291dGgtY2Fyb2xpbmEtYXQtdGVubmVzc2VlLTIwMjMtMjQtMDg5MS1kYW5ueS1wYXJrZXJfMS5qcGc.png

(Photo courtesy South Carolina Athletics)

Gamecocks started out 0-5 from 3-pt. shooting, but have since gone a torrid 5-7 from behind the arc, and are shooting 57% overall. Trouble is, UGA has also gone red hot shooting in the same time, so the Gamecocks haven't been able to claim the lead. They trail UGA 40-38 with 1:16 to play in the 1st half......

I’m going to have to differ with your opinion, but you’re certainly welcome to hold yours. I’m of the STRONG opinion that FT shooting, in large part is a coaching choice. If you don’t think that Mike White saw we couldn’t buy a bucket from behind the arc and that we were shooting less than 50% at the FT line in the 2nd half, then you might want to try out for a coaching job and see how well you do. Mike White was intentionally fouling our players and was intentionally letting them shoot 3’s, so that he could manage the clock to his advantage. Coach Paris, on the other hand, continued to hope his guys would start making 3s and then didn’t play defensive stoppers like Steven Clark. So rather than force turnovers by good defense and narrowing the lead slowly (getting two points from a turnover rather than throwing up a prayer from 3 - Meechie, I’m looking at you that game), we continued to play right into Mike White’s game plan.
Just watch… UGA is capable of doing EXACTLY the same thing again. They’ve got great ability to shoot and they don’t typically commit large amounts of fouls. That’s how they played vs KY (KY only had 17 FT attempts to UGA’s 35) and vs FL, UGA only allowed 20 attempts. It’s simple math, and if your opponent is not hitting FT’s OR 3’s, you better believe I’m going to foul EVERY chance I get and gamble they can’t make at the line. Heck, Josh Gray was 0-5 at the line that game. You think Mike White wasn’t picking on him while he was in the game?
Josh Gray played 3 minutes lol so he told his team to let Gray get the offensive rebound and foul him while he is shooting don’tworry about the and one... great coaching 👏 He told them 🙄 Johnson would flagrant foul to not worry the refs will keep us in the game... Paris went with what got us back in the game, had us the lead and then we couldn't by a bucket, couldn't hit a FT as both teams went scoreless for 3+ minutes. After georgia regained the lead we didn't take advantage of the flagrant foul on them to stretch the lead to 8 and CMB can't hit FT's and is called for a bad offensive foul... great coaching did that? They are up by 2 with 5 minutes to play and shoot 16 FT's and made 2 shots to keep the lead, that was great coaching and you think not having a defensive stopper in the game was the issue...

Last edited:
4 FT's combined in the 1st half... only 8 whistles the entire half, they are letting them play today!

Georgia took 5 more 3 pointers in the 1st half than they took the entire game in Columbia

We've out-rebounded UGA 10-5 in the 2nd half, and out-shot them 6-12 (.500) to their 4-13 (.308). But UGA is 5-5 at the FT line compared to USC being 0-0. Score tied 51-51 at the 11:20 mark.....

GREAT SEC ROAD WIN FOR THE GAMECOCKS! They defeat Georgia 72-62 to improve to 19-3, 7-2 in league play. Josh Gray and Collin Murray-Boyles had great games for USC: Gray scored 15 pts on 7-9 shooting, with 8 rebounds, and CMB added a team-leading 16 pts also on 7-9 shooting, with 5 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals. Meechie Johnson chipped in with 11 pts on 4-8 shooting, 3-5 behind the arc, with 4 boards and 3 assists, and Ta'Lon Cooper added 10 pts on 3-6 shooting - also 3-4 from the three - with 8 assists and 3 rebounds.

The Gamecocks held the Bulldogs to shooting 7-24 (.292) from the field for the 2nd half, plus 1-10 (.100) from behind the arc. The Gamecocks had 25 assists for the game to only 9 turnovers.....

This might be the first game we didn't have a blocked shot, Gray played 18 minutes with one turnover, had 15pts and 8 boards