Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about the baseball team?

AikenGameFan

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
Currently we have a No. 11 RPI and No. 4 SOS. We have played so many highly ranked teams this year it feels like everyone we played has been ranked. It is great to be 29-14. It is great to be ranked #15 or there-abouts depending on which rank you use.

There were some times, I felt really good, other times I was thinking we were really hurting.
Sometimes our bats are on fire. Sometimes they just Strike Out way too much.
Sometimes our pitching looks impossible to hit against. Other times they put the ball right down the middle and give up hits like crazy.

It was great to sweep Vandy but against ALA. and A&M we were not so good. Then against FL we came back alive. They played hard against #2 ARK but lost that series only to have a great series against UK. ETSU could be a trap game, we will find out tonight.
I really think if they can win the series against Mizzou and UGA, that might give them the right mindset going to play at UT.

The most important thing right now seems to be we get enough wins to host a Regional and go from there.

Hopefully we end up playing our best baseball in May and beyond.

Happy with the win total and the fact that the coaches have been working to get the best lineup in the game from an offensive standpoint. Pitching is mostly solid and often good enough to win every series. I don't know if I have ever seen a team that strikes out or walks as much as this one though. Agree with @kingofnerf , the plan has to be win enough to host then see if we can get hot.

I honestly don't know what to think. We seem to be capable of beating anyone and capable of losing to anyone. It seems like every time we seem to be putting it together we stumble.

Every time I think we're headed for a slump we go on a tear. I just don't know at this point.

I honestly don't know what to think. We seem to be capable of beating anyone and capable of losing to anyone. It seems like every time we seem to be putting it together we stumble.

Every time I think we're headed for a slump we go on a tear. I just don't know at this point.
Sounds like we think alike for two guys that don't "know what to think".

All I can say is WOW. The hitting has gotten so much better from all the players.
Two 10-run rule 7 inning games in a row. 44 runs in the last 4 games with 37 left on base. Feels like several Innings ended with bases loaded yet they still went 3-1 in that stretch.
How long can they keep hitting like this?
Last night ETSU started the game with 2 runs in the top of the 1st. We get up to bat and Brinling walks. Well up comes Petry and just like so many other games he hits a HR to tie it up that fast. After 2 more runs, McCoy goes back out and gets them out 1,2,3.
After that we used a different pitcher every inning. I think that is great planning to get them all playing time.
I think we have one of the best ball teams in the country. They have proven they can play ball even against the best.

I just hope they keep that fire going for a couple more months. I would love to see them playing June 22 in Omaha.

Attachments

• NCAA World Series Bracket.png
    NCAA World Series Bracket.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
We went 14-9 in a stretch that included series with the #3, #16, #3, #2, #24, and #4 teams in the country with a midweek game against the #13 team in the country...
I'd say we are battle tested and ready for WAR!

Great game tonight against Mizzou and the pitching staff stayed consistent even with all the changes.

That ugly team was back out there today. The Defensive moves cost us. The SO's were excessive against pitches they should have left alone.

In the rubber game of the series today, Missouri jumped on us 4-1 after 2 innings, then both teams meandered through the next 4 innings until the 7th with the score still 4-1 Missouri. The Gamecock pitching tightened up first after the bullpen came in, holding the Tigers to just one single hit for safety - a single - after the 2nd, then the Gamecock bats finally joined in to score 6 runs with 3 each in the 7th and 8th innings to jump out 7-4. In the bottom 8th, Mizzou is still batting with 2 outs and a man on 1st from their first safe-hit single since that earlier single, but now we're frozen in time with a rain delay........

I am glad it was just that one off day Saturday. Going down 4-1 had me worried we were still in that slump and then they came back alive.
When this team gets the bats fired up, they can beat anyone. Hoping we play as good against UGA.

Matt Williams reminds of how MLB pitching used to be back in the 1990s and early 2000s when the Braves were still worth watching on TV.

At some point in a lot of the games, managers would bring in pitchers for a single batter and it was a chess game on both sides until the end of the game. The Braves had Glavine and Maddux back then and there was no room for error for most opposing teams at the plate.

I wish we had more consistency out of our starting pitchers, but Williams seems to find enough good relievers to fill the gap.

Good result this weekend, now we need to handle business against Winthrop and UGA next weekend. Luckily we get the Bulldogs at home, they are a much better team in Athens than on the road.