Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

after 6 practices how do we stack up to last years team?

The offensive line just seems to be better overall. I think while there are some questions at the tackle positions, I like the development of Shell, Gibson and Matilus and what they could be in three weeks. The interior seems very solid with Johnson, Cann and Patrick so overall I think the offensive line is actually better than it was last year at this point.

The running back and tight end depth is certainly much deeper and includes some high quality players. The assortment of options, especially at the tight end is maybe underrated when you consider Anderson and Adams are big time play makers in my opinion and then Justice Cunningham is the type of senior leader who can block and catch that makes good teams great.

Finally and maybe more importantly on offense, I think for once there is true stability under center. There was always excitement and flair with Stephen Garcia but with Connor Shaw it is a very blue-collar, business like approach. You don't go home at night wondering if Shaw will be back the next day at practice and when he meets with the media there are never any questions in regards to his off-season or trying to stay on the right track. There is just a normal array of questions and honestly Shaw is a tight lipped kid that knows how to answer questions and not talk to much. So I think the bottom line is from the top down, the offense is better.

Defense is completely different though with the losses of Ingram, Robertson, Gilmore and Allen. Those were four big time players that had experience and respect of other players. Add in a new more aggressive system and I think the defense is not on the same level as they were this time last year.