Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lincoln Riley talks Shane Beamer

GF Staff

GCF Staff
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Lincoln Riley talks Shane Beamer

11/24/2020

As the South Carolina Gamecocks head coaching search heats up to replace Will Muschamp, one name that has gained some momentum is Oklahoma Sooners assistant head coach Shane Beamer. The son of long-time head coach Frank Beamer, Shane Beamer previously coached at South Carolina from 2007-2008 as the cornerbacks coach.

Beamer has been at Oklahoma since 2018. He also serves as the team’s tight ends coach.

During Monday’s Big 12 teleconference, Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley was asked if Beamer’s name being floated as a potential candidate for the South Carolina job has been a distraction.

“It won’t be a distraction because we’ve got guys in here that are professionals and care about this place, care about this team,” Riley said. “From a professionalism standpoint, I’ve got no concerns about that. I think Shane’s going to be a really good head coach. I do. He’s had great experience being able to work for several different guys and several different programs, different parts of the country and obviously, he’s got very inside knowledge from one of the best to ever do it in his dad, Frank Beamer. Shane’s got a good way about him, does a great job with the kids and has been fantastic. I’ll be excited for him. He’s one of those guys that, I think, certainly will get his opportunity at some point. Obviously, we love having him here and will certainly be excited for him and any of our other coaches when they get that chance to be a head coach, because those just don’t come around very often.”

After South Carolina’s 59-42 loss to Ole Miss two weekends ago, the program fired head coach Will Muschamp after four and a half seasons. Muschamp finished his time in Columbia with a 28-30 record.

At South Carolina, Beamer coordinated the special teams and coached outside linebackers, and in his final two years served as recruiting coordinator. He was nominated for the 2009 Frank Broyles Award, which goes to the assistant coach of the year. His special teams units recorded five blocked kicks that season, tying for the SEC lead and tying for the eighth-highest total in the nation. He also helped coach a defensive unit that ranked third in the SEC and 15th in the country in total defense, and second in the league and eighth in the country in passing defense.

Beamer joined the South Carolina staff in 2007, coaching outside linebackers and serving as special teams co-coordinator in his first season. He worked with the cornerbacks in his second campaign, helping the defense finish the regular season ranked second in the nation in pass defense and 13th in total defense. Beamer’s first class as South Carolina’s recruiting coordinator (2009) was ranked as the nation’s 14th-best by the 247Sports Composite. That class featured fellow star Gamecocks Stephon Gilmore, Alshon Jeffery and D.J. Swearinger. A year later the Gamecocks signed Marcus Lattimore and Connor Shaw.

I like Beamer, but the scary part is that he doe not have H.C. experience, with that said it's like do you roll the dice and say o.k. or do you go with the guy at Costal Carolina,  the noise on Napier is that he does not won't to be here if Tanner is gone.  I think it will come down to who they can get  really cheap and work with them on moving their salary up as they win more .  Remember when Tanner said Riley was too young what was in the water he was drinking ?  Look Beamer, Napier or Jamey, just go make the call,  I really think the dark horse is Jamey at Costal sing him to and 2 year deal and let's see what happens the worst he could go 0-22 like Holtz did .  I think you have to get someone in place you just lost another 4 star commit today.

I like Beamer, but the scary part is that he doe not have H.C. experience, with that said it's like do you roll the dice and say o.k. or do you go with the guy at Costal Carolina,  the noise on Napier is that he does not won't to be here if Tanner is gone.  I think it will come down to who they can get  really cheap and work with them on moving their salary up as they win more .  Remember when Tanner said Riley was too young what was in the water he was drinking ?  Look Beamer, Napier or Jamey, just go make the call,  I really think the dark horse is Jamey at Costal sing him to and 2 year deal and let's see what happens the worst he could go 0-22 like Holtz did .  I think you have to get someone in place you just lost another 4 star commit today.
Holtz didn't go 0-22

Truth. To be fair to Lou, the team went 1-10 the year BEFORE he got here, then went 0-11 his first year. then 8-4 the next with the first Outback Bowl win.
Scott decimated that team. Holtz had the largest one season turn around in history.