Gamecock Fanatics

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** #1 USC WBB (5-0/17-0) @ #9 LSU (5-1/18-2) Game Thread ***

kingofnerf

GCF Super Moderator
Fanatics Cash

The LSU Series
The Gamecocks are 18-22 all-time against LSU with a current 14-game win streak against the Tigers. Both teams have been ranked in three games in the last six seasons, all South Carolina wins.

Last season, the Gamecocks posted an 88-64 victory over eventual National Champion LSU on Feb. 12, 2023, in Columbia. Coming off the bench, Kamilla Cardoso was the team’s top scorer (18, her career SEC high) and rebounder (13) in just 21 minutes on the court. South Carolina came out with stifling defense early, posting a nine-point lead after the opening quarter, and never looked back.

This season, South Carolina is 4-0 vs. ranked teams, and those four are the second most by any team this season as are the Gamecocks’ three top-15 victories.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2dhbWVjb2Nrc29ubGluZS1jb20vMjAyNC8wMS8wNzlkMzIzOS1jYXJkb3NvXzI0MDEwN18wNDRfd2ViLmpwZw.png

(Phote courtesy South Carolina Athetics)

I understand that LSU only goes about 6-7 deep. Hopefully we wear them down half way through 3rd quarter.

Ready for the big game but I don't think LSU will be ready for our D. Should be a close first half but by the 3rd we will blow them away.

Raven Johnson drives and hits the layup!! 75-70 Gamecocks! LSU fouls to stop the clock with 9 seconds to play......she hits one free throw to make it 76-70! Misses the 2nd try, but Raven gets the rebound, and the Gamecocks dribble out the clock to win the game 76-70!!!

Raven Johnson drives and hits the layup!! 75-70 Gamecocks! LSU fouls to stop the clock with 9 seconds to play......she hits one free throw to make it 76-70! Misses the 2nd try, but Raven gets the rebound, and the Gamecocks dribble out the clock to win the game 76-70!!!
Damn what a gut check. LSU had EVERYTHING going for them and the girls refused to fold. I honestly thought we were toast at about the 5 minute mark.

That being said I believe we would beat them 9 out of 10 times. I don't see how they could play much better than tonight and I don't see how we could play much worse.

Damn what a gut check. LSU had EVERYTHING going for them and the girls refused to fold. I honestly thought we were toast at about the 5 minute mark.

That being said I believe we would beat them 9 out of 10 times. I don't see how they could play much better than tonight and I don't see how we could play much worse.

LSU really out-played us for 3.5 out of 4 quarters of basketball. They led 51-44 a little more than 4 minutes left to play in the 3rd Period, then we out-scored them 32-19 the rest of the way. Out-rebounded us 33-27 through 3 quarters, but we took the boards 12-4 in the final stanza to ultimately win that battle.

In the final quarter, we shot 3-4 (.750) from the three, 8-14 (.571) overall, and 5-6 (.833) from the free throw line to close out the game strongly. We were 6-7 from the field at the end, while LSU was 1-7.

I agree that we'd win 9/10 times. LSU actually got a bit lucky to jump out on us in the opening period at home like they did - the Gamecocks had to climb out of that hole each of the next 3 quarters, which they did. Cardoso was unusually anemic in the 1st half with only 3 pts and 3 rebounds, and both Watkins and Feagin picked up 2 fouls each early in the 1st half to hamstring them. Highly doubtful that LSU would get that fortunate again for future match-ups - they had the Gamecocks blinking early, but weren't able to capitalize enough to get the win. That may not happen again.....

LSU's D was thrusting outward toward us to keep us out of the paint most of the game. I really thought Pau-pau was going to clank away the game from the perimeter and maybe so did LSU.

I think Bree hitting those two 3s changed LSU's mindset enough to guard the perimeter and finally open things up for Raven in the end. I also thought our D stiffened-up at the just the right time and forced LSU's Gs to throw up bad shots when it counted.

Two well-coached teams, but one had to lose and glad it wasn't us. Dawn has a better fashion sense than Kim Mulkey, too. Would have hated to lose to that shiny tiger outfit, too. Geezy. LOL

I can't figure out why Fulwiley doesn't get more run... she absolutely blistered lsu in her 10 minutes of action
The missed FT's could have been big but we hit them in the clutch, Kitts missing FT's was a head scratcher and she played really well in the 1st to keep us close
lsu might be the only team that can match our size inside and it frustrated us a little but great win in a super hostile environment!

Dawn and the team need to rest up today and then get some love from the fans at the Mizzou game tomorrow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-D4cSpTCBM
I like how Liz McMillan, or whoever it was, shut down the BS BYU scheduling question.
I have a slightly different take on the this. Post game conference with LSU was not the time or place for this question, but it is a question that needs to be addressed by Dawn at some point. Coach Staley was very vocal when the MO athletic director made an accusation that felt was untrue. Great to use the platform to defend against an accusation that you thought was wrong, but on the flip side, when you get it wrong publicly, you need to correct the record also.

I can't figure out why Fulwiley doesn't get more run... she absolutely blistered lsu in her 10 minutes of action
The missed FT's could have been big but we hit them in the clutch, Kitts missing FT's was a head scratcher and she played really well in the 1st to keep us close
lsu might be the only team that can match our size inside and it frustrated us a little but great win in a super hostile environment!
There were a lot of heroes in that game yesterday. Kitts in the 1st Q, Fulwiley in the 2nd Q, Cardoso in the 3rd Q, Paopao, Hall and Johnson in the 4th Q. Great team effort.

I have a slightly different take on the this. Post game conference with LSU was not the time or place for this question, but it is a question that needs to be addressed by Dawn at some point. Coach Staley was very vocal when the MO athletic director made an accusation that felt was untrue. Great to use the platform to defend against an accusation that you thought was wrong, but on the flip side, when you get it wrong publicly, you need to correct the record also.

BYU found no evidence of wrong-doing, but Duke doubled-down and stuck by their coaches and players.

Just for context at the time, this actually happened at Colorado St. and they issued a formal apology:

As Utah State men's basketball player Max Schluga stepped up to the free throw line during Saturday night's game against Colorado State, the 6'4'' junior heard something disturbing coming from the stands. "Russia! Russia!" opposing fans chanted at Schluga – who is from Ukraine.

Schluga, whose hometown is Kyiv, still has family in the war-torn country, which has been under attack from Russia for almost a year.
"Following tonight's basketball game, we became aware that a small group of individuals in our student section chanted 'Russia' at a student-athlete from Utah State, who is from the Ukraine," the statement reads.

"On behalf of Colorado State, we apologize to the student-athlete and Utah State," the statement continues. "This is a violation of our steadfast belief in the Mountain West Sportsmanship Policy and University Principles of Community."

I think Dawn figured she could probably worry herself into a grave trying to decide if the allegations against BYU were true or not, or she could cancel the game and focus on winning a NC instead.

She was basically saying, "No one is going to do something similar to me or my girls." Looking the other way might have had a negative impact on recruiting out West as well.

Whether the BYU stuff actually happened or not, the CSU stuff really did. Once she took a stand, I don't remember hearing of any more similar incidents.

She basically saved BYU from a ridiculous beat-down anyway. LOL

I had forgotten about the BYU stuff until they asked her the question, but I think she made the right call in hindsight. Just my two cents, which people are free to disagree with.

Thanks for your input. Probably best not to comment on this further because inevitably it will turn political.