Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll Lamont Paris is set to become the new men's basketball coach at SC. What's your reaction to the hire?

Poll

What's your reaction to the hire?

• Should have hired McKie.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Will fail miserably.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have concerns, but OK with the hire.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • He'll be great.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Lamont Paris is set to become the new men's basketball coach at SC. What's your reaction to the hire?

Not my first choice but he seems OK. He's here so I'm going to fully support him until I have a reason(s) not to.

This is probably as good as we should expect from Tanner,based on the history of the program. As fans we should start lowering our expectations when it comes to coaches we can actually get vs what we want. I’m not against the hire but it does little if anything to bring excitement. Hopefully he’s a great recruiter and that translates to UofSC.

This is probably as good as we should expect from Tanner,based on the history of the program. As fans we should start lowering our expectations when it comes to coaches we can actually get vs what we want. I’m not against the hire but it does little if anything to bring excitement. Hopefully he’s a great recruiter and that translates to UofSC.
I feel like I did with Beamer. I wasn’t thrilled when I first heard he was being considered, but after looking at his experience and seeing where he’s been, I think it’s good. Unlike Beamer, he has head coaching experience and his team improved every year.

I'm a little surprised. After hearing all of the rumors about initial choices that fell through, I thought Tanner might follow the same path he followed with the Beamer hire. Hire a "Carolina" guy, that had support from a vocal group of former players. That worked really well for him with Beamer.

As I said in another thread, I'm a little underwhelmed with the hire. That doesn't necessarily mean I think he will fail. I do wonder how well he will recruit as a P5 head coach. Also wonder what kind of staff he will put together. That said, I'm in the Have concerns, but ok with the hire crowd.

I am not impressed. If we are going to experiment, why not hire BJ. This hiring is right in line with the rest of the job Ray has done. The baseball team SUX. TIME FOR WHOLESALE CHANG.

Don't know enough about him either way but obviously it's not a big news type of hire like a Fogler, Odom, or Martin hire who had substantial successes with P5 programs prior to coming to Columbia. Paris is a younger coach, and he's black so perhaps that may help with attracting some of the better in-state talent to try our program, I don't know. But our program isn't in a good healthy place, and hasn't been for a good while, so there weren't going to be top-shelf candidates out there looking to come here.....

I think he is an "under the radar" good hire. I'm not a basketball guy, but looking at his experience, he's been at successful places, and he has done well as a Head Coach. He inherited a decimated team in Chattanooga, and built them into a tournament team. He seems like a basketball version of Beamer, to me.