Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** HoF Classic USC (0-1) @ Tulsa (0-1) Game Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Consolation game @ Tulsa in Hall of Fame Classic.

Tip-off: 1:00 pm

TV: ESPN2

Radio: 107.5 The Game

Gamecocks finally getting some defensive pressure on their opponent, who is falling behind in the score and may start forcing some shots......57-51 Gamecocks with 6 minutes left to play.....

Now 62-51. Tulsa has missed their last 12 shot attempts.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamecocks win 69-58, for their first win of the 2020-21 season! Couisnard led the team with 20 pts, and Lawson scored 17. Minaya almost had a double-double with 11 pts and 9 rebounds....
We never really filled the vacuum left by Justin last year.

Lawson is in that 6th-man window that Duane Notice was when PJ put him on the bench if he doesn't get better this season.

Much better today, but sometimes it comes down to this: Liberty hit their shots, especially their threes, while Tulsa had an abysmal shooting day. Some of it was better D, but it was mosly just missing open shots.

South Carolina is never going to be a great offensive team, but Frank wins with D and rebounding. Both were better today, and we will get better on D as the season goes on.
On cue, we also opted for mid-range jumpers that we couldn't hit rather than drive in the paint.

We didn't get used up on back-door cuts, either.  That's pretty good this early in the season.

Liberty is getting schooled by TCU - they are getting open threes, but are playing their fourth game in five days - all of the shots are hitting the front of the rim.

You can do a lot of analysis, but a lot of times it simply comes down to who is hitting their threes. TCU appears a little fresher and they are making their open threes.
Frank's strategy is vulnerable to two or more guys that can hit 3s in a game.  We always lose those.

True dat, but his best teams were REALLY good at defending the threes.

His defense takes a little longer to teach, but they will get there - we have good length on the perimeter, which is a key to defending threes.
I found Frank's post-game comments yesterday rather telling... he indicated that he was having difficulty with certain players because he was trying to run a package that they practiced LAST year.  He said that not all of this year's players (including Seventh) had learned that package... and that the problem was on HIM, not on them.

We're going to be a good team this year.  We'll be better against Houston than we were against either Liberty or Tulsa.  What you're seeing thus far is some VERY experienced coaching minds going up against one another, and all of the teams have some great players.  I think we'll keep things much closer vs. Houston than most think we will.  Houston returns the 4 guys who are averaging double figures thus far on the season (Sasser, Grimes, Mark, & Mills).  But we match up to them, size-wise, quite well.  We've got the speed players, and we have the beef in the middle to go against them well.  I think the key will be getting consistent play from Keyshawn and getting inside-out work from Frink/Leveque and AJ.  If we can start forcing the ball inside and making Houston collapse on our bigs in the interior, we'll do just fine.  Watch for big games from both Bryant and Seventh Woods, as they will be our "wild cards" against Houston (where Houston doesn't match up well).

True dat, but his best teams were REALLY good at defending the threes.

His defense takes a little longer to teach, but they will get there - we have good length on the perimeter, which is a key to defending threes.
Agree.

It's fun to watch opposing teams start clanking 3-pt attempts with 10 minutes left in the game.

They have multiple quick twitch bigs, we have one, Keyshawn.

But I do like both Seventh and Trae in this one. Seventh seemed unstoppable against Liberty when he penetrated the lane and shot a little fadeaway - that needs to be a staple of the offense. And Trae has the perfect quickness, hops and strength to compete with Houston.

If we are even competitive against them, it will be a nice step up from last year. And you learn more/faster by playing the best teams.
Personally, I'm going to have to wait and see how Hannibal looks against Houston.  Thus far, in our two games this season, his Assist/TO ratio is in the negative and he's behind Seventh in minutes on the court.  His shot selection has seemed ok thus far though, and defensive presence is good.  I think until Trae figures out how to play Frank Martin-style offense, he's going to see limited minutes... He's still seemingly driving Frank crazy with the way he plays out of control at times.  But you COULD be right.  (And for the Gamecock's sake, let us hope that you are!!).

I certainly won't disagree with your "strength" comment re: Trae - you run into him, you're almost literally hitting a brick wall.

One other person I didn't mention earlier, who could impact things dramatically is Minaya.  If Justin gets his offense in rhythm, we could be in for a fun game.