Counting down to 2021 Duke's Mayo Bowl

South Carolina Football Schedule South Carolina Gamecocks' vs. North Carolina Tar heels North Carolina Football Schedule

The countdown has finished!

GO COCKS WIN!!

The venting thread

There were no notable athletes in Shane's first class in 2008.

It took him a year to get settled in and get going.  His classes after that were pretty good.

107.5 had a great interview with Mangus last week.

He said you have to try your best to coach an athlete, but if that doesn't work, then you have to recruit a better player.

I believe that's where we are at right now with too many of our players, but I believe Shane will get things shored up enough in Year 2.

Here the current SEC East standings:

CONF OVERALL HOME ROAD NEUTRAL PF PA STRK
 Georgia 5-0 7-0 4-0 2-0 1-0 269 46 W7
 Kentucky 4-1 6-1 5-0 1-1 0-0 199 135 L1
 Florida 2-3 4-3 3-1 1-2 0-0 241 148 L1
 Tennessee 2-3 4-4 3-2 1-2 0-0 299 212 L2
 South Carolina 1-4 4-4 3-1 1-3 0-0 167 196 L1
 Missouri 0-3 3-4 3-2 0-2 0-0 241 260 L1
 Vanderbilt 0-4 2-6 1-4 1-2 0-0 106 283 L3

The Vols have a bye this week like we do, but play #12 UK the next week and will most certainly lose to go to 2-4 in the SEC.

Find a way to beat the Gators in two weeks and we would likely be in a 3-way tie for third in the SEC East.  It wouldn't be pretty, but better than nothing.

Find a way.

Stay positive.  Stay focus.

4 hours ago, cocky0 said:

No venting from me. It's too early for that. I'm not sold on the "fire Satterfield" sentiment either.

That said, Adkins needs to never coach again.

Agree bro, I am trying my best to hold onto the end of season on Satterfield. Adkins for sure though...

114th in total offense after last night

I'm not sure how, but there are actually 16 teams averaging fewer yards per game than we are. But we are consistently terrible at both running and passing the ball, as we are 102nd in rushing offense and 89th in passing offense. Most importantly, we are 112th in scoring offense. Guess scapegoats are Sat and Adkins.

If Satterfield is public enemy No. 1 on South Carolina message board, offensive line coach Greg Adkins might be a close second. Fair or not, Adkins has been a scapegoat for the problems up front after inheriting a group that had more than 100 appearances among its projected starters. To Adkins’ and Beamer’s credit, THE Gamecocks have made an effort to mix up the line combinations both by design and due to a handful of injuries. Premises aside, it shows a willingness to adapt and correct. South Carolina’s offense has a wealth of issues, but if it can’t block, it can’t do much of anything. The Gamecocks have to get better up front if they’re to somehow steal a pair of wins and get to a bowl game.

So we should be happy that in the second half when they were playing their scrubs we won??? We got blown out, let’s not sugar coat it. 

And Brown may be all we have but that stat sheet sucks. 84 yards and 2 INTs. Maybe it’s just coach speak but I read through that. It just seems like Shane is still trying to figure out what he has both in players and coaches and that’s frustrating. But to be fair I said the same about Spurrier early on. But Spurrier and Shane are in two different places in their career when at SC.

I didn’t expect us to be much better wins vs loses but let’s at least look better coached. Which we do not look.

Not really a vent but a question.  Is the problem on the O line scheme or talent.  With 8 games behind us, fall and spring practice behind us how long does it take to learn a new scheme, is it that complicated?  Is the scheme wrong for SEC football.  Give the coaches credit they are trying different things.  But at the end of the day what's the issue.  D has issues too but that's another post.

4 hours ago, CockyinVa said:

Not really a vent but a question.  Is the problem on the O line scheme or talent.  With 8 games behind us, fall and spring practice behind us how long does it take to learn a new scheme, is it that complicated?  Is the scheme wrong for SEC football.  Give the coaches credit they are trying different things.  But at the end of the day what's the issue.  D has issues too but that's another post.

We've always had decent OL play. We certainly had it last year. Wolfie was a good coach. CSE was a good coach. I've never seen us field an oline this bad before, not when we were 0-11.

Apples and oranges here. What I do not understand is why Clemson offense is in the toilet, just as bad as the Gamecocks. They have the talent and same coaches. WHY? When I think about I ease up. Just will wait till season ends. trying my best not to knees jerk reaction here. Got to what.....

1 hour ago, FeatheredCock said:

Apples and oranges here. What I do not understand is why Clemson offense is in the toilet, just as bad as the Gamecocks. They have the talent and same coaches. WHY? When I think about I ease up. Just will wait till season ends. trying my best not to knees jerk reaction here. Got to what.....

I think Lawrence and Etienne carried that offense and maybe covered up some warts that are showing up now.

Etienne was very good at making his cuts at the right time, just like Lattimore for us.

3 hours ago, FeatheredCock said:

Perhaps Jeff Scott was the brains behind the offense?  It is weird how the wheels have come off on offense up there.  (and I LOVE it)

11 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg said:

Perhaps Jeff Scott was the brains behind the offense?  It is weird how the wheels have come off on offense up there.  (and I LOVE it)

I'm right there with you.  I think they're becoming too predictable at times on offense.  Whenever Venables goes, they will definitely be done.  

• +1 1

Looking at the team my first thought is ouch.  Then I watch and try to remain neutral, the biggest thing for me is remembering these are college kids.  With most programs it takes weeks if not longer to get adjustments to work. Even young NFL teams have an issue getting adjustments to stick.  I’m not defending anyone but i also know that WM left the offense bare.  Even with all the transfers on D we had 2x the talent on that side.  Couple that with a new incoming vision and it makes it even more difficult.  I fully expect that Beamer will hit the transfer portal hard again, and to also see an open competition at all spots on O.  That being said I still have full faith in Beamer and his vision, he took over a 2 win team with a ton of transfers.  I know it’s rough right now but we as fans can’t jump straight to blowing it up less than a season in.

• Like 1

Taternet got hacked the week of their game with UGA and I have to clear my temporary Internet files after each time I lurk over there because my browser acts a little goofy.

That being said, I haven't lurked there lately.  I am sure it's a bigger dumpster fire right now than it usually is.

Shane seems to be doing the prudent thing by giving our guys enough time off during the bye week so they can forget about football and come back more positive.

Somehow finding a way to win out after the bye week would be quite awesome if we could pull it off.  Not likely, but I knew we were going to be underdogs this season anyway.

This was a good week to have off for the team and the fans. Game week just a few days away. I reflected myself as where we are and 4-4 pretty much what I did expect. If the Gamecocks would have had a better showing with the wins and loses would have put fans more at eases. Their are 4 left and 2 wins away from punching a ticket to a bowl game. Who knows lets play and see where all the chips fall. 

Years ago when Spurrier was struggling with the Redskins job I made a half-joking prediction to my buddy that Holtz would retire and Spurrier would come coach the gamecocks.  I am going to go ahead and put Matt Rhule into play for the Gamecocks.  I figure if Rhule cannot get the NFL thing figured out by the end of next year or the following and things do not go well here, he will come coach the Gamecocks.  He is known for turning college programs around and seems, at least at the moment, to be in a little over his skis with the Panthers.  I hope I am wrong on both and Beamer and Rhule are wildly successful right where they are now.