Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding the truth about the Gamecock's offense and separating what's not going to happen

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Finding the truth about the Gamecock's offense and separating what's not going to happen
Sept. 20, 2022

The Gamecocks had what you would call a listless afternoon topping off with fans exiting the stands before halftime. Question begs. How much of that was self-induced? Was it Georgia just being Georgia? Let’s separate finding the truth about the offense and what is not going to happen. (READ MORE)

I think it was a team loss and we need to improve across the board.

Not any one particular group or player. Very little margin for error in the remaining conference games, though.

I believe the team will be better by the UK game and we'll be able to finally watch some great Gamecock football again later in the season.

I think it was a team loss and we need to improve across the board.

Not any one particular group or player. Very little margin for error in the remaining conference games, though.

I believe the team will be better by the UK game and we'll be able to finally watch some great Gamecock football again later in the season.
The problem is not all of it but Eye of the Tiger. What I mean here is that this team is not mentally Tuff here. Needing to go out and believe has nothing to do about the strength coach having to do with between the ears. Got get out there a punch somebody in the mouth starts with defense and running attack, not air rade. Hopefully, someone can get in there between the ears and make them believe in each other to do it as a team.

Back-up QB is always better theme when things go astray: Right now Luke Doty doesn’t give South Carolina its highest upside at quarterback right now. That’s no knock on Doty, who Shane Beamer said performed well during mop-up duty Saturday. However, if the Gamecocks’ offense is going to punch above its weight this fall, it’s going to do so with Spencer Rattler at its helm. I spelled out a good chunk of this after the game, but it’s worth reiterating.

Rattler has had his moments of late. His first interception on a wheel route to Juju McDowell on Saturday was egregious. His five total interceptions are the most among the 16 Southeastern Conference quarterbacks averaging 15 or more throws per contest. That’s bad. The good? South Carolina has been vastly more explosive with Rattler at the helm this fall. The Gamecocks had just 16 passing plays of 30 or more yards a season ago. South Carolina already has seven such plays this year and, assuming it keeps on that pace, would finish with 28 on the year a nearly 75% uptick from last fall and what would be the for a USC offense since at least 2012.

South Carolina has been a bit boom or bust offensively this year. Its 27.03% third-down conversion rate ranks last in the SEC and 123rd of 131 FBS teams. The Gamecocks, and Rattler, need to be more efficient in stringing together drives. Doty figures to be the future at quarterback. Frankly, I’d be shocked if he’s not the starter heading into the 2023 season. That said, Rattler has brought an explosive dynamic to this offense that it hasn’t had in a decade or more. You’ll take some of the mistakes if he continues to make the “wow” throws that tend to come with them.