Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cam Scott it's almost decision time

FeatheredCock

“Let It Be”
Staff member
Fanatics Cash
Cam Scott it's almost decision time
August 10, 2023

▪ The four-star prospect will choose between Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas. Scott has taken visits to all the schools except Alabama, which is making a late run at him.

▪ Scott’s last visit was to Oregon in June. After that visit, Oregon assistant Chuck Martin, a former Gamecock assistant, and Scott’s top recruiter, left for a job on John Calipari’s staff at Kentucky. Gamecocks “They are the backyard team and they are right there,” Scott said this summer of the Gamecocks. “It is easily accessible to me and my family. ... It’s one of those things where you have to appreciate the little things they do for you.”

▪ The 6-foot-6, 180-pound Scott averaged 19.2 points, six rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 2.4 steals per game this past season and was named the SC Gatorade Player of the Year. He also set the school’s all-time scoring record, breaking the mark of Shaq Roland, and led the Wildcats to their first state semifinal appearance since 2019.

▪ Scott has had a busy and productive summer. He was co-MVP of the Pangos All-American Camp in Las Vegas this summer where he averaged 24.6 points per game and hit 56.6% of his 3-point attempts. Scott also was invited to Jayson Tatum’s Elite Camp for high school players. Tatum is an All-Star for the Boston Celtics. Scott is one of 20 high school players invited to Portland Trail Blazers guard Damien Lillard’s Formula Zero Elite Camp in Phoenix on Aug. 16-19. WHAT THEY ARE SAYING

▪ The landing spot for Scott that has got the most traction this week is Texas. This week, Rivals recruiting site analysts logged six commitment forecasts for Scott to end up at Texas.

I have no idea what the actual rates are, but in regards to home grown blue chippers, it seems like we are landing, at best, maybe 10%. The last 25 years have been brutal as Columbia influencers have steered talent out of state.

I have no idea what the actual rates are, but in regards to home grown blue chippers, it seems like we are landing, at best, maybe 10%. The last 25 years have been brutal as Columbia influencers have steered talent out of state.
I don’t think this was a case of Columbia influencers. After all, it was reported by both sides that GG and Cam talked about Cam’s visibility and potential in Columbia. Kid just wanted to get away, and TX NIL looks better than SC NIL, unless you’re a GG Jackson or Nick Harbour. But yes, brutal is an understatement.

I think our problem in recent years has been coaching talent as much lack of in-state stand-outs.

It takes both. Great coaches win with what they have. We have also seen great SEC coaches stay put instead of giving the NBA a try as well.

This is by no means complete, but I looked at recruiting for the last 25 years going back to high school class of 2000. 2003-2024 use 247Sports composite ranking and 2000-2002 use ESPN top 100 rankings. There might be some I missed as guys that transfer out of state to play somewhere like Oak Hill aren't always listed as being from South Carolina. Also, ESPN didn't have a full list of 4 star recruits, so there may be some omissions. I tried to account for those I remembered, but may have missed some.

Anyways, for 5 star prospects, we landed 4 of 7 (57%). For 4 and 5 star prospects, we landed 9 of 40 (22.5%)

Paris is 1/1 on 5 stars and 1/4 (25%) for 4 and 5 stars
Martin was 2/4 on 5 stars and 2/17 (11.8%) on 4 and 5 stars
Horn had no 5 stars from SC while here and went 3/8 (37.5%) on 4 and 5 stars
Odom was 0/1 on 5 stars and 2/9 (22.2%) on 4 and 5 stars
Fogler was 1/1 on 5 stars and had no other data for 4 stars

The State had a poll a couple of years ago for who the best state best state high school basketball players:
Alex English (USC)
Ja Morant (Murray State)
Jermaine O'Neal (no college ball)
Khris Middleton (Texas A&M)
Larry Nance (Clemson)
PJ Dozier (USC)
Ray Allen (UConn)
Raymond Felton (UNC)
Stanley Roberts (LSU)
Xavier McDaniel (Witchita State)
Zion Williamson (Duke)
Kevin Garnett (no college ball)

GG Jackson was not on The State's list, however, I think we all know his first choice was UNC. The only reason he ended up as a Gamecock was because he reclassified his graduation date and NC didn't have a roster spot for him last year. This was a recruiting battle SC lost.

If you're talking just high school career, I would think Devan Downey and Rolando Howell would be on that list instead of Ja Morant.

Update your stats because Cam is a Gamecock!! We didn't lose this recruiting battle...
If Coach Paris could some how convince Pringle to transfer to South Carolina we will have another team full of weapons!
CMB and Gray down low will need some help to free CMB up to play more 3 and we need someone to be the true PG like Cooper was last year, Wright and Davis can but...
Pringle would give us a 6'10 spring athlete that can defend, rebound and block shots while also providing a great finisher around the basket and a nice offensive threat!