Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denver, we've got a problem.....

JimG

GCF Top Poster
Fanatics Cash
United-airlines-fire.jpg

np_file_70888.jpeg

I don't think planes can sit up for a while without something breaking, just like cars.

In the back of my mind, I am worried there will be a few mishaps like this as the economy ramps back up and the planes start flying again.

They need to switch out the P&W engines for the more reliable GE or RR ones. I've made multiple trips over the Pond on British Airways RR powered 777s without incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully no one was hurt.  Some of the debris landed a few miles from my house.  Very strange to see stuff falling from the sky.

They need to switch out the P&W engines for the more reliable GE or RR ones. I've made multiple trips over the Pond on British Airways RR powered  without incident.77s.
Likely. Looks like a fan blade failure. Glad it didn't penetrate the cabin. It sure made a mess of the rest of the engine. 

safe_image.php_.jpeg

Another large piece of the engine landed on someone's truck and then front lawn.  Just missed his house.  I think it was the circular housing from the front of the engine that blew off.

Crazy stuff. Glad the plane got back safely and no major incidents on the ground. I bet the people on board were freaking the F out.

I can only imagine. One time I was leaving Reno,NV and it was a little bumpy but not too extraordinary. Then it cleared out. The pilot came over the intercom "ladies & gentlemen we are above the clouds and its beautiful and clear and smooth sailing all the way to [I can't remember]. The flight attendants will start serving now and feel free to move about the cabin" 

No more than 2 mins after that, the worst event I've ever seen on an airplane. A HUGE I mean huge drop and a loud whirling sound. The flight attendant pushing her cart fell over! There was screaming. I was terrified.
I made a few ski trips out around Lake Tahoe in my younger years. The view taking off from Reno as we climbed and could see Lake Tahoe was spectacular. To bad my camera was packed away.

I’ve done a lot of flying for work. Flown for almost 8 years straight. Never did I have anything like that. Worst was either the turbulence over the Rockies on a flight from Vail to Denver on a prop plane or taking off during a tornado warning in DesMoines. Some white knuckles on those, but I may have lost my bowels if I saw an engine like that, and I’m not a nervous flyer. 

I remember the concerns voiced some years ago over Boeing's replacement for the 747 for not having the redundancy of four engines in terms of transoceanic flights.

Not sure how this plane would have faired over the Pacific between CONUS and it's destination of Honolulu if the engine had failed past the point of no return distance-wise.

Last edited by a moderator: