Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing a garden

AikenGameFan

GCF VIP Member
Fanatics Cash
Any of you guys have gardens?
When I was a teenager, my dad always made me help in the garden. I hated it. He had spent 35 years in the army and he treated my brother and I like recruits.
His garden was almost 2 acres and it took a lot of work.
About 35 years later, 10 years ago, long after my dad passed, I decided to try a garden.
My first couple years some things grew great, some didn't. I have never had luck with corn or watermelons, but I can grow tomatoes, squash, and zucchini like crazy.
About 4 years ago I guit the garden. Last year I decided I would try again but the weeds ate me up. My green beans did not work out so well. I think trying to pull up the weeds hurt them.
This year I tilled a whole lot more. I got 4 rows, 200 seeds, of green beans planted and I have been staying on top of the weeds. It has been 10 days. Hopefully in the next couple days I will see green beans growing. Everything else I just got a couple plants of each. Zucchini, squash, tomatoes, bell peppers, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers I went with 2 of each. I even planted 2 watermelon plants just to see.
If any of you are gardeners, I would love some one to chat with.

We have a small one. Mostly planters with tomatoes, bell pepper, tyme, basil and oregano. Just finished up with some broccoli that turned out pretty good.

We also have 3 blueberry bushes and 4 plum trees. We're currently trying to get a lemon tree to grow but it may be a little too cold here for that.

We have a small one. Mostly planters with tomatoes, bell pepper, tyme, basil and oregano. Just finished up with some broccoli that turned out pretty good.

We also have 3 blueberry bushes and 4 plum trees. We're currently trying to get a lemon tree to grow but it may be a little too cold here for that.
I have my tomatoes and bell peppers in big pots that are about 30" wide and 20" deep. Used them for that last year and they did good.
And I have 2 old bathtubs that I filled with soil to plant 2 squash in one and 2 zucchini in the other. Not sure if that is going to work out or not. Last year I used them for carrots. Before that my wife had flowers in them.
Out in my Garden I have the spaghetti squash and watermelons because they both take a lot of space when they grow.

I did one other thing my wife suggested last year. I planted a bunch of Marigold's out there. She said they attract bees.

I have my tomatoes and bell peppers in big pots that are about 30" wide and 20" deep. Used them for that last year and they did good.
And I have 2 old bathtubs that I filled with soil to plant 2 squash in one and 2 zucchini in the other. Not sure if that is going to work out or not. Last year I used them for carrots. Before that my wife had flowers in them.
Out in my Garden I have the spaghetti squash and watermelons because they both take a lot of space when they grow.

I did one other thing my wife suggested last year. I planted a bunch of Marigold's out there. She said they attract bees.
We planted some watermelons last year after we finally got a decent tasting one. We planted five and 3 of them turned out good and sweet, 2 didn't make it.

We went into one of those Wal-Mart grocery store only places yesterday and they had watermelons for 9 bucks. We didn't want to pay that much for one especially if it wasn't good. I hate buying a watermelon, getting it home and cutting it and it sucks.

$9.00 for a watermelon, wtf? What happened to the $1.69 watermelons? Now I haven't bought a whole watermelon in a couple of years -- usually just buying some small, chunked (overpriced) sections from the produce prep areas, but somehow I missed that price jump on 'melons.

$9.00 for a watermelon, wtf? What happened to the $1.69 watermelons? Now I haven't bought a whole watermelon in a couple of years -- usually just buying some small, chunked (overpriced) sections from the produce prep areas, but somehow I missed that price jump on 'melons.
I wanna say we were paying 7 bucks last year. Watermelon is Mrs B's favorite fruit and it's painful to pay that much for one and it sucks. A lot of them just don't seem to have much taste any more.

I tried many years ago but had too much shade to grow much. I switches to help the community garden at our neighborhood pool several years ago. Had all kinds of stuff growing there. tomatoes, peppers, squash, pumpkins, beans, potatoes, etc.

Last year the neighbors to the south of us cut most of their trees, so we get way more sunlight now. I am going to plant a few things this weekend to see if they do any better. And then I'll expand next year if successful.

I wanna say we were paying 7 bucks last year. Watermelon is Mrs B's favorite fruit and it's painful to pay that much for one and it sucks. A lot of them just don't seem to have much taste any more.

I feel like the politician who doesn't have any idea what the price of a gallon of milk is. $9.00 still blows my mind.

I feel like the politician who doesn't have any idea what the price of a gallon of milk is. $9.00 still blows my mind.
It’s not watermelon season yet. Fruit is always more expensive when has to be trucked in from far away. I’m sure watermelon prices will go down in the heat of summer.

My neighbor has a fence because of all the deer out here. We're at the edge of the city limits and a bunch come out of the woods at night every week, hot or cold season, it matters not.

It’s not watermelon season yet. Fruit is always more expensive when has to be trucked in from far away. I’m sure watermelon prices will go down in the heat of summer.
Yep, good point.

I guess it's finally time for some watermelon revenge...after all those years of getting thumped to determine ripeness, I guess watermelons have finally decided to thump back.