Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#11 USC MBB (9-2/21-3) @ #13 AUB (8-3/19-5) Discussion and Predictions Thread

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash
Here's our recent history against Auburn on the road:

YearDateSchoolRankOpponentRankW-LPTSOPP
2015-161/5/2016South Carolina22@AuburnW8169
2017-183/3/2018South Carolina@Auburn14L7079
2019-201/22/2020South Carolina@Auburn16L6780
2021-223/5/2022South Carolina@Auburn5L7182

Either us or the Tigers have always been ranked in recent years. 2015-16 was the year we should have gone to the NCAAT, but were not invited.

Last edited:
I just feel Lamont will have them ready. He has been trying some different looks the last couple games. It will be another tough environment like UT was, but our guys are good at shutting down the noise. We will be chewing or fingers must of the game because Auburn is not going to lay down.
BTW, I love being 12.5 pt underdogs. They still don't respect us. I think they need to "pay the price"

I feel better about this game after the Vandy win because it was looking like a trap game loss in the first half, but Lamont got everybody roped back in for the second half.

Realistically, I think the players wanted to jackhammer Vandy in the first half because they are the worst team in the SEC.

I think the players realize by now they cannot take the same liberties with Auburn on the road out there.

This game will be no different than the Vols game at Rocky Top.

Here are the numbers for the Auburn game.

USC Regular Season (2-12-2024) (24 games played) (21-3 Overall Record)
PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSCOpponentsUSC
FGA13831343339332430.5130.4730.040
OR275222
TO247241
FTA429396
Points Scored17421535
Pts Scored/Game7364

AUB Regular Season (2-12-2024) 24 Games Played) (19-5 Overall Record)

PossessionsPoints Per PossessionPossession Efficiency Margin
StatsAUBOpponentsAUBOpponentsAUBOpponentsAUB
FGA14721406411939620.4800.4070.073
OR290275
TO253323
FTA565528
Points Scored19761611
Pts Scored/Game8267

Auburn has the upper hand in possession efficiency margin of .033, but also a high number of possessions which our defense will bring back to Earth.

Play our system and try to create turnovers. The data suggests it can be done against the Tigers.

Planet Nerf Prediction: Cocks Win 73-64

If I were Auburn, I would drive on Gray and CMB to get them in foul trouble early tonight.

SC had done a really good job the past three weeks in improving their on-ball defense. They are doing a really good job in keeping their bodies between the ball and the basket, primarily by chesting up and not using their hands. Hopefully they continue that level of play tonight if Auburn is going to drive the ball.

South Carolina plays at a slower pace and likes to limit possessions. Pearl talked about how Auburn will handle that.
"We'll try to speed them up when possible," Pearl said. "You just got to understand what they like to do offensively, what's the best way to take away those things defensively and try to lock into a game plan. We don't play defensively the same way every night. We play hard every night."

But we are consistent on defense, which is why we will win.

as we sit here with 7:44 even the 3 guys who showed up didnt have their best games. cmb good numbers and by far our best player all around, 4 turnovers. bj mack did some good things on offense but only 1 rebound. meechie did some good things but still only 5-13.

Lamont's going to see the loss as an anomaly and get the team to keep digging.
Yeah, I think he is right -- it's easier to flush a 40 point loss and move on than a 1 point loss in OT. Now it is up to the team to prove this was a one-off and take care of business against LSU.

The blow-out loss to Bama didn't keep us from getting to #11.

The remainder of the schedule is going to be tough, but that will help us when the wins come.

We got the highest ranking since the 1997-98 season this week and Lamont's name came up for the Ohio St. vacancy. Lots of positive noise or distractions to take away the team's focus.

We are playing great basketball at this point in the season. Just keep on keepin' on and we'll be fine.

Meechie has been struggling for a while on offense, but he seemed to get it back last night.

I think he will have great game against LSU on Saturday and so will the rest of the team.

Auburn had 25 pts off of TOs compared to 8 for us, 39 pts off the bench to 1 for us, and 16 pts off of fast breaks vs. 2 for us.