Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Coaching search update for December 1st)

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
(Coaching search update for December 1st)

We’re looking for the search to come to a head this weekend. Going into the week sources told us Ray Tanner plans to meet in person with Steve Sarkisian, Brian Johnson, Scott Satterfield and Billy Napier. Satterfield is the only one who doesn’t have a game this week. It looks like Napier will get the final interview. His Louisiana team is playing at Appalachian State Friday night, and a source said Monday Napier would not meet with Tanner any earlier than Saturday. The two already have conducted a phone interview. Napier does not plan to hang around the Carolinas after the game, so the meeting could take place in Louisiana, or perhaps in the Atlanta area were some interviews last week were held.. Tanner is eying the weekend to complete his interviews so that he can present his choice to the university president and the board chairman, so it stands to reason Napier will be the last candidate to meet with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope his interview with Billy is not just checking a box.

200.gif

Some seem to feel that way. But I feel  that this search will end soon by the weekend. Longer the wait the less it is Beamer.

Hope his interview with Billy is not just checking a box.

He may get the coveted last interview ... good news for him if so. I am interested to see the impact of the Sarkisian interview on the search, if it happens.

Hard to see Sark for the same reason that Freeze was iffy - Caslen and Ray are straight arrows and they will balk at character flaws, which both coaches have shown in the past.
I think this is a *different* kind of character flaw, though ... hookers 'r' us is one thing; a man struggling to make peace with himself and learn to ride the pressure of such a big business is a different animal IMO. People intrinsically root for a guy to be able to overcome the second and have a hard time forgetting the first? 

I think this is a *different* kind of character flaw, though ... hookers 'r' us is one thing; a man struggling to make peace with himself and learn to ride the pressure of such a big business is a different animal IMO. People intrinsically root for a guy to be able to overcome the second and have a hard time forgetting the first? 
I personally do not believe the hookers he had called on his work phone, multiple times I might add, were for him.  There were rumors of them using hookers or hos for recruits before he had his phone checked.

I personally do not believe the hookers he had called on his work phone, multiple times I might add, were for him.  There were rumors of them using hookers or hos for recruits before he had his phone checked.
He basically admitted they were in as many words when he said he hadn't been honoring his wife.

But all things considered, reading the tea leaves and who is getting the last interview, my gut says it will be Napier in the end. I have no insider info, just viewing it all from 50,000 feet like everyone else.

He basically admitted they were in as many words when he said he hadn't been honoring his wife.
You do realize that him saying they were for him, basically, takes away any more wrongdoings by the school that they already had been caught doing.  It becomes something "between him and his wife" and not the program.

But all things considered, reading the tea leaves and who is getting the last interview, my gut says it will be Napier in the end. I have no insider info, just viewing it all from 50,000 feet like everyone else.
It won't be Chadwell.  That CC AD has been crushing it for them lately.  I'm sure Tanner doesn't want to make him look any better than he has to.

You do realize that him saying they were for him, basically, takes away any more wrongdoings by the school that they already had been caught doing.  It becomes something "between him and his wife" and not the program.

Sure, I get that. I just don't buy the "they weren't for him" logic, and that the SEC would not be so rabidly against him returning if he had taken one for the team for his players and the program if that was the case. We can agree to disagree on that - and for the record, I'd hire him if he was the best candidate, it wouldn't deter me if I thought he was the guy and was ready to move on and had learned from that whole episode.

So I ventured over to one of those pay sites a few minutes ago to glean any additional info on the coaching search and more or less the same info we have over here.  I am cutting and pasting the following post of a Dawg fan that makes complete sense to me and kind of my sentiments although not quite as negative about Beamer, but do agree, Napier should be the guy:

Napier would be a homerun for USC. As a UGA fan, he would be the coach I would fear the most that you have a reasonable shot at hiring. He is a relentless recruiter and a solid offensive coach. His teams play tough and are not scared against more talented opponents.Honestly, I don’t understand the support Shane Beamer has for the job. The comparisons to Dabo are laughable. The fact that Dabo has never been a coordinator is the exception, not the rule. Dabo did not win at a high level until Venables came aboard along with an incredible QB in Watson. Venables is unique in that he is happy being a coordinator. Most Coordinators have ambitions to become head coaches which makes it hard to keep them. Saban is the only coach I know of that can replace coordinators every year without skipping a beat. That’s why I don’t think the CEO concept works. Beamer was not known for his work ethic during his short stay on Kirby’s staff. He reminds me more of Ray Goff than Dabo.Regardless who you hire, you would do well to keep Bobo as your OC. Richt was very casual about discipline and details, and Bobo deserves a ton of credit for making sure things got done correctly. Bobo is also a strong positive culture influence despite the few accusations of malcontents at CSU. Most UGA fans would love to have him back in some capacity which may be possible with McGarrity stepping down. (Bobo hates McGarrity for good reason) .I don’t think Freeze, Campbell, or Sarkisian would be interested at all. I would take a chance on Chadwell before Beamer. Good luck on the conclusion of your search.

So I ventured over to one of those pay sites a few minutes ago to glean any additional info on the coaching search and more or less the same info we have over here.  I am cutting and pasting the following post of a Dawg fan that makes complete sense to me and kind of my sentiments although not quite as negative about Beamer, but do agree, Napier should be the guy:

Napier would be a homerun for USC. As a UGA fan, he would be the coach I would fear the most that you have a reasonable shot at hiring. He is a relentless recruiter and a solid offensive coach. His teams play tough and are not scared against more talented opponents.Honestly, I don’t understand the support Shane Beamer has for the job. The comparisons to Dabo are laughable. The fact that Dabo has never been a coordinator is the exception, not the rule. Dabo did not win at a high level until Venables came aboard along with an incredible QB in Watson. Venables is unique in that he is happy being a coordinator. Most Coordinators have ambitions to become head coaches which makes it hard to keep them. Saban is the only coach I know of that can replace coordinators every year without skipping a beat. That’s why I don’t think the CEO concept works. Beamer was not known for his work ethic during his short stay on Kirby’s staff. He reminds me more of Ray Goff than Dabo.Regardless who you hire, you would do well to keep Bobo as your OC. Richt was very casual about discipline and details, and Bobo deserves a ton of credit for making sure things got done correctly. Bobo is also a strong positive culture influence despite the few accusations of malcontents at CSU. Most UGA fans would love to have him back in some capacity which may be possible with McGarrity stepping down. (Bobo hates McGarrity for good reason) .I don’t think Freeze, Campbell, or Sarkisian would be interested at all. I would take a chance on Chadwell before Beamer. Good luck on the conclusion of your search.
It's interesting what folks from outside who can view it all without spin see. This guy is spot on, especially his "bbbbut Dabo" logic.

Either way, it is a character issue.

I do not think he was hiring the prostitutes for clerical work. So he either cheats at recruiting - which means he might not be that good of a recruiter - or he cheats on his wife.
I don't disagree.  But to me it's less of a character issue if he hires them for single dudes just looking for a good time.  And yes it is cheating and I wasn't "happy" about it when I found out he was cheating for Ole Miss.

The Dabo comparison is laughable.  I don't like the guy, but has made outstanding hires, especially Venables, but also the OC's.  He's relentless recruiter too.